Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£5.00

on 11 November 2015
Mmmmmm....... difficult to describe how this collection made me feel. Irritated is probably the best word. The stories were initially confusing but did get better the more I read - sometimes I had to read a passage a couple of times to actually get the nuances. Plots were interesting with good twists and I liked the way that Mark Dawson hinted at the back story rather than explained it in detail. The way real, historical, figures were let into the stories was a neat device but remember this is a story, not history - Jack Spot lived to be an old man. Does Edward's story continue in another book? I'd like to see what happens to him.

What really irritated me though was the sloppy attention to detail and poor proof reading. The use of language and phrases that just didn't exist in the 40's, the wrong spelling of whisky - Scotch whisky isn't spelt with an 'e', coppers brewing coffee and not drinking tea, American terms rather than the correct British ones, the wrong characters being referenced in the text - all minor details in their own way but boy, did they all start to grate towards the end. It just gave the impression of a sloppy production job.

Overall, the series was OK and I'll dive in to some more of his books to see how/if the writing has improved.
on 2 June 2017
enjoyable but not quite as good as Mark Dawsons previous books
on 30 March 2016
Although I like the story so far, the proof reading/editing of this book is awful. I am only two thirds of the way through the first of the trio and the amount of mistakes may well make me not read the rest. With regard to the general narrative, no care appears to have been taken to ensure it reads correctly, extra words, wrong words have been left in all over but the final straw was one character entering the building through the front door and leaving his case at the back door for a hasty exit only for him to have changed from one character to another once he'd done so, i.e Henry entered the building however it was Charlie that left. I read it again and again to make sure the mistake wasn't mine and it definitely wasn't.
on 20 December 2015
Fantastic characters - no mawkish sentiments just straight ahead amoral, psychopaths- police and mobsters alike. Some bad editing let it down though.
on 30 March 2016
There are so many spelling and grammar errors that it spoilt my enjoying the books. Very bad copy proofing. Also the author needs to acquaint himself with pre-decimal coinage. Tuppence from ten shillings is 9s10d.
on 31 May 2014
This took a while to get me into but was a pleasant surprise ! Have read other Dawson books and think these are a little better than the Soho series .
on 31 December 2015
I have become a big Mark Dawson fan over this Christmas, bought and read them all now. This is a great set of books. Be aware though - when you start reading them you will not be able to put them down.

Mark Dawson is a superb writer.
on 6 January 2016
I absolutely love this writer's work, but not, I'm sorry to say , this Soho noir series, not for me
on 21 March 2016
This is a terrific series of stories, written in the vernacular of the times. I particularly like the Cockney Rhyming slang. There are four separate stories, the characters from which spill over into the other stories. Well written, with good characters, good plot lines moments of great tension. Mark Dawson is a helluva writer.
on 5 June 2016
I read these books straight off on a flight to Canada then on holiday and finished them on the flight home. Mark Dawson is my new favourite author. I love his narrative style, suspensive stories and wonderful, believable characters. I shall be reading everything this man writes!