on 20 April 2014
Once I got my head round this alternative history of the world post World War 11 I couldn't put it down. It's fast moving, clearly written and
I found myself deep in the affairs of American spying in Britain and the inner workings of the British Intelligence Agency. Nothing is as we know it today. The Americans are no longer our close allies, that's the role of the Russians.
We've even lent a member of our Royal Family to replace Stalin and become the new Russian Tsar. If you're interested in well-known people of the period and their new roles and achievements in society then this book will fulfil all your expectations and fantasies. It's a real thriller and I'm eagerly awaiting the next instalment.
on 14 May 2014
Having realised that named high profile people like Larkin and Amis were not used factually, I enjoyed the fast pace of this thriller. It is essential to remind oneself that this is a work of fiction, not history, in order to open one's mind as to the possibilities of different post war outcomes. Gripping characterisation of the main characters moved the plot on. I was stunned to come to the last page to find .......to be continued. Hope the sequel comes out soon.
on 23 May 2014
I greatly enjoyed the different lives so many celebs enjoy or endure in Frank Lean`s alternative history. John Lennon as a classical composer and conductor still with his Liverpool twang. GOOD STUFF. I look forward to the sequel.
on 14 September 2014
Interesting to see how the world would look if Britain and France beat the Germans as early as 1940. Interesting read and establishes secrecy and the fact a man somehow intervened in Britain in 1935 that changed things immensely which also resulted in the US not being the dominant power after WWII. Hitler is still alive and, who is this man that changed things radically and where did he come from? I have my suspicions.

Anyway, I thought it was a pretty good book that showed an interesting world with some dodgy characters and personalities but also a character who you are interested in knowing who he is.
on 18 May 2014
This novel is a new departure from anything I've read before by Frank Lean.
Once I'd got into the plot I found that I was thoroughly enjoying the alternative post WW2 world he creates. It's a very clever story with lots of enjoyable new roles for the famous people we know from the past. It occurred to me that the cliffhanger we are left with at the end of the book is a device used by many famous novelists. So yes, I really enjoyed the story and am looking forward to more about the characters I've got to know.
on 8 September 2014
It's a very good book and I would have given it 5 stars except that it's only half a book and yes I know it says part one in the title so perhaps I should say a quarter of a book. What I mean is that a lot of what is written in the blurb for the book simply isn't in it. Very frustrating but I will buy part two when it comes out!
on 2 July 2014
So many alternative history novels assume the survival of Nazi Germany but, as the book's subtitle says ("a different future"), this is a fresh new twist to the genre. A terrific read!
on 8 June 2014
I enjoyed this book immensely, giving twists and turns and making me think how small changes in actions can change the whole history of the world. A GREAT HOLIDAY READ!
on 29 July 2014
What was an interesting take on how things could have been different in the UK was spoiled by the book ending abruptly without any conclusion to the story.
on 9 January 2015
Excellent concept with good store line and character development. Let's hope we don't have wait too long for next book on kindle