on 29 June 2014
I read the Tuppenny Hat Detective which I really enjoyed, then saw the the sequel and read some of the negative reviews. Whilst these are a useful guide I thought best make my own decision and ploughed into the next adventure of the trio. You cannot be disappointed from reading a harmless, good book with three youngsters solving murder cases. Though set in a period before my time (just) how refreshing to be reminded that you could just get on your bike and cycle off without the modern day issues around. Where parents would scold you for being late but we're never really worried about your safety. Where respect for your local policeman was high and politeness to adults was expected.
The storey was sound, the ending somewhat unexpected but the end did leave a few details unresolved. Read it and you should not be disappointed.
on 16 August 2014
Great book, for all ages, not 'namby-pamby,' you feel that the kids are in real danger, not all authority figures are 'upright and honest' Plots are good a characters very well defined, and you get a real feel of the time. I remember the excitement of Journey into space, and getting my leg slapped by a copper for jumping hedges. Did not, skip read at all, cant stand 2, pages of how nice the flowers were and the wall had 200 bricks in it, I like to get on with the plot. Yes thoroughly enjoyed. Have read both books in this series. Will read more, if any, do hope so, think he has got a hero that will get kids reading. Anything that can do that, is very important
on 7 April 2016
Once you get used to the dialect then this is a very good, easy read.
Young Billy Perks & his friends, Kick & Yvonne, investigate once again in this gentle murder mystery set in the 1950's. This is the second in the series & having previously read & enjoyed the first one, I had no hesitation in getting this & was not disappointed.
I've only given it 4* because I thought the end was a bit rushed otherwise I'd highly recommend this if you want a good yarn that doesn't require a lot of effort to read.
on 3 March 2016
This is the second "penny hapenny" book for me and just as good as the first. Billy is a right good kid along with Kicks and Yvonne is fellow crime sleuths. He's an engaging boy though I doubt his mother would think so very often. Set in Sheffield after the 2nd world war the enterprising Billy pits his wits uncovering crime simply out of his curiosity and desire to right wrongs, getting his wires crossed at times but wins through on his wits. Having said that he has got a vivid imagination and fortunately has his two friends to rein him in at times. The written Yorkshire dialect might put some off but helps create the atmosphere. Can't wait for the next book.
on 23 June 2014
If you were a child during the 1950's then you will recognise so much in this book even if you weren't born in Sheffield! A lovely innocent time to have been a child and this book reflects that perfectly. It made me laugh out loud several times! I have read the other book in this series (bought it straight away) and look forward to more.
on 13 May 2014
I loved Tuppenny hat detective so much that I didn't think it could be bettered but Dance floor drowning is just as good and just as funny. All todays children should read these books to get an insight into their parents or grandparents childhood. How free they were to go off for the day but if you dare to disrespect your parents you got a cucumber around your head, todays kids would be calling childline haha In the days that the books are set, children did interact with adults, good and bad, in a way that they don't today. If you can get your head round the Yorkshire dialect (being a Yorkshire lass it was easy for me) it is well worth the effort. I laughed and cried along with the very real characters and was so disappointed when the book ended. Just waiting for Billy Perks book no3 now, however much it costs.
on 1 December 2014
Every bit as good as the first Billy Perks novel Tuppenny Hat Detective. There is something very comforting about the nostalgia – it is the literary equivalent of a big fluffy dressing gown and a mug of cocoa on a cold evening. Full review at: http://stevek1889.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/sheffield-novels.html
on 17 September 2014
Another book not to be missed by all Sheffield expats. I'm about seven years younger than Brian and came from the other side of town (Billy's side, that is) but this is so real. Half novel half history, it's difficult to see the seam between fact and fiction it's so well done.
Even the mix of Sheffield dialect and standard English rings true. Theeing and thouing at home was just not on. The Henderson's Relish factory just round the corner from the university engineering department, don't know about any gym though, not really my thing.
Tommy Ward's elephant - Wow! A long time since I heard that phrase.
Some of the words in the glossary I'd not met, but Sheffield dialect is far from homogenous.
I could go on and on, this book's like a picture book of memories with a nice warm detective story thrown in.
on 22 September 2014
I didn't realise this was for young adult readers but once I started it - I found it a really charming book - as a born and bred Sheffield lass, it was funny to read the dialect and although I am far too young to remember the times written about - and I don't have such a strong accent - my dad dd and I could just hear him saying the words in his strong Sheffield voice - I thought it was a good read
on 29 May 2014
Having thoroughly enjoyed the first book I looked forwards to this one and wasn't disappointed. Billy Perks and his friends involved again in a murder mystery story and brilliantly written too. With lots of chuckle moments and guessing the whys and wherefores to the end, this book is very entertaining. I love the Sheffield local dialect and find it enhances the story and provides great atmosphere to the narrative. As Billy's theories come and go, you feel the elation and deflation with him as he goes back to his MOM board and tries again. Excellent book and I hope that there will be another one out soon !!