Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£9.49

on 27 March 1998
Pat Ivey, a volunteer EMT in a rural area, takes us on an ambulance ride through several years of her career, showing us the humor, pathos and humanity of the patients she and her squad treat. Pat shows us some of the pressures of being a volunteer, and gives us a glimpse into how this affects her family life. Pat goes to a big-city ambulance crew as a "tick" or ride-along, and is accused by one of the EMTs there of being "a handholder," but it is Pat and her crew's warmth and caring toward their patients that stands out most clearly in this book. Pre-hospital treatment can begin with soothing and reassurance. A book that kept me turning pages, and even shedding a tear now and then. Well worth the read.
on 23 March 1999
Reading Pat's book was like reading a story about not only myself, but many of the people I've met through my involvement in rural EMS. How many people can say that they volunteer because EMS is in their heart? When I first started I was so unsure of why I got involved, only I knew there was an empty place in my heart that needed to be filled, and now I can't imagine what life would be like without it! It's such a wonderful feeling to be there for a "save", or to see someone on the street and have them thank you for being there when they needed you desperately, and knowing you were there because it's where your heart has led you.
on 2 October 1998
I read Pat Ivey's book back when I first joined a volunteer EMS unit in 1993. Growing up in a big city, I was curious to find out more about a suburban volunteer "squad" and what I was getting in to. I loved the book. Sinc then, I give v the book to many of the EMTs I've precepted. I don't give it to them to describe the action or excitement. I give them book to show the compassion, caring and respect for human life and dignity that is a fundemental part of pre-hospital medicine. Pat Ivey captures that spirit of love and caring concern that I've found in EMS extremely well in this book.
on 18 March 1999
I enjoyed reading every page of this book, it paints the picture of what EMS is about outside of the big city. After years of service in EMS in a rural area I can relate with the stories told in this book. Rich says this book is boring and doesn't have enough stories, but I disagree, I think it is pretty similar to my experiences in EMS. This book is not about the thrills, it is about the human stories, and that is what EMS is about.
on 28 May 1998
This book was horrible. As a paramedic, I know ALL EMT's have a few stories to tell. Pat Ivey has a few stories to tell but hers are all boring and exaggerated to make her and her rescue squad look good. This book was slow reading and not at all exciting. Ms. Ivey is just trying to cash in on the publics fascination with EMS.
on 8 July 1999
I read this book. I am a male EMT and I thougt that this book gave great insite to what it would be like to work as a female EMT. I appreciate my EMT co-workers even more. Thanks Pat Ivey.