on 3 November 2011
I always hated this album, it is meat and potatoes rock music, Roger Daltrey's vocal delivery is bombastic and pompous, however, there are some good songs on there. I had a friend who, unlike the rest of us, could afford the expense of a double album when this was released and he played this endlessly when we went back to his house after playing football in the early evening. I never liked it at the time, I found the songs dull and boring.

Later I jsut became annoyed that the misconception that the title of the album (never a "Rock Opera", what a pretentious idiot this makes Townshend sound) which is based on the common misunderstanding of schziphrenia, which mean split mind but has nothing whasoever to do with split personality. This album shoul, therefore, have been called Multiple Personality Disorder.

Don't get me wrong I love a lot of the Who's work, I am delighted that we can now get a decent version of their debut album My Generation [Deluxe Edition] after years of only being able to get a substandard and inferior US version Sings My Generation. The first album that I went out and bought myself was A Quick One,Sell Out is a magnificent concept album, so it is not concept albums thta I object to, the expanded Deluxe Edition is simply magnificent. I had my reservations about Tommy but it just makes it despite the pretentious "Rock Opera" conceit. Then the magnificent pinnacle of their career Who's Next. This album it contained the brilliant songs that Townshend had written at the time but was so successful because these songs escaped from the woeful Lifehouse concept that collapsed under the weight of it's own pomposity.

Never forget that albums like this were one of the reasons why Punk took off so spectacularly in 1976/77.
I can listen to this album and enjoy it but it still comes well below The Who By Numbers and Who Are You in my estimation, and they come well after this band's peak. It does however come above the most undererved of so called "classic" albums Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols, that "album" is just three great but previously released singles and some very poor filler. Quadrophenia does have some good song but all this hype is still just hype. People who write these glowing reviews are just embarrassing themselves. Buy any of their previous albums before you buy this.
1010 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 June 2014
Careful, Amazon erroneously lists this as live and widescreen. This is in fact, as the product description correctly states, the 5.1 surround version of the classic studio album by the Who on Blu-ray disc (audio only).
77 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 June 2014
This is an audio Blu-Ray of the original Quadrophenia album; it really has nothing to do with the recent Live in London release except that this Blu-Ray is included as a bonus in the super deluxe box.

What you get is FOUR versions of the 1973 recording of Quadrophenia, selectable via setup options:

1. DTS-HD 5.1 remix of the entire album in 96kHz/24-bit audio.

2. Dolby TrueHD of the same 5.1 remix.

3. Stereo version of the new remix in 96/24

4. Original stereo mix in 96/24

A few notes are in order. All the audio sounds good, but the DTS-HD remix sounds slightly better to me. The 5.1 mix seems to be essentially the same as the partial 5.1 mix on the earlier Quad deluxe box, for those tracks that are in common, though I have not compared them closely. The low end seems more powerful on this version though (could be my imagination). I love hearing it in surround sound; this is one album where surround really seems to work.

The music is accompanied by still black and white photos with a Quadrophenia theme, including the excellent photos from the original album insert.

The new stereo mix is exceptionally clear but slightly odd; the separation is too great at times. For example, on The Real Me, the bass guitar is way to the left, and the lead guitar way to the right. I believe this is essentially a downmix from the 5.1 mix and not that much trouble was taken with it. However it is the default if you play the Blu-Ray on a stereo system.

The original 1973 mix on the other hand sounds superb; it is inevitably a bit murkier than the 2014 mixes but for me this is the true mix if you want to listen in stereo. I believe it is the same transfer as done for the expensive Japan-only SHM-SACD a year or two back but cannot verify this; however it is better than any CD version that I've heard (and I don't think the resolution is the main reason).

You also get a fold-out booklet with the photos from the original, though NOT the introductory story beginning "I had to go to the psychiatrist every week"; no matter, you probably have a copy somewhere else.

Blu-ray audio has a few annoyances. When I play it with PowerDVD on a PC, it only plays if the screen I am using has an HDMI connection, to protect the "video" content, even though there is none!

Still, I think this is a great release since you get two fantastic mixes in one package: the new 5.1, and a superb transfer of the original 1973 stereo.

It hurts a bit to give it 5 stars, since this SHOULD have been in the expensive big box that I have already bought, but well, it is not that expensive and I am so glad to have it that I can almost forgive them.
44 Comments| 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 June 2014
Pre ordered the pure audio blu ray a couple of days before release only to find Amazon have reduced the price by almost 25% just a week after release. Won't be pre ordering anything else that's for sure. The disc itself is not the most engaging 5.1 mix but decent quality for music first recorded in 1973.
55 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 26 June 2014
I'll confess: I'm not the world's biggest Who fan - I've always felt that in the rock pantheon, they are somewhat overrated. I love the early singles, but find much of their work contrived, overly clinical and lacking in visceral flow, while as stylists, the band as instrumentalists have often left me cold. These comments are simply a reflection of my personal taste.

