Top positive review
Initially a bit disappointed but my expectations were at fault, not the product.
on 7 July 2015
I spent quite a while debating over which of the numerous iPad holders on offer would be the most suitable for my needs. Eventually I settled on the Aukey because it seemed to fulfil my list of criteria.
First of all, the good points about this iPad holder:
1) It is well made and uses quality materials.
2) The clamp is very robust and has protective padding on the inside of its jaws which ensure that there is no damage to the surface upon which you are clamping your holder.
3) Once securely clamped to a work surface the goose neck, which is of flexible metal construction, provides plenty of possibilities for positioning your iPad and there is no tendency for any 'droop' once in position.
4) This holder has a metal extension tube for the goose neck. This can be very useful, depending on where you choose to mount your holder.
5) Inserting the iPad into, or taking it out of, the plastic holder requires little effort so there is no risk of marking or dropping the iPad whilst executing either procedure.
6) The plastic holder is also easy to rotate and angle by slackening the plastic collar on its ball joint. Once in position and the collar has been re-tightened the holder is firmly locked in that position.
And then there are the points which I personally found to be somewhat disappointing in its design (I appreciate that my needs may differ to other peoples and so the following issues may not be of concern to you):
1) The actual mount for the iPad is a flexible piece of plastic that clips over the tablet. Having an iPad Air 2 I fitted the small adhesive backed foam pad (supplied) to take up the extra depth but found through trial and error that my iPad actually fitted better without it (its a little loose but at least the clips actually hold the tablet).
2) The clamp works best on square profile desk tops. If you have a bevel edged top the clamp needs to be pushed in the full depth of its 'throat' otherwise there is a tendency for the jaws to spread as the clamp is tightened which results in either an insecure grip or, possibly, the clamp not being able to grip and falling off.
3) I felt that the clamp was somewhat excessive in size for clamping onto an iMac stand. In my set-up my iMac is positioned with the stand against a wall to give maximum desktop space, attaching the iPad holder to the stand necessitated pulling my iMac well clear of the wall thus taking up valuable desk top space (one of my reasons for buying the holder was to help free up this space).
As I say in my title, I was initially a bit disappointed with my purchase and it didn't meet my particular needs which I had in mind for it. However, it is a quality item which will suit many peoples needs perfectly and in a market place with many similar products I do feel that this one is good value for money.