on 26 May 2014
After looking forward to this title, after enjoying the other the books on the MkI to V, I have to admit I'm very disappointed indeed. You'd think a book entitled "Medium Mk A Whippet" would be all about said tank, however almost half the book, page 30 to 47, is taken up with medium B,C,D and Studebaker tanks, interesting as they are, they are not (in mind at least) Whippets. Another infuriating feature, common to many Osprey titles, is the excellent cut away drawing, spoilt by spreading it across two pages, with the crease running right through the middle. What is even more infuriating is that they have produced an excellent cut away picture of a Whippet in their title "Armoured Units Of The Russian Civil War - Red Army" and printed this on a single page with the key on the adjacent page. It's not all bad though, as there are some excellent period pictures and colour plates and you get a good description of how difficult it was to drive having a gear stick for each engine!! As far as I'm aware, this is the only title covering this subject, even so, my advice would be to wait until it comes down in price before adding it to your collection.
2 people found this helpful
on 16 May 2017
Usual Osprey format ....... shame they put the big pictures across the spine ..... a complete waste of the artists time - you can only see the detail at the start and the end of the picture the middle is impossible to see !
on 4 March 2016
A good concise history of the Mk A. I agree with some other reviews regarding the inclusion of other later marks, not exactly what I paid for, but interesting none the less. Kindle version viewed on PC based Kindle app gave good access to the diagrams and photographs, which overcame some of the negative comments about the printed edition and the interference of the books spine in the diagrams
on 25 September 2017
Great book with loads of information and photos. Well worth buying if interested in WW1 tanks.
on 18 May 2017
This book is for my library,at first glance it looks very good.Am very pleased.
on 9 April 2017
Was for my husband he was pleased
on 4 January 2016
Covers not just the Whippet but some later British types. As ever with Osprey, great value
on 3 December 2015
Very well written book on the WW1 whippet tanks
on 5 July 2014
Excellent - the book I've been waiting for and, unlike another reviewer, I'm not disappointed. If you've read David's previous books, you'll know what to expect so purchase without fear. Fascinating subject and some photographs I've not seen before. Shame it's not ten times longer but I'm grateful for what we've got.

(Paperback, not Kindle)