However, I am a big fan of 'Quadrophenia', believing that it belongs in every serious collection of Rock music and I've always enjoyed its scope, visionary quality, audacity and - as I'm a big reader (and published literary critic) - its story, which for me is an iconic piece of 'youth culture' fiction. Also, as an example of that much-maligned form, the concept album, it's a blinder.

This will not be a detailed audiophile comparison style review, as I don't feel I know the album as well as serious Who fans will. I've played it a fair bit over the years, but it's not in my top 20 albums as it were. However, I'll state unequivocally now that I believe that this BRA (Blu Ray Audio) should be regarded as the reference version of the album.

The Pure Audio series of BRAs have come in for a fair amount of stick - a lot of it deserved - from Hi Def enthusiasts, as they have so often promised so much, but delivered little. Common complaints have been lack of surround mixes (quite right in most cases), minimal menu screening and immediate programme start before you can even select which audio option you prefer to hear and so on. Plus, it's virtually impossible to find BRAs in high street shops. So far in this series, I've purchased the first VU album (stereo only, but excellent), the sole Sex Pistols album (not bad) and Deep Purple's 'Made In Japan' (nice, but no 5.1 mix!!!). Altogether, I own about 50 surround/hi-def discs on various formats (not including Japanese SHMCDs and Japanese Blu Spec 2 cds), so I'm a bit of a hi-res/surround veteran.

I'm delighted to say that Pure Audio have, with this release, produced the best disc of theirs I've heard yet. The disc has a proper top menu (there are four audio options including the original 1973 stereo version) and best of all, when you select your preferred audio setting and select play, the disc has a PROPER screen-saver, which means that if you have a plasma TV like me, there is no risk of screenburn from a static image -instead, the disc slideshow-fades through the iconic black and white photographs from the booklet we all know and love from the original vinyl and CD issues of the album. So while the music plays, Jimmy's 'story' unfolds before our eyes. This is a much welcome improvement from a static image for an entire album, or a picture change for each track.

The sound is, quite simply, fantastic. Beautifully clear, with plenty of space in the soundscape, no distortion (other than that which is part of the electric instruments' tone colours), enough panning to satisfy those of us who like this novelty (what's the point of 5.1 for rock music without a bit of these dynamic effects?) and nice separation of the instruments. Fundamentally, if you like this album, you must own this version. In fact, I'd urge every rock fan with a BD and a 5.1 home theatre kit to buy this disc. Great stuff!

Pure Audio now have quite a lot to live up to with the raising of the bar this disc represents for their series. I'm inclined to think the disc is this good because of Pete Townsend's insistence on a high quality product for fans, so if so, thanks Pete and as for Pure Audio, you guys now have to continue issuing high-standard discs like this.

Some words about Amazon's handling of this release. As I write (26/6/14), it's been impossible to buy this disc from Amazon for nearly a week, if not longer. This is because they made a pigs' ear of the product listing by merging reviews from the different versions of the 2014 'Quadrophenia Live' issued on the same day as this BRA in multiple formats. The current picture of the product here on Amazon shows a standard blue plastic blu ray case, which this disc does NOT come in - it comes in a plain, transparent blu ray case with the legend 'High Fidelity Pure Audio' on the front, as is common to every release in this series. Some customer has complained, saying the item is not what they were led to believe it was, but despite Amazon's cross-posting of reviews for other products, this is the fault of the buyer in my opinion - and it has meant that other customers have not been able to buy this item while the dispute is investigated by amazon. My suspicion is that the use of the word 'widescreen' has led someone to assume this is a BD video. Well, the video material (the slideshow I refer to above) IS widescreen. Shame that just because some people can't understand that a BRA is different to a BD video, buyers have to go elsewhere...but then Amazons' use of an image that uses a blu case muddied the waters (this appeared AFTER the disc was released).

Consequently, I bought my copy from third party affliliate sellers Tracksounds-es, who delivered the disc within 2 days for a very reasonable postage charge. Amazon, sort yourselves out, please!

The above aside, I'll sum up again and say : this is a big leap forward for Pure Audio and all Who fans will love this version.
11 Comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 March 2007
I had the original vinyl pressing of this work of art, and unless my music system is playing tricks on me, I have to question where some of the instruments have gone? Most noticed is the lack of the piano on the track "I'm One" - this is just for starters, The whole CD album just sounds so different (not better) to the vinyl version. This is the reason I've given it four stars when I should be giving it five. This is no fault of the artistes it's some meddler thinking he/she can change things for the better. Something like that new Beatles compilation with George Martin & Son. With Quadrophenia I expected the original sound but cleaner without the static and scratches of vinyl, but sounds are definitely missing. Anyone else care to comment?
55 Comments| 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 13 September 2008
Coming back to this album after many years without hearing it, I'm struck by the complexity of the songs, the wit and emotion of the lyrics and the sheer quality of the musicianship. If anyone tries to tell you that The Who were overrated, play them this album.

