on 15 April 2017
Easy-to-understand. Principles of geometric construction are explained, while leaving plenty of room for the readers own experimentations. A fabulous book and a great primer on a thought-provoking subject. Highly recommended.
on 17 August 2017
A good clear appraisal of number. Unfortunately,for me it doesn't extend the information available from other writers such as Robert Lawlor or even Dion Fortune.
on 30 July 2017
Insightful and very interesting. I agree mathematics needs to be learned this way
on 28 November 1998
It was very difficult to put this book down. Not only does Schneider evince a love and profound knowledge of his material, but he communicates his passion to the reader with a clarity uncharacteristic of many math exposeurs. It is a perfect teaching vehicle for parents and their children to foster a heartfelt respect for the mathematical majesty of nature, using examples from cultural history across the globe. His discussion of music and symbolic geometry is especially enlightening. This book should be required reading for any and all educators. A wonderful read!
on 11 August 1999
I have always been mesmerized by mathematics and its infinte implications; one could call it impassioned. Many people do not share my zeal. Some of these people are my family, friends, and associates. FINALLY I have a book to recommend that can open each and every one of them to unsuspected dimensions of this absolutely fascinating subject; the presentation alone will, I am sure, compel them to read on and on and on. I am awed at the scientific authenticity and gentleness with which Schneider creates such a sensible, spiritual, and harmonious synthesis. Utterly awed...and so very grateful. I'd love to see an index in the next edition.
It was difficult to put the book down long enough to type these comments!
on 14 September 2000
Once every few years you come across a book which is genuinely life-changing, and this is one of them. In its simplest form it's a book which makes numbers interesting - completely different from the usual dull stuff you did at school. But it goes way beyond that, to open up a whole world of cosmic geometry which you'd never noticed before. It explains the principles of number and sacred geometry with extraordinary clarity and applies them to architecture, religion, ancient art, modern design, science, the natural world, etc, on the basis that all forms of construction and creation work on those same principles. It covers everything, from the reason why manhole covers are round to the divine emanations of the Qabalah, and links the physical with the spiritual in ways you would never have thought of. The book has a wide format and very clear layout, with lots of illustrations, and assumes no previous knowledge of - or interest in - the subject.
I notice in Mr Schneider's comments that it took him 20 years to research the book. Well, it certainly shows, and I can assure him it was very well worth it. This is truly a revelation, an amazing book which will completely change the way you look at the world.
on 10 December 1995
I'm quite biased because I'm the author. Just thought I'd mention that it took over 20 years of research and 2 years to write & illustrate (500 illus!), plus hundreds of relevant quotations in the side margins.
The numbers 1-10 (&12) are the key to the code of nature's designs, and are the basis of an ancient symbolic language used to design the arts, crafts & architecture worldwide.
Each of 10 chapters looks at that number & its related shapes, as they appear in nature's beautiful forms, in art, in symbolism, and as archetypes of our own spiritual nature.
Shapes are the characters of the alphabet in which the Book of Nature is written, and this is a "math" book with no math (the kind of cold "math" we were shown in school, anyway). Some people call it "sacred geometry".
This book will save you years of research, and show you how to appreciate the shapes of nature as a symbolic language familiar to our deepest self. Every shape has a "meaning" and this book shows you what they are. Reviews (Parabola Journal Winter 95, New Age Journal 8/95, etc, all remark how "accessible" it is.
I hope you enjoy it. If you read it, write me, if you like.
Happy Trails!
Michael S. Schneider
NYC
77 Comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 July 2005
I cannot rate this book too highly. When I ordered it, I presumed from the cover artwork (and the title) that it would be a kind of "Sacred Geometry for Dummies". I was, in fact, looking for a relatively easy primer to help me grasp the basic principles of this hugely deep and densely arcane subject, but what I did not anticipate was that it would be both exceptionally accessible as well as intellectually satisfying. Our culture has no innate understanding of "the mathematical archetypes of nature, art, and science" (the sub-title) and in fact, our culture, being so hamstrung, so crippled by left-brain dogma, does not even consider that nature, art and science could have any possible common denominator to even discuss! That the author could express ideas that are really so beyond our normal Western rationale, and moreover, does so with such intelligence and yet with such a light touch, is quite an extraordinary feat. The text is profusely illustrated with diagrams and drawings that precisely explain all that is required, and is also littered with hundreds (this I really appreciated) of superbly chosen quotations from all the great minds of history, from all cultures. I do not believe that there exists a better introduction to this deep and wonderful wisdom, and I would gladly give it 9 stars.
Even after an hour browsing through it, I felt that I had absorbed levels of knowledge, of perