Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£4.99

on 6 June 2014
There are not many times that I would consider buying a CD, without having heard any tracks from it first, but I have with Imelda Mays last two CD's. There are a mix of tracks from uplifting and happy to emotive and tender. This CD is great in the background or loud and in your face as you are strutting your stuff around the house when no one is looking! I have a reputation of being a Mum that had no taste in music as far as my 15 year is concerned, but even he loves Imelda's style and this CD is no exception. Tribal is a fantastic opening track and sets the mood for a ear pleasing sound sensation, right through to the very last track, Right Amount of Wrong. I instantly fell in love with Little Pixie, but there isn't one track that I don't like. They are all very unique and it never ceases to amaze me how such a sound can cone from such a petite lady! I can't wait for the next one!
on 16 June 2014
A great feelgood album that makes commuting a joy....... apologies to anyone sharing the train with me as her brand of rockabilly permeates the carriage.... If I put it on speaker you would love it too!
on 2 May 2014
The Guardian reviewer used the words "fresh" and "ferocious" and it certainly is that! Her voice just rips through the songs, ably assisted by superb, driving guitar. This is real foot-tapping stuff. An excellent addition to her rockabilly discography.
on 21 May 2014
I've given this two stars because as usual from Imelda there are some really great songs on this CD.

Unfortunately though the sound quality is very much less so. Right from the off the first track has hiss, the second pops & clicks throughout and even "It's Good To Be Alive" has both of these distortions. In fact there is no track that does not have distortion of some kind.

In trying to confirm that it is indeed the CD and NOT any of my setups I have listened to it a few times - but the distortions are definitely on the CD and are so bad as to make it, for me at least, unlistenable - I returned it to amazon and they refunded.

Is this down to over compression or was the sound engineer asleep? I don't know and an email to the Label of course got no response. I wonder if amazon took this up on my, or indeed our behalf, with their supplier maybe asking them the question "Why has a customer returned this for poor sound quality?" - hopefully they did and it'll be fixed - but I doubt it.
Maybe if they get a few hundred more copies returned (have they already?) because of this issue they will start to think about doing something about it.

So, I probably will buy another copy in a year or so - see if it has been fixed - but I'll again send it back if it hasn't.

Please do comment on this review - I'd really love to read the thoughts of others on the sound quality.

UPDATE:
sirbopalot suggested that the issue may be a pressing one. In the hope that it is I followed his suggestion and ordered another copy from a different supplier - in the USA.
Anyway it arrived on 5th June and it is exactly the same - to loud - and as a consequence over-compressed, clipped, full of hiss, clicks and pops.
In short - a total disgrace! This copy is also going back.

I've reduced the stars to one (does not matter how good the songs are if you can't hear them - it is unlistenable) and I added "very" to the title.

I just can't understand how anyone can fail to hear these defects - so, please do comment on this review - I'd really love to read the thoughts of others on the sound quality.
review image
1313 comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 August 2014
Like a previous review - what on earth happened with the Sound Engineering with this release ??

Great Rockabilly songs by Imelda and band BUT the sound reproduced by the CD is so poor it ruins the overall listening experience - there is virtually no bass sound (played by Al Gare), especially on track 10 Round the Bend - WTF ? Is this a recording experiment that has gone very Pete Tong ? I first thought its another recording trying to replicate a vinyl sound with hiss and pop - but no bass - c'mon.

Hopefully Decca will re-release this in the future with bonus CD/DVD with live tracks/concert, so giving a chance to vastly improve the overall sound of the album, giving a much better experience to the listener.

Imelda and the great band have been let down by the sound of this release, a real shame as the songs are very, very good. Would give this album 5 stars for the songs but the sound is barely worth a star.
on 30 September 2014
I had to listen to this a couple of times before it sank in how good it actually is. ( My problem was that i had ordered quite a few albums all of completely different genres) Imelda May has a fantastic voice and catchy lyrics, hell fire club is a fave!!!!
on 15 September 2015
OMG I love this! I actually bought this for my father-in-law (thought it would be more ... calm!) and I'm debating whether to give it to him or just keep it for myself! Luckily, I have the auto-rip digital version anyway. Makes me want to dance around the living room ... with a quiff ...
on 17 April 2016
When i heard this new album by Imelda as an mp3 i enjoyed it enough to purchase it as a cd. Clearly it has been mixed for lossy mp3 . Unfortunately listening to it in full quality reveals that loudness wars have taken place and the result is a mix so unpleasant sounding i cannot listen to it.Her earlier albums are much nicer to listen to.
I hope that Imelda can find a sound mixer more sensitive to her kind of music when she puts out her next album.
on 28 May 2014
Imelda is the wife of Darrel Higham whom I have known for many years. Imelda used to make guest appearances with his band. Now she is a star in her own right and thoroughly deserves all the success she gets. This CD is as good as the previous two Universal releases.
on 11 June 2014
I am glad we saw Imelda May on Graham Norton a while back and we are looking forward to seeing her live again soon(without a large bump)

The album is another great one, though it has taken a bit more getting used to than Mayhem.

Lovely to hear 'Dreaming' on this version of the album - it was one of highlights when we saw her in Blackpool.