on 11 July 2014
Borderlands 2 on vita is quality , I read the bad reviews but thought I'd try it for myself - the game looks the dogs satchel , yes there is the odd graphical hiccup but certainly doesn't spoil the game overall. Not tried multiplayer yet but sure il get to it one day , for £20 u really can't go wrong ! 😜
on 16 June 2014
To be honest, if I were just judging this game in its own right, I would give it an easy 5. It's an epic first-person opus with massive free-roaming environments to explore, action/RPG elements, eye-poppingly superb graphics and an infectious sense of humour. It is literally a big-console game that has been ported to the hand-held small screen and still manages to retain that expansive, high budget vibe. Kudos points should be awarded for such an ambitious under-taking, and for the fact that the game was ported so successfully (on the whole)...But here's the rub: there are a few niggling annoyances (especially if you are well-versed with the big-console versions) that may affect your enjoyment of this modern gaming classic. First and foremost, frame-rate. Busy sections of the game tend to slow down and get really jerky, making combat slightly awkward on occasion. This happens fairly frequently but you almost don't notice it once you've got used to the handling. Next, the rear-touch sensitivity of the vita is somewhat lacking. This can be exasperating, especially since melee attacks and sprinting are all accessed from this input and very often result in missed taps and oh...death. Also, the in-game written dialogue is seriously tiny. Like, 'I need a magnifying glass right now' tiny. Obviously, no attempt had been made to make the interface more user-friendly for the small screen. But, when all is said and done, it IS unmistakably Borderlands 2 in the palm of your hand. It IS still eminently playable, immersive, a great gameplaying experience and worth every penny. Ultimately, I think we're lucky that such a prominent game title has come to the PS Vita. Just don't expect it to perform quite as smoothly as your Xbox/PS3 would...
on 16 June 2014
Update to my original review below:

So after my original review I played BL2 on the Vita for about 80 hours, I completed the Normal Game and then the TVHM, I transferred my cross save to the PS3 and did some raids online and so on but there was a glitch which resets all of your Badass Stats back to zero every time you cross save which meant that every time I transferred from Vita to PS3 or vice versa I would have to manually reassign over 100 choices every single time. This alone put me off playing the game anymore so I left it for about a year. Then I read that the Vita had a new patch in November 2015 which improved performance and fixed many issues that I tried it out and got sucked straight back into the game again while I was travelling away and started the hardest UVHM.

As much as I love Borderlands, the Vita version really tries hard to make you hate the game. It is the most broken game I've ever played and yet even with bugs which ruin the experience I've still put another 50 hours into it over the last month.

Here's what I've found is still wrong with the port;

- The game stutters, lags and slows down A LOT. It seems to be worse now with the new patch. There have been times where the game has slowed down to three frames a second because so many enemies, elemental weapons and grenades going off, etc.

- The game skips and stutters when you are aiming at or about to shoot an ememy, I think this is because it is trying to pre-load the audio or animation of the enemy getting shot but it affects your aim and you end up missing the enemy, or right as you press the fire button the game stutters and it doesn't register the shot. This is beyond annoying after a while.

- The game crashes much more frequently that I can put up with. The Vita locks up and has to be hard reset. Then when you continue your playthrough it has saved your XP, money, weapons and story progress but it puts you back at the very beginning of the level you were in and all of the enemies and bosses have reset so you have to fight them all the hell over again. This can cost hours at a time.

- The motion controls are broken. When you are practicing and aiming using motion controls on your own it is smooth and accurate, as soon as you aim onto an enemy the motion controls stop working or jump completely outside of the hit box for no reason. It's makes trying to use them useless.

- The menus are still as slow and unresponsive as ever. You usually have to press the "Next" button about 6 times before it registers the command and moves the menu. It's the same in the shop; if you are trying to fill up on ammo and rapidly pressing the Accept button sometimes it will work but usually it only registers every 5th click or so.

- All of the audio glitches I remember from before are still broken. When you rescue Roland for example it doesn't play any audio at all for about a minute. This has happened on every one of my play throughs and I don't know why this cannot be fixed. There are many more audio glitches throughout the game like this.

