on 28 July 2016
Light entertainment. OK, the tales that make-up the story are slightly less-than-wholly-believable. However, in this age of rush, rush, rush, we do need certain distractions, and this tale certainly - and humorously - detracts. I have not had such a 'fun' read since James Herriot. That the author really is a doctor lends some credence to his vividly imagined episodes. So what! It's miles better than Star Trek, or so very true-to-life murder and mayhem books that proliferate the mass market. I enjoyed this light, bed-time reading, and shall no doubt proceed to purchase the remainder of the series.
on 19 December 2014
A breath of fresh air!
Apart from a few repetitions, Coleman's style is so relaxing I felt at home with this book from page one. In my opinion, the chronicles are better even than the Herriot series - the characters alive and three dimensional without exception. The writer shows immense empathy with his characters, funny and serious, making it the most refreshing read I've experienced in ages. I think it goes without saying that I loved this, the first offering I've read, and that I intend to read them all. I'd love to say more, but it's late and I can't wait to get to bed to read the next book in the series.
'Scuse the plug below, but we've all got to live!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00HYN3A9E Death Must Go On! Mac Fletcher
on 28 June 2017
I am already on book five in the series, and will buy any/ all future books written by Vernon , Best books i have ever found for a very long time,
Cannot wait to hear what next for Vernon and Patsy, i would like to rate these books 100 if i could.
on 2 October 2017
As a person who struggles to have a good nights sleep, I found this book great. It was easy to read, the author has an interesting style.
on 16 May 2016
A well written, easy to read account of a newly qualified doctor setting out in general practice. A bit wet behind the ears he learns a lot both from his senior GP and the patients he works with. Both heart warming and heart breaking in places, it is generally a feel good book emphasising that happiness and contentment are not bought with money.
on 10 June 2014
Love this author and am already on to Book 3 of the Bilbury Chronicles. Another reviewer mentioned the likeness to James Herriot and yes, I would agree. His writing transports you in exactly the same way. You want to live in Bilbury and never leave it. His friends become yours, so well does he write. A treasure trove of a find to work my way through .... all his books!!
on 9 June 2014
I decided to download this book more in hope than confidence, but I was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed Vernon Coleman's account of the fledgling doctor's ups and downs in his first appointment as G.P. One, somewhat, small thing which I found strange in all the books was that the story is told in the First Person, but no other character in the book ever calls him by his name. I did not completely understand whether this was a factual auto-biography about Vernon Coleman or whether the Doctor, ( the main character in the book) was a fictional creation. I find it hard to understand why nobody, not even his wife, ever referred to The Doctor by his first (or even his second) name. I like to know the name of the person with whom I am becoming involved in a book. It is a lovely pen -picture of rural English life, if a little like a Fairy-tale, in that everything happens very rapidly, -get the job, car, wife, country house, et a, l in the space of a few months.!! I was very eager to download the second book, which I also enjoyed. But the third book has lost me and I am a few weeks, now, ploughing through it and I find I am not drawn into it , as I was with the earlier books. I will finish it, but only to give it a fair reading.
on 21 June 2014
As I was born in N Devon I recognised lots of the places mentioned in this book. It is certainly not a deep read, but is an easy read and believable. I shall get more of the series in due course. There is a mixture of sadness and comedy which sums up most people's lives. Probably this will appeal to over 50 year olds, but should suit both men and women. The mystery is why I had not heard of these books before!
on 19 February 2018
Lovely author.. wish I could find all in book form.. do not do Kindle
on 16 March 2017
I read this book over several nights and I found it very funny but at other times very sad and moving. I am looking forward to the next in the series and if only half as good it will not disappoint.