on 23 April 2017
Very good recording
This is an "original" version and attempts to recreate how it might have been played and might have been heard at the first performance. I suspect it might be a "marmite" CD but I love it. It is very clean and clear and the recording is simply stunning (I have a SACD player). The soloists are not star names but they are true and honest voices and in this recording they are easy to appreciate.

In my opinion this version reveals the true genius of the composer much more than any other I have heard.
Ahh... This is good. I felt I should be buying this for two reasons. Their recording of Bach's St Johns Passion was so good, and also because this is one of my favourite pieces of music. I was hoping that the Dunedin Consort would impress with this, and they haven't disappointed. Although there are so many recordings of Mozarts Requiem about this is certainly a worthy addition and one of the best ones about. And it must be noted that this is the first recording / premiere of the 2013 Sussmayr's completion of Mozart's Requiem by David Black (a Mozart scholar).

The musicality of all the musicians on this recording is amazing. There isn't a single soloist or member of the orchestra who sticks out as being the best or the most musically emotional - they all blend together beautifully to create a recording that feels like it is a group of world class musicians who merge and play together with ease. Their approach to the requiem sounds completely correct in terms of understanding of the music and technique, but it doesn't sound clinical or academic in any way. It's a recording that has really moved me and is now my favourite recording of Mozart's Requiem.

Recommended.
on 16 April 2015
I find special qualities in this performance, which is genuinely moving. Compared with the Marriner recording it is sometimes quicker and recorded closer up to make a big impact for the size of the forces used. This makes it exciting where the Marriner is perhaps a more 'normal' choral sound. I should have preferred something between the two. Nevertheless, where Gardiner is fast but rigid, this performance has more heart than any I have heard and I do wholeheartedly recommend it. Whatever recording you have I think you need this one.
on 8 July 2014
I really enjoyed this Requiem and was dismayed at the vitriolic criticism posted by one reviewer. Yes, it is different to the earlier recordings of which I have several, but I would agree entirely with the crit posted in Gramophone. A superb interpretation which ranks with the finest.
on 9 December 2014
Excellent version of the requiem. In SACD you can hear every nuance. Its like being there.

Buy and enjoy.
on 30 November 2015
Utterly beautiful. Simple, not overblown and no superstar posturing. It's good to fall in love with it again.
on 5 June 2014
This is about the best recording/performance to date capturing all the orignal qualites of this work for which Mozart would be proud!
Alan