Customer reviews

Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 6 July 2014
I was lucky enough to see this show when it came to the Cardiff motor point arena about three weeks before this performance was filmed and was very much hoping that this fantastic show would be documented for all time on a official release.

Whilst no DVD can truly capture the magic of being at a concert in person, this DVD is about as good as it gets--- the performances, the visuals, the sound quality are all truly fantastic and finally do live justice to what is perhaps their greatest work.

This DVD is an essential purchase for any fans of the Who and I highly recommend it.
on 15 May 2017
This is excellent, arrived on time and have watched it a few times now.
on 7 February 2015
Absolutely Amazing. I was overwhelmed with what a great performance this is. It is a must for any fan of The Who, or Quadrophenia. Being a bit of a purist when it comes to The Who I only really want to see/hear the original lineups (1964-1985). But this is exceptional. Seriously, buy it

11 out of 10.
on 22 August 2014
The Who really pull off something here that does full justice to their wonderful original album, and perhaps even moves it up a notch. The term 'rock opera' never quite fitted Quadrophenia for me; it was more a piece of realism, rooted in a social history of a time and place, but lifted beautifully by the soaring music and Daltrey's vocal cry into something really special. Tommy was truly a rock opera but became too detached from the original idea, and Ken Russell's film only took the vision even further into the realms of excess. The backdrop visuals to this live performance of Quadrophenia really capture the spirit of the whole thing and add greatly to its success. Perhaps the greatest surprise is that even without Moon and Entwistle, they achieve such a magnificent sound. This is unmistakeably The Who at their absolute best, and as good as they've ever sounded. Daltrey's vocals are still there and God knows how he pulled this off. There's something very moving about seeing him recreate the magic of his glory years and reinhabiting this wonderful character. Townshend is just magnificent, and has an awesome command and presence. He directs the whole performance, and wrings all the energy, passion and tenderness of Quadrophenia through his guitar and voice. It's great credit to the whole band and everyone involved that they should take the original music even further and lift it still higher. At this late stage of The Who story, it's a remarkable achievement for Townshend and Daltrey; without the aid of the naughty boys at the back, to pull off such a testament to their music and legacy.
on 21 December 2015
BRILLIANT - what else would you expect from The Who!!!! Great quality blue ray at reasonable price. Highly recommended seller.
on 9 June 2014
Just watched the Blu-Ray and amazing pic & audio quality.
Classic album performed with backscreen footage of Entwistle & Moon
where you get the feeling they are present in spirit.

Only annoying point is the main Quadrophenia live show is presented as the main concert.
To play the encores you have to go to the extras menu and press play.
It would have just been better to have the whole show run through continuously.
Why some groups do this god only knows.

Quadrophenia Live In London - 1hr 35mins
Encores - 37mins

A documentary or some interviews would have been nice but no other extras.
Still...well worth getting just to really turn it up loud.
44 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 June 2014
Fantastic it was here well before the time of dispatch that I was informed of. The packaging just perfect and obviously the contents were impeccable. This was ordered for father's day so I haven't got any worries.
Karrie
Lifelong Who fans like me will buy this anyway and won't need a review from me to encourage them, but for what it's worth I think this is exceptionally good. It's very well produced, but most importantly the performance of the band is simply brilliant.

I was a little sceptical about whether this would really be any good. A fine show, certainly, and Pete and Roger can always be relied upon but I did wonder about the overall effect. In fact, in places I prefer this to the original album - something I never thought I'd say after 40 years of loving the original. Roger's voice has matured and mellowed somewhat and his diction isn't as crisp as it was but, by God, that heart-racing power is still all there when he needs it. The high notes in Is It In My Head, for example, are still spine-tingling and I'm One is an absolute masterpiece here, I think, with thrilling, thoughtful vocals, some fine acoustic guitar from Pete and superb work from the rest of the band. Age has brought a greater depth and sense of meaning to their performances without losing one jot of their sheer visceral power and excitement. I'm thrilled and a little surprised at how good this is.

I also think special mention should go to Scott Devours on drums. I didn't think it possible for anyone to replace Keith Moon, and in a sense it isn't - he was a unique one-off. Devours has the sense not to try to imitate the inimitable but he gets the sense and feel of the man somehow, and although the drumming isn't Moon and never could be, it feels exactly right and I think it's a brilliant performance which really adds to the set.

The sheer impact of the final three tracks of Quadrophenia - 5.15, The Rock and Love Reign O'er Me - is stunning. I used to sit in my room at university sometimes, put on Side 4 of the album and blow my head off through headphones instead of working. I think it's even more powerful than that in this performance, which is really saying something. (It's great to have the mini-Greatest Hits section at the end, but I have to play that separately.)

The Who were always a great live band. I saw them just the once, at The Valley in 1974, and on this evidence they're still just as good - possibly better in some ways. This isn't just piece for fans to add to their collections and forget about. It's a genuinely excellent live performance of great music and one that I'll be playing for years to come. Very, very warmly recommended.
55 Comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 June 2014
This is a review of the blu ray version of this release .If you love this album then you will adore this blu ray. The sound quality and production are fantastic and the way in which they integrated Keith and John into the performances was genius. Unmissable really.
on 4 January 2015
I'm remembering distant memories Recalling other names.
I remember reading an article in a music paper in the 70's entitled « In awe of the Who » ; considering the achievement this DVD represents it wouldn't be inappropriate to create the word « whosome » as a neologism indicating something as awe inspiring as the Who.
The Who play to the video clip of the century from the aftermath of WWI to the beginning of WW3. I don't know what it means to younger people but, to me, it certainly looks like a very effective means to raise their awareness. The music rages through, deaths and births, war declarations and peace talks, a selbstdarstellung of a generation who has had to face death from an early age, boldly wished for it in its teen years and learnt to accept it as a final fact.
This concert is a touchstone to check whether you are still a human being ; if you are you're bound to cry at one point or another, be it when you perceive the cahos described by the back projections or when the music is so overwhelmingly perfect it permits to resurrect the bassist of the millenium and the eternal boyish drummer no Who fan has ever forgotten.
I saw the Who perform Quadrophenia in the seventies and retrospectively I cannot but be amazed at the performance they produced back then as a four-piece band when Pete could play both rhythm and lead parts and the band had to battle with out synched backing tapes . I'm glad I saw the original line up but I'm also impressed with the stubbornness for perfection that drives Roger and Pete to take up such challenges when they could be resting on their laurels and sip tea at home. Hats off to Pino Palladino and Scott Devours for their total selflessness in accepting little or no exposure and total dedication to the original members. I also fully trust Bob Pridden has done his best with producing the recording. If there has ever been a faithful Who right-hand man through thick an thin he is the one.