- The Vita version doesn't have all of the DLC that is available for the PS3 so any weapons you found on the PS3's DLC are not available on the VIta. You just get a message saying that there is some inventory that is unavaiable. I uderstand why you cannot fit all of the DLC onto a handheld but why not weapons?

So in summation, the Vita version is an adequate port if you are playing though the Normal version of the game. Once you get to UVHM playthrough the enemies are so complicated and numerous that the game just grinds to a halt and is so slow that you can barely control your character, and even if you could then it will probably crash and you will have to repeat everything you have just spent the last 4 hours doing again.

Note: my game just crashed after a very difficult 3 hour playthrough and put me back to where I started today at so I came on here to vent about it. >:(

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original Review from June 26th 2014

I had ploughed 40+ hours into Borderlands 1 but only about 6 hours into Borderlands 2, both on the PS3. I couldn't find the time to carry on playing at home. I travel and work away from home a lot so I was looking forward to the Vita version so I could finally finish the game I had started.

But then the terrible reviews starting to come out for this port saying it was broken and unplayable. It didn't deter me but I was very skeptical about how the game was going to be. I also found out that a day 1 patch was available possibly fixing a lot of the issues the reviewers complained about.

My fears were soon put to rest though as soon as I started playing the game as I found out that this port is as close to the PS3 version on a handheld as you can get. The framerate issues are not as bad as the reviews make out and do not affect the gameplay. The only place where it is really noticable is when you are in the city of Santuary because there are a lot of NPC (non-playable characters) walking around the set, but there is no action here so it is not really a problem, it only breaks the atmosphere a little bit.

As far as running, gunning and looting go, the Vita version is the same experience as the PS3 version. It had been about 6 months since I played it on PS3 so I started the game fresh instead of importing my PS3 saved game and I am now about 4 hours further than I had got on the PS3. Being able to play this game on a long haul flight and away from home is a wonderful thing and I would highly recommend ignoring the bad reviews and trying it out for yourself.

There are a few differences I have noticed compared to the PS3 version such as;

- You can now fine aim your weapon in zoom mode using the motion controls, in the same way used in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. This makes it much easier to get critical hits.
- The 4 missing buttons from a DS3 (L2, R2, L3, R3) are now Left and Right Front touch pad, and Left and Right Rear touch pad on the Vita, and you can map any command to any button on the Vita. The setup I use makes it just as easy to play on the Vita as it is on the PS3.
- Enemies bodies explode when you kill them instead of falling down and remaining on the ground.
- Loot disappears from boxes when you return to a previous area you left.

I would give the PS3 version of Borderlands 2 4 stars, but for the pure awesomeness of being able to play this anywhere I want to give the Vita version 5 stars.
on 16 July 2014
In my opinion, the best game on the vita so far,an essential purchase. Very close to the original very very few concessions for the port over to vita.
on 17 July 2014
I can't believe the size of this game. It will last you hours (rumoured to be 60-70) if you take on all the side quests!
The game plays great on the whole! When the action gets hectic there's some slowdown and the game has crashed on me about 10 times in around 30-40 of hours play already! But the checkpoints are nicely spread out so it didn't cause too much distress. I can really recommend this game. There's some great missions, there's lots of different locations and lots of different enemy types. This plays much better than borderlands 1 where the enemies were complete bullet sponges! The rpg elements have been brilliant implemented!
I would of given it 5 stars if I didn't have the game freezes!
One of the best titles on the ps vita though without doubt.
on 29 June 2014
Since I already had Borderlands 2 on PS3 (and I must say, Best, Game, Ever!) I decided to buy it for the Vita to play on the go. Firstly, the cross save feature is very quick and easy to do, however, you have to save the file back to the console and vice versa to update the data for the console you werent playing on. Secondly, the graphics are good quality, surprising actually for such a small console. But I have experienced the game shutting off quite a few times; but thanks to the autosave function, nothing is lost. Also, the additon of the two added characters and all the DLC's is very nice. All in all, a very good transfer from PS3 to PS Vita, that should not be doubted for it's faults, but praised for it's qualities.
on 11 June 2014
Like others I can't understand the bad reviews from the media, it's like they've reviewed a different game. I'm hours into the game now (level 19) and just haven't seen the number of problems reported by the press. I've seen no slow down in the menus and whilst the game has crashed on me, this has only happened 4 times in the numerous hours I've played. It's a pain but each time I've only lost a few minutes playtime. Really enjoying this on the Vita. The sound is great on the headphones, apart from the enemies machine guns that can sound a bit weak. There is sometimes lag but, as others have said, when it happens it doesn't make he game unplayable. This is now my number 1 for the Vita.
on 30 May 2014
I'm a very big fan of Borderlands 2, and have put many hours into it, and own all of its DLCs. I was excited to hear that it was coming to vita, but at the same time, knew it would have to be scaled down. Now that I own it, and have got to play it for myself, I can say that there are only two major things that take away from the experience.

