on 24 July 2007
This book is simply a cut and paste exercise from introductory chapters of five other Office Step-By-Step books. It takes four chapters from the respective Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint books, together with five chapters from Outlook and binds them together with zero additional content.

If you only want a brief introduction to these applications, and have no interest in ever getting any of the five individual books then this is a cost-effective place to start.

I was hoping for original content more in tune with the inter-application capabilities of the Office System itself. You won't find anything new here that isn't published elsewhere. As such, it's a wasted opportunity.
on 29 March 2017
Received a defective product, and matter had to be escalated to Amazon before resolution.
on 26 September 2009
Faced with finding my first new job in 12 years, I bought this to be able to pass employer interview tests. All secretarial & admin jobs seem to need Excel nowadays, and you don't have time in a test to fiddle around to get the results you desperately need.

The CD is easy to install and the the format is great, an overview for each chapter to tell you what you will learn, a more detailed explanation of the functions of what you are about to do, and then the actual exercise itself to practise. It does however, forgets a time or two to state the obvious (switch window or something simple) which might be a problem if you are an absolute beginner. It was extremely useful as I found out short cuts and the proper way to use Excel (I have being doing things the difficult way for years).

It is a good refresher, but I think I would need something with a bit more depth around formulae writing - this area is a bit thin and I will be buying a book on formula.
on 19 April 2008
This book supposes that you're familiar with excel or have used it before. I have used excel, and wanted this book so i could refresh my knowledge. I wanted a book that assumed i was a complete novice, but this is not that type of book. It's also not that easy to follow.

Would recommend only if you have basic excel only.
on 8 November 2009
I solved the problem I mentioned below. I noticed others had it as well so here it is how I did it. I turned off internet for a few minutes, opened Internet Explorer, Tools, Internet Options, security, lowered settings to medium and unticked 'enable protective mode'. Then I was able to install exercises, increased security settings in IE back to medium high which I had previously (including protective mode) and could turn internet back on.

I wish I had checked reviews on American Amazon before buying this. They are less favourable there and I can see why. The problem is that I mostly bought this book to use exercises from the enclosed CD. But when I try to instal it I get a message about script errors.
on 13 September 2010
This manual comes with a CD containing example files for each chapter. There is a searchable ebook version of the manual on the CD.
It is a Microsoft publication and consists of two sections a comprehensive quick reference section and a more substantial instructional section.
The instructional section of the book is written in a clear and concise style, divided into chapters for the major processes of Excel. Each chapter has a clear section describing the processes and their applications followed by a practical section with a step by step description of how to use each of the particular processes - illustrated by using one of the data files on the CD.
I am still working through the book but I reckon that it is a really first class introduction to Excel.
on 5 August 2010
The book does exactly what it says and goes through basic and some slightly more advanced uses of spreadsheets for business and statistical analysis. Highly recommend for A level students.
on 17 May 2016
What a pity it arrived without the advertised CD. No response from the seller either as yet, such a disappointment as I bought this because of the CD with it. The book is OK but I found it to have quite a lot of text and not enough examples. Unless you have good knowledge of Office to start off with it might put some people off.
on 25 August 2013
I gave this 3 stars because initially the book arrived without the cd needed to do the exercises. However, the company when contacted was very helpful in sorting the problem out.

The book itself was easy to follow and I found it very useful. It's definitely helped to improve my excel skills needed for work.
on 28 June 2013
This books comes with CD with some practical examples and tests. We were satisfied. Man can learn some new steps tips and tricks. I recommend it to people who work with MS Excel. My friend was very happy about this book and she learnt well. I personally use OpenOffice and LibreOffice.