on 26 July 2016
I have used Air Zound horns almost daily for 10 years. I love it and feel bare on a bike in heavy traffic without one. But...

Pumping is a major problem. You'll want to top up the pressure after you have used a bit - for me about every week. I have used 8 different pumps and only one of these worked remotely well. Screw-on pumps are very difficult to use because the brass Schrader valve rotates inside the Zound unit. It is usually possible to get it on and inflate, but removing the pump from the Zound unit is hard – I have to resort to long nose pliers damaging the thread and the rubber insert. A pump without an accurate pressure gauge visible when pumping is unsatisfactory as you are either not inflating enough or too much – it is not like a tyre where you can feel the pressure by squeezing with your thumb. Pumps that slot directly onto the valve without a hose are poor because the Air Zound connection to the handlebars is so weak that you have to be extremely careful not to break the plastic fitting whilst pumping hard enough to achieve full pressure.

The manufacturers need to make the valve not able to rotate inside the casing and they should recommend a specific pump model (or 3) that work really well. I recommend a track pump with long hose to reach handlebars from floor with some slack with decent gauge and snap-fit head/thumb lock lever.

Second major problem is the strength of the handlebar fixing. The last 3 units I have bought all broke at this weak point. I try to be very careful but potholes/leaning bike against railings/other bikes leant against mine/... - this is by far the weakest thing on the whole bike. Once the whole horn-trigger assembly came off whilst cycling and went into the front wheel – not good for a cycle safety aid! Current unit is held on with two cable ties diagonally crossed over which works ok but there is some movement, looks cheap and is not demountable (except by cutting and replacing ties). Heavier duty plastic or metal fitting and fittings to cope with different handlebar diameters please.

Come on someone – please invent a slightly dearer model resolving these flaws! I want easy pumping, solid handlebar fixing and ideally some options to place trigger within thumb reach of normal riding position so can reach during braking emergency stop!

Remove the volume adjuster by simply pulling it out of the hole with pliers and throw it away – why would you get this horn and then quieten it?!

Finally, I've never used at a pedestrian - you definitely need a bell as well for a polite ting. The bell can be away from the ergonomic position as you won't be in extremis for that use.
4 people found this helpful
on 24 August 2016
This has been an excellent addition to my commuting armoury.

First off, it's very very loud. If you're about to hit pedestrians who've walked into the road without looking, typically holding their phones, their ears plugged into their phones, their eyes glued to their phones, the sound of this horn is one of the few things that will penetrate from the real world into theirs (along with you colliding with them - but the first is better). A tinkle on a regular bell just can't be heard - or, if it is, is often ignored. You want something that will not only be heard, but make someone who's about to cause a crash to jump back with a little fear - and this makes it sound like a truck is coming! Obviously the point is not to scare people unnecessarily: I'd keep a regular bell on your handlebars too for polite rings to indicate your presence when there's no danger. But if a collision is imminent, if a taxi is swerving into your lane, if a lorry is overtaking at a pinch point, you need the AirZound's huge volume to signal your presence.

You can velcro the bottle to various parts of your bike, or keep it in a bottle cage. However, I prefer to store it in one of the rear compartments of my Brompton bag. The bag clips onto the front of the Brompton above the front wheel, so when I set off I clip the bag on, unzip a rear pocket where all the AirZound gubbins is, take out the horn and clip it to my handlebars, then zip up the compartment again leaving a little gap for the tube to come out. I keep the bottle upside down in the bag to reduce the length of spare tubing dangling. After a ride, I unclip the horn and bung it back in the bag - all very quick. The plastic part which is permanently attached to my handlebars is very sturdy and hardwearing, and the clip mechanism is quick and reliable. I must have clipped and unclipped the horn more than a thousand times since I bought it, and there's no sign of wear on any part of the mechanism.

You can select the volume by turning a dial, which changes the airflow, but I always keep mine at the max, and use another bell or my voice if it's not appropriate to give a blast. You fill up the bottle by pump, using the valve just underneath the horn button. I generally refill the bottle every two to three weeks, probably using the horn once every three days, but if you're lucky enough not to have to commute through London, it'll last longer. Just like bicycle tyres, if you pump the bottle up to the max (about 80psi, depending on the temperature - if you don't have a guage on your pump then just pump until you can barely pump any more - the bottle can take it!) and then leave it for weeks, it'll lose pressure, so bear that in mind if you've been away and are wondering why you're getting more of a whimper than a bang.

Finally, I'd recommend this over similar, electronic devices like the Hornet, not just because they rely on batteries, and this you can recharge anywhere so long as you have a pump with you, but because this makes the sort of sound which leaves other road users in no doubt as to what's going on. It's like a car horn, or even a truck horn: the message is "I'm here" or "Get out of the way!" Though other products may compete in volume, they can't replicate this sort of sound: they emit beeps, bleeps, buzzes, wah-wahs - all sorts of things, but none of them instantly recognisable by a pedestrian or driver as a warning, and some perhaps confusable with a car alarm. The extra time needed to interpret electronic sounds is a drawback: it's no good explaining to someone that the high-pitched pulse they heard was coming from you, and as a warning, but only after they've knocked you off your bike.
6 people found this helpful
on 15 September 2017
Amazing product, has saved my life several times.

