on 16 April 2014
Using nothing but the material in this book, it is possible to pass exam 70-486 (I have done so today).

There was really only a single problem I had with the book: there are relatively few code examples, but the information contained in the examples is extremely important. You'll want to take note of the syntax used in all of the example code and make sure you understand it completely (and, similarly, that you'd be able to identify if something did not adhere to this syntax).

The book is split into precisely the objectives that appear on the exam, and the example questions it gives in its objective reviews are extremely similar in tone and content ot the question on the exam.

in short, this book isn't a holistic overview of ASP.NET MVC 4 nor does it pretend to be - it's a fairly unforgiving but ultimately complete guide to the exam. Don't scan through it, study it closely and it'll give you everything you need to pass.
on 11 September 2015
I hate this book. It should provide fast and snappy facts with working examples but instead it drones on without saying very much. (There's a reason you can condense each chapter into a few pages of notes).

I can't blame the author for all the bad that is in this book as the fault lies with Microsoft. The techniques outlined in this book are so out-of-date that they are just plain wrong. We rarely do browser sniffing these days, we do feature detection instead; even then we don't write our own we use Modernizr. We rarely target specific devices any more, we build responsive webpages and yet we told we need to know how to create device specific views. And it continues like this throughout the book.

Oh and don't get me started on the test questions in this book, which are so open to interpretation that it's unlikely you select the correct answers even when you really do know your stuff.

In summary, this book teaches you to pass an exam that is of little practical use and does so in a way that is incomplete and dull. I can't recommend the exam or this book.
on 14 May 2015
Having gained MCSE SharePoint, I'm trying to gain MCSD SharePoint. 70-486 is one of the four exams required to get MCSD certified. As this is the official Microsoft book for the exam, I initially started to read this book but found it quite difficult to read. I put this down to being a MVC newbie. Instead I started to read Adam Freeman's Pro ASP.NET MVC 5. I was well impressed with Adam's book as it teaches you MVC by creating a sample application. After completing this book, I switched back to William's book. It still is a difficult read.

As an example, I've just read a section on "Design and implement the Azure role life cycle". It describes the various startup tasks of a Azure server - Startup Tasks / OnStart / Run / OnEnd. The review questions ask you to pick one of these tasks for the scenario described. Unfortunately, the answer is "OnError" which is described later in the book. Issues like this don't give you confidence in the book.

Still, the book closely follows the "Skills Measured" from the Microsoft site. I'm going to use this book for study, but it needs another book with more practical examples of MVC code.
on 13 January 2014
My company bought this book to assist me in completing the Microsoft 70-486 exam. I had already completed the Pluralsight online tutorials for MVC so this book was really to get me prepared for the exam as although the exam states it is MVC, in reality only 50% is on MVC. The rest is on configuration, Azure, etc.
There is not a lot of code in this book, so you need to do quite a bit of supplementary research on how to do a few things. I found the questions at the end of each section really helpful as it challenged what you learned and how to apply it in the real world. This proved invaluable for questions in the test.
I scored quite highly in the exam and I think it is related to going through this book constantly until you can answer all the summary questions with confidence and playing around with MVC. I will be getting the next book in the series to help with the next exam!

Good luck to all you test takers!
on 16 May 2014
I prepared for the exam with this book, and I can only recommend it! It contained almost everything for the questions.
this book is useless for the exam, I studied it for months and was surprise of how different the questions actually are in the real exam, I hate the idea of don't have a reliable source to study for this exam, but the only way is look for information everywhere you can, practise and hope for the best but the questions are not based on this book, you can be sure of that
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 October 2014
Different approach than I first thought but it is definitely worth reading. It is not enough for the exam though.
on 18 February 2015
Great book, very well written and useful even if you're not doing the exam.
on 10 April 2015
It is a great book and thanks amazon for fast service.
on 27 November 2015
Nothing like the exam... Had to rely on mock exams.