Just from the opening song 'The Real Me', you hear the most extraordinary rhythm-section in rock as Moon and Entwistle lock in and syncopate more tightly and intensely than they ever had before, and it's right at the front of the mix! The slicing of Townshend's guitar and Daltrey's raw vocal almost feel like afterthoughts. But everyone is operating at the peak of their ability.

Personally, my favourite song is 'Sea and Sand'. The protagonist is Jimmy, the young Mod eventually played by Phil Daniels in the 1979 film. He describes his disfunctional family-life juxtaposed with the fantasies fuelled by his nightlife at the dancehall. All the highs and lows he experiences seem to desolve into insignificance when he spends his early a.m. hours seeking sleep on the beach. Among the elements, he tries to make sense of his whole crazy existance. This song contains some of Pete Townshend's finest lyrics, and is a terrific musical showcase.

Overall, this album is a masterpiece.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 January 2016
Wrong cd bought
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 May 2010
Many fans of The Who will highlight the 1971 album "Who's Next" as the peak of a band. The epitome of a Classic Album, with hits including Baba O' Reilly, Won't Get Fooled Again, Bargain, Behind Blue Eyes and so on. Who's Next is hit after hit, and many of those fans who argue this album as the best, do, in a way, have a point.

Have no doubt, the peak of The Who as songwriters, musicians and storytellers is found throughout Quadrophenia.

I tend to have a fairly short attention span with music, my preference will always be to see a few bands at a festival for 30minutes a pop to get a taste, rather than stand through a 3 1/2 hour marathon gig. However I love a good story, and concept albums have always seemed quite novel. Rarely do they come off, there are glimpses of it in modern bands; I found the storytelling in Dream Theatre's Scenes from a Memory, meshed with excellent guitar and keys to be very enjoyable, as was hearing previous riffs pop up from time to time throughout the album.

Pink Floyd had a great approach for the concept album, even listening to my dad's vinyl of Joe's Garage by Frank Zappa was novel (and often hilarious!)

Quadrophenia wipes the floor with all of the above.

Back to that short attention span of mine, I can't iterate this enough; I've listened to this album from beginning to end more than every other album has attempted to keep my attention. This isn't background music, whilst surfing on the net. It's one of those albums that's best with a nice beer and a big surround sound stereo system.

The lyrics are profound; "My head is empty, yet every word I say turns out a sentence". Quadrophenia is typical rite of passage story with a twist; transforming the listener to the life of a teenage mod with quadrophenic personalities. The music is concise, although the band had a noteriety of playing for themselves rather than the band (watch the Kilburn to see the resentment between the band members!), it's not heard here. If you break up the performances, they are all at the top of the game, but more than ever, all four of them *play for the album*.

The Ox is very sharp on the bass, his main lead parts are found on Drowned and The Real Me (an outrageous bassline that works a treat). Mad Moony is extremely thoughtful in his drum playing, Pete's songwriting is nothing short of stunning, and if one album wrecked Roger's voice due to such an exceptional performance beginning to end, its this one.

It's important to emphasise all the other instruments on show in this album; keys, trumphets, the works. It adds to the atmosphere, and really sets the mood.

This album can be listened night or day, half way through, but put it this way: you'll get value for money beginning to end.

Simply put, it doesn't have the hits of Who's Next. But it just doesn't seem to matter, because the whole is greater than the parts. Quadrophenia, as an album, has it all.
on 26 June 2017
I have copies of this album on vinyl from the 70s, CD from the 80s and now Bluray Audio from the 10s. The Bluray Pure Audio has both a 5.1 remix and the 2.0 audio only versions in high res 24 bit / 96Khz so you could say this is the definitive quality version of this classic Who album.
I obviously like this album lots so I'll leave you to read other reviews on its musical content, so I'll restrict my comments to this new format and it is that I give 4 stars.
This Hi-Res audio format should be a real winner, unlike previous attempts to drag up the digital quality from MP3 by the likes of SACD and DVD Audio this format can be played back at an improved quality by anyone with a decent standard Bluray Player and surround sound system, so why is it dying on its feet. This disk (along with many of the other disks in this format) as I write this in June 2017 is "currently unavailable" from Amazon! Shameful.
They've done a good job here for both the purist who want to hear the original stereo mix and those like me who want something different in the surround sound version. Normally I'd favour the 5.1 version (as with Hotel California and Rumours DVD Audios) but here I find it a little stretched and hollow. Turn up the volume on the stereo version and/ or put it though a DSP processor to give an artificial surround effect and this is the best version of the album so far. The only reason I've given it 4 rather than 5 stars is that there could have been better video content i.e. more than just a few publicity stills from the movie.
I'm glad I bought it when I found it at a reasonable price as the manufacturers seem determined to make this disks collector items at ridiculous prices, good luck getting one now unless its re-launched.