This horn really packs a punch and allows everyone to know that you are where you are. Can be heard clearly through cars and causes an immediate response from the driver.

It is easy to fill and will last a long time for casual cyclists.

The only issue I have is the random discharges of air, I used to come back to my bike and the trigger would be flipped up and I would wonder why, until one day I was cycling and saw it flip up suddenly as a short burst of air escaped the filling valve. Please note this does not happen very often and does not have a significant impact on the store of compressed air at all. It's unnoticeable but you'll just have to flip the trigger back down once every week or so.

I would highly suggest this for anyone cycling on a regular basis, especially commuter dealing with heavy traffic or fast roads.

10/10
2 people found this helpful
on 4 October 2016
This is super loud. No matter how much fun it sounds like - don't let it off in the house to scare your partner. You will scare your partner for sure, as well as yourself, your dog and your hamster. My ears were ringing afterwards.

My only issue is build quality. The canister and tube are great. The horn itself seems to be quite sturdy, but the mounting onto the handlebars is aweful. It came with a single cable-tie to hold the horn onto a piece of plastic, similar to the image attached but white. The first time I press the horn, this tie snaps and leaves the horn dangling by the tube, bashing against the side of my bike.

So I thought I would fix it myself, and use 2 flat cable ties that are much more sturdy. It has held in place since, but every time I press the button, the horn moves around quite a bit. Cable ties aren't a good subsitute to good engineering, and the supplied cable tie certainly should be strong enough to hold the horn in place.

I'm still using the Air Zound, and would recommend it to anyone that cycles on roads regularly. Just a shame about this one thing, and I hope the next Air Zound fixes this!
review image
on 14 April 2016
Loud! Sharp high-pitch airhorn sound, cuts through town centre noise and is very effective at "helping" pedestrians who step out into the road (or wander across marked bike paths) without looking.

It's so loud and harsh I would strongly recommend having a traditional little bell on your bike as well, for the times when you want to convey a gentle "excuse me" sentiment rather than the harsh "OI, BUMFACE!" message that you'll produce with this!

Mine came with some big sticky velcro, so I have the air tank mounted on my bike frame without putting it in my bottle holder. I believe it also came with zip ties as well (or I might have used some of my own, I forget).

You fill the tank by flipping the "button" up on the horn, to reveal a Presta (MTB-type) tyre valve underneath. Hook your pump on to that and fill like it's a tyre. You'll know when you need to fill it again - the sound gets quieter and eventually gives up entirely.
on 19 April 2017
I have always used these, I have two now, have had 6 over the years on various bikes believe me they WORK especially on morons stepping off pavements in front of you with headphones and idiot drivers

LOUDER than car horns
on 26 January 2016
I have this on one bike and the battery powered "World's Loudest Cycle Horn" on another - this sounds just as loud to me and it's a proper car-horn sound which makes drivers take it seriously. It sounds like it's coming from another road vehicle, which it is and that's what you want. On the battery one you have a choice of a kind of loud alarm sound or a quieter and very high pitched horn sound, a bit confusing for drivers..
I managed to fit it to a Brompton just fine with the bottle on top of the main frame element that runs front to back.
Definitely recommended.
on 23 February 2013
The Airzound 3 is a pretty good bit of kit - nice and loud (ears ringing in the garage after use) and not too heavy or bulky.

The one negative is that anyone with a think pair of handlebars, as is typical on a road bike, is going to struggle to fit it without inventing some sort of mount. The provided mount only fits the normal size of handlebar that you get at the end of a flatbar handlebar. It also fits less well with drop handlebars - you'd probably want to have a good think of where you want to mount it, convenient to use, but in the way of some handlebar positions, or less convenient to use but out of the way somewhere in the middle.

Easy to use, and just needs a basic bike pump and a bit of care to fill up.

All it needs is an alternative mount for larger bars, a few pence worth of plastic.
on 15 June 2015
Had over 2 years of use out of this now and somewhat amazingly it's still working, despite its plasticky build quality!
The air bottle is bulky to fit to your frame with the Velcro provided and it can be awkward finding space on your handlebars for the horn assembly if they're a bit overcrowded with front lights, gear levers etc, but once fitted and pumped up with your tyre pump, this thing is SUPER LOUD! You WILL be heard!
The main criticism is it's flimsy quality. Surely it wouldn't take much for the manufacturer to spend just a little more on better quality materials for its construction...? People would pay more in the knowledge that it would be sure to give many years of service.
on 18 February 2017
This is very loud, definitely gets all road users attention. Other than that everything is fairly negative IMO. Feels cheap and tacky, felt like something that should cost fiver not £20.
The bottle is see through plastic, not what is pictured here. Bottle attachment doesn't take account of brake cable etc. The cable ties had been folded in the wrong direction etc. Vokume control is very flimsy. I don't expect it to last long.