The first, is that there are no actual bullets (apart from snipers and explosive weapons). The main thing that I didn't like about the first game was that no shots ever actually got fired. you pulled the trigger, numbers came up, and a guy's arm came off. That was it. In Borderlands 2, They fixed that, and I couldn't be happier with the way they did it. But they took that out of this version,and now its back to the old way of pulling the trigger, and not actually firing any damn shots. In my opinion, it makes it difficult to accurately shoot enemies, and really takes away from the Borderlands experience

And the second thing, is the change in the number of enemies. Because the vita would struggle with the normal number of enemies on screen at once, they had to reduce it. For example, if there was 12 enemies in one area in the console version, there would be only about 9 or 10 on the vita version. Doesn't seem like much at first, but over time, it builds up, and you eventually become under-leveled, and are forced to go back and 'grind' to an extent. This can be frustrating as grinding is moderately difficult due to the fact that the vita version's combat is somewhat clunky.

However, if you are a Borderlands 2 fan, and can look past these things, it is still Borderlands 2, and as close as we will ever get on a hand held console, and because of this, I would still recommend this, and would give it a 7.9/10.
on 2 July 2014
As the title would suggest Borderlands 2 is a very fun game and you should definitely try it if you have not already on PS3, Xbox 360 or PC. However the PS Vita version has a large array of problems that render the game almost unplayable.So to inform potential buyers i have created a list of all the issues which i feel hinder the enjoyment of the experience.

1) Low average frame rate of approximately 10-15 Frames Per Second.

2) The HUD is a too small to be easily read by the player and may cause the player to have to squint at the screen often during game play.

3) This game is available on other systems for a lot cheaper e.g. the PS3 & Xbox 360 version costs approximately £9.99 whereas the PC counterpart can regularly go on sale for as little as £3.49

Overall in consideration of these points above i would not recommend this title to any potential buyers as you would get a much better experience on other systems and if you are looking for a first person shooter on the go my recommendation would be to purchase Killzone Mercenary instead.
33 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 June 2014
I've played through the game already on my PC, including almost all the DLC but I decided to pick this up anyway as it would give me a chance to run through it again with a different character while on my commute to and from work. I was a little disappointed when I read some negative reviews, however, when I finally played the game I was surprised how good it was. It's the full game, miniaturised - yes the framerate is quite low (I am happy to make an allowance for this - it still looks great) and arguably there are slightly fewer enemies around, but it looks and plays the same. Some reviews have highlighted the controls as an issue - honestly, they're not. The rear touchpad is used for melee on the right side and run toggle on the left, you soon get used to using these. The front screen is used for your special ability (left side) and throwing grenades (right side) - I would recommend switching this one with the circle button (crouch) as it's easy to touch the screen by accident and blow yourself up. Crouch makes much more sense here since it isn't used very often and has no serious consequences if you hit it accidently. The game is much more playable for me if I use a grip on the Vita - I would strongly recommend one (that goes for any FPS on the Vita, or any game where you need to use both sticks simultaneously), it will really help with the control system.

This is a killer game for the Vita and the kind of game I've been wanting to play since I bought it; a shrunk down full-featured version of a home console game, and as if that wasn't enough, it's also a brilliant price and comes with most of the DLC (including Ultimate Vault Hunter Pack 1 and a couple of the mission packs). Hopefully this will sell well and prompt developers like Bethesda to bring Elder Scrolls/ Fallout to the Vita.

Buy it!