Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.52

on 29 April 2014
This book is lovely, lovely, lovely. Like a night in with the fire on, a furry blanket, a bottle of wine and a huge box of chocolates. There is no critiscism, it's well written, good story, great characters. The ending felt a little rushed but other than that.....perfection! Buy it, you won't regret it.
on 27 April 2014
"Love causes war and causes death, breaks souls and breaks lives. It runs people into the ground, makes them behave like moronic, immoral beasts, before it dances off, leaving only destruction in its wake - hearts blown wide open for the whole world to see."

It's no secret that I am a huge Karina Halle fan so I usually dive right into her books and speed read them because I'm desperate to see what happens in the end. This book was totally different. It took me a long time to read, but it's because It was so good, I wanted to soak up every single word. In short, I thought it was the best book Karina has written.

It has a different feel to what she has written before, no paranormal and no suspense, it's not an "action" book like the Artist Trilogy. It's all about the journey the main character makes and about love. This book does contain cheating but it's like nothing I've ever read. Usually the main character is the one being cheated on, or perhaps is the cheater, but in this book we see what it's like to be "the other woman".

Canadian Vera Miles has never felt she belonged anywhere and so wants to get away, experience something new and so she signs up for teaching conversational English to Spanish business men and women in Spain during her summer break. A piece of advice is given to her before she arrives at the resort - don't fall in love, and she doesn't intend to, that's not her style....

Until she meets Mateo Casalles that is. Totally gorgeous, confident and unfortunately married Mateo. Although Vera is attracted to him, she would never want to be involved in cheating - she's seen the results of that.

As Vera settles in she starts to understand what the advice meant as she sees other people on the program hooking up together. She builds friendships and starts to feel like she belongs. One of the close friendships she forms is with Mateo, she looks forward to her teaching sessions with him (well who wouldn't!!) and spends time with him during their free time. Although nothing physical has happened between them, people start assuming they are sleeping together because of their close friendship. This leads Vera to question whether what they are doing is really as innocent as she once thought.

"Sometimes I thought I was a terrible person"

Vera does struggle with her feelings towards Mateo and sometimes questions whether their friendship and actions are morally wrong. I think that is why this book has so much power. Everyone usually sees "the other woman" as just as much to blame, and they do need to take some responsibility, but it does makes you stop and think how she sometimes may feel and what she might be going through.

It isn't all about Mateo and Vera, it's also about Vera finding herself, finding friends and finding a place to belong. It's about a journey Vera is on, but all journeys must come to an end.

"There will be nights when you will feel alone and lost" he murmured in my hair. "Where I will feel alone and lost. When that happens, I want us both to remember this, right now. Bring our thoughts back to this room, this moment. Where we aren't lonely. Where we are both found."

So what happens after the program is over and everyone has to go back to their lives? When reality hits? When you realise there is a world outside the program? I loved that this book is spilt into three parts, which include part 1 which is in Spain and part 2 which follows Vera in the aftermath of the program.

"Don't you ever think that sometimes love isn't enough? That it can't over come everything?"

This book is definitely an emotional roller coaster ride. It has many ups and downs and there will be many of you that cry. Did I cry? Yes, but for me it's because I felt that Karina did such an amazing job at making you feel what the characters are going through, it did open old wounds.

The characters are well written and anyone who has been cheated on, been a cheater, been "the other woman", or has fallen in love or lost in love, will find a connection to one or more of the characters in this book and let's face it, that pretty much covers all of us!!

I will warn you, you will definitely fall in love with Mateo. You will love Vera. You may get frustrated at some of the decisions they make, you will feel pain and you will feel love, but those are the best books aren't they? If your looking for a story about perfect love this isn't it. But if you're looking for a book that has real life love, that often doesn't come at the right time, this book is for you. It's a definite must read in my opinion, but take your time, savour each word, each feeling.

"What is love in English"
I raised my brows. "Love, in English, is love"
"What is it in Spanish?"
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. "Amore"
He shook his head ever so slightly. "No. Love in Spanish is you"
on 1 July 2014
This book had such a unique story line it had me hooked, I have never read anything like this plot.

Vera is a wonderful character, she’s straightforward, free spirited girl, she’s a dreamer who loves the stars, she’s covered in tattoos and needs an adventure.
Now onto Mateo phew he’s a hottie with a seductive accent, he is strong and confidant with a sensitive side.

Vera and Mateo are poles apart so very different from each other but I think that is why they work together, the chemistry between them is intense.

The journey you follow these two characters on is full of internal struggle and tension, heartache brought on by there complicated circumstances.

The struggle that Mateo and Vera endure to find there own happiness is beautiful, topped off with the cultural Spanish lifestyle that will leave you with a smile and a blissful sigh.

This book has a forbidden romance with a realistic quality, it’s a slow burn romance that draws you in.
My hat goes off to Karina Halle for this beautifully creative work of art through her words.
on 27 April 2014
Really enjoyed this book and was totally emotionally involved with the characters you really felt along with them and I certainly shed a few tears for Vera & Matteo. Infidelity happens in this world and I don't think authors should shy away from the subject all the time, this is real life. 4 stars was certainly not enough for this book but maybe 4.1/2 as there were a few typos which should not have happened with the English/Spanish translation; and I did think the ending/epilogue was too rushed. I do hate it when a book ends like this almost like the author ran out of time or ideas, but it would have made it a 5+++ star book to just know a few things about how they were getting on, about the divorce , how Vera got on with his daughter, or what she did about school/work. If the ending was properly done I would have paid the quite expensive price for the paperback. However I did love the characters and story and would recommend this book any day well done.
on 3 May 2014
This is without a doubt the most emotionally gruelling story I have probably ever read. Mot because terrible things are happening to the characters, it is just all about love, guilt, morals, and how sometimes love is not convenient and ordered. I am a happily ever after girl and at some points I really doubted I would ever have the courage to get through this book, I became so invested in Mateo and Vera that I thought I couldn't bear it if they didn't make it. I actually stopped reading two chapters before the end trying to decide if I could cope with reading to the end if it didn't work out. I'm not going to spoil it and tell you if this amazing love story will fill or break your heart, but please please ride this roller coaster yourself (armed with tissues, tea and choccy biscuits) and then join with me in praising Katrina Halle!
on 18 July 2014
5 Beautiful Shining Stars!!

This book has been in my TBR pile for a while - "What on earth was I thinking?" "Why did I take so long to pick it up?" Answer - "I have no freaking idea but I should of done it sooner."

I had the pleasure of meeting Karina at a signing recently and she is such a lovely, beautiful person and the cover - OMG! I adore it, it's simply stunning.

And so onto my review:

This is the first book of Karina's that I have read but trust me when I say that I will be reading more - I absolutely loved and adored Love in English.

He’s thirty-eight. I’m twenty-three.

He speaks Spanish. I speak English.

He lives in Spain. I live in Canada.

He dresses in thousand-dollar suits. I’m covered in tattoos.

He’s married and has a five-year old daughter.

I’m single and can’t commit to anyone or anything.

Until now. Because when they say you can’t choose who you fall in love with, boy ain’t that the f**king truth.

So, that in a nutshell is the blurb but this book is so much more! The writing is amazing, so well thought out, the characters all so well developed - I felt like I actually knew them, they seemed real to me like I was on the side lines watching their journey.

I felt a whole bunch of emotions whilst reading this book....heartache, guilt, love, lust, despair but I sat there feeling each and every one, at one point I was a snotty mess with tears streaming down my face.

Vera is an extremely likeable character and incredibly believable. She's 23, single, carefree, has tattoos and piercings and is very happy with her sexuality, never settling down and falling in love has never been an option until she goes on a month long language programme in Spain and it's here that she meets Mateo, he's a 38 year old business man who happens to be married with a five year old daughter (Oh and he's extremely HOT)!! Their friendship grows, Vera makes Mateo feel young and alive and so the story begins.... I'm not going to say anymore as wouldn't want to spoil it for you but be prepared for a rollercoaster of emotions.

This book is spilt into three parts and it's quite a long book but I loved every single word.

Well done Karina - Love in English is right up there with my favourite reads of this year!! I look forward to reading more of her books.

Some of my favourite quotes:

“Design your own universe, make your own stars, write your own stories, and create your own destiny.”

“You burn so brightly,” he said, his voice low and rough to raise the hair on my arms. “I would like to burn with you.”

“Love, our love, had been a shooting star, burning in the darkness, unseen until it got too close, too bright and too quick to capture. It burned out, lost to the deep cold and darkness, to the brutality of space, the infinity above us and in the new emptiness inside of me.”

“You can’t fall in love in a week,” I told her heatedly. “You can fall in love in a second,” she said with a snap of her fingers. “The heart has no regard for time.”

“Any last minute advice?” She raised a brow. “Try not to fall in love with anyone.”
on 23 January 2015
Omg this is the first I've read of Karina Halle books!! I've had this on my tbr for a while now and after seeing it being pushed out there on Facebook by different authors and book blogs.... I bought it....but I've got to say I LOVED it ripped my heart to shreds...I've cried, I had a lump in my throat...then I'm sat with kindle trying to compose myself and just like that Mateo the gorgeous Spanish God himself repaired my heart!!!
This is a must read, it's angsty, heartbreaking, funny in parts it's just amazing and you'll love Vera...I did want to shake her in some parts but I can totally understand her thinking she was definitely a worthy heroine and Mateo...well he's Spanish..that is all....swoooooon!!! If you've been to spain then you have got to read this because you can totally imagine yourself there while you're reading it the way the scenery is described is just beautiful......
Just read this if you're a Romantic at heart you will love this. I'm going to one click Love in Spanish now....happy reading 💋💗
on 15 June 2014
Love in English is a beautiful story of finding love in unexpected places and in turn, learning more about yourself along the way. I am usually one for steering clear from books that contain affairs and cheating but decided to give this one a go after seeing the highly positive reviews. I went in with an open mind, not knowing what to expect from this book at all.

This book tells of the romance between Vera, a 23 year old tattooed astronomy student who travels to Spain to teach business men and women conversational English. Once there, she meets 38 year old Mateo. The chemistry is there between them instantly and she finds herself not only falling in love with Spain, but with Mateo himself. But there’s only one problem… he’s married.

Both do not want to give into temptation but the chemistry and tension between the two is constantly surrounding them, a palpable force. At first they start off as friends with Vera keeping her feelings and emotions for Mateo locked away, not wanting to fall for a married man. The more time spent together only cements these feelings for him, and once it is found that they are reciprocated does the hidden desire and heated looks amplify to breaking point. It takes this relationship and desire for both Vera and Mateo to realise they are unhappy in their lives, and something is missing. Is this person the missing link?

The story and time spent in Spain is an eye opener for Vera and when it is time to return home, she is truly devastated due to the people and everything she left behind. Is there a future for her and Mateo? What about his wife and daughter? Some aspect of the story during this time I found fell a little flat for me. I didn’t warm up to Vera and Mateo’s romance fully as even though Vera had expressed her guilt over and over, she was still participating in an affair with a married man, and how Mateo dealt with his wife at times made me feel bad for her instead of rooting for Mateo and Vera. I needed something extra to connect fully with this couple, a little extra spark or something to truly make me fall in love with them.

This story overall is very beautiful and even though I didn’t fully warm to Mateo and Vera, I did enjoy the book thoroughly and am glad I stepped from my comfort zone and read a book type I usually avoid. I can definitely see the appeal of this book for many people as there were parts of it that truly shone for me, but overall although I did love this book, I wasn’t blown away by it as most people were. I think I needed Mateo’s POV sometimes to see HIS feeling and HIS thoughts on what happened with his wife and what went on.
on 5 June 2014
Love, in English has been on my TBR list for a while and I have only just gotten around to reading it. Oh...my...goodness!! Why oh why have I only just read this book? I LOVED IT!!

I started and finished it within a day, there was no way I could put my Kindle down. The more I read the more it sucked me in. Love, in English is such a beautiful and well written story that I could happily read all over again. There were moments that totally tore my heart out, so much so it had me shaking. I experienced every emotion imaginable as if I was part of the story.

The characters are so easy to love and you can’t help but feel and sympathise with them. I connected with each and everyone, but obviously mostly with Vera and Mateo. From the very beginning I could feel the attraction pouring off them and the chemistry between them was addictive. I craved for the moments that they were together. The build up between Vera and Mateo was one of the best I had ever read, they didn’t just fall in love and jump into bed, there were consequences to their actions that had them questioning if what they felt was real. But when they did finally admit their feelings..oh boy.

He slowly turned around. “What is love? In English.”
I raised my brows. “Love, in English, is love?”
“What is it in Spanish?”
I was so enthralled by his hypnotic eyes, I could barely remember. “Amore?”
He shook his head ever so slightly. “No. Love in Spanish is you.”

This quote alone had me crying into my pillow (sniff)

Things between Vera and Mateo are not a bed of roses, there is a lot of heartache with some incredibly hot sex scenes thrown in. But they come from different countries, speak different languages and there is a fifteen year age gap. But their love story is unforgettable and truly one of the best love stories ever written.

I have no problem reading about cheating but obviously if you have read the synopsis, you will know that Mateo is married. Even though he is unhappy, he does have a wife and young child, so if you don’t like reading about such things, this book isn’t for you.

One of my favourites reads of all time, 5 well deserved stars. Highly recommended.
Oh wow, this book was amazing and another masterpiece by Karina Halle.

A standalone book with a HEA, isn't that what everyone secretly loves!!!

This tells the story of Vera, lost in her own life and looking for happiness. When she decides to travel to Spain for an English speaking course little did she know, or expect, that she would fall in love.

Enter the gorgeous Mateo, ex professional footballer and now a businessman looking to improve his conversational English, he signs up to the same course and his path crosses with Vera and he is immediately swept away by her beauty, tattoos and vibrancy.

Right from the start the two realise they are attracted to each other but Mateo is married with a child and Vera is unwilling to be the cause of a marriage breakup.

After weeks together though, Mateo and Vera struggle to fight their feelings for one another and their affair starts.

***“Love is like a thief, it robs you of all thought and logic, and all you have left is a heart that you can only pray is strong enough to survive the rest.”***

The story continues with Mateo and Vera facing ups and downs in their lives but will they ever find true happiness together or separately?

I loved this book so much. Despite the cheating aspect, it is a heartwarming story of love overcoming all.

Reviewed on behalf of Jezabell Girl & Friends...