on 7 October 2014
I did enjoy this book! I may be biased: I love this period of history and enjoy reading fictional accounts about the era that explore thoughts and feelings and add flesh to the bones of characters I've come across in history books. This book did this for me and I really wanted to give it more stars.
I wouldn't question the author's wisdom in choosing the subject for this his second book. It is only surprising with all the recent crop of fiction on this era that one of the most important and colourful characters in any period of English history could have fallen below the radar of other more established authors currently 'turning medieval'. And it wasn't the typo errors, layout problems... the usual things that plague self-published books. I can live with that in small doses as here: fiction writers are employing the creative process after all, not the technical; and proofreaders and editors are restrictively expensive for most. I would rather have these books out with them than not at all, and it didn't spoil my enjoyment of this one.
But as I read on, I found I was making up for shortcomings in the plot with my own knowledge of the period. Far too many essential episodes in the history are missing here. The War of the Roses is a mind-boggling maze of political twists and turns and yes, it would be a challenge to write the missing episodes, even more so to sprinkle them about the text without the whole thing turning into an epic. But I found the central characters well-developed and with enough depth and potential to carry this off and if added the episodes would give substance and reason for the characters' actions and better engage the less-informed reader. It is a challenge that any author writing about the War of the Roses simply MUST face.
I like Tony Ritches' book, and his Warwick. I hope he will beat others to it by going back to it, fleshing it out to twice its length, and giving the book and his characters the full credit they deserve. But in its present form I couldn't rate it any more highly, and to paraphrase Shakespeare's Richard III, I found it 'unfinished, sent before its time into the world... scarce half made up!'
on 4 December 2015
I have read so much about the Great Kingmaker in other historical characters stories, but never just about him. I found this book interesting and easy to read. It retell his life from his birth to his tragic death. He came from what seemed to be a happy family, beloved parents and siblings. It all seemed to come apart when the jealousy of the council of Henry VI and Margaret of Anjou became greedy and wanted all the power and refused to share any of it with the powerful York family. The friendships and love between the family were pulled apart. Then Edward IV made his own decisions about marriage and ruling the country to Warwick's detriment. Elizabeth Woodville married her huge family into all the aristocracy and never forgave Warwick for her father's and brother's death and was bent on revenge. Edward seemed quite happy to hand over all responsibilities to Elizabeth which annoyed and upset his family including Warwick. He seemed to just enjoy 'wine, women and song', once he was crowned King. He could have been a good king who reunited all the factions of his extended family, instead he opted out and died at a young age. Warwick obviously felt that he should have had some say in the running of the country whereas Elizabeth thought otherwise. A sad story that persisted into the next generation as well. Well done Mr. Riches for another good read.
on 15 September 2017
A race through the life of an important historical figure. Not much character development. Read more like an essay following key dates in the life of Warwick. Neither an historical record nor a novel.
on 7 September 2017
I can definitely recommend this book, Factual not fictual and somehow provides a moving, sad ending.
on 28 September 2017
Good read.
on 23 May 2016
enjoyed the book. another point of view of the course of events in the late 15th century.
on 26 March 2017
NOT READ YET BUT RECEIVED AS I EXPECTED
on 12 April 2017
it basicly sticks to thereal events of his life not like alotof thewars of the roses books i have read
on 9 April 2017
Well received as a gift! A trip to Warwick Castle was planned so very apt!
on 20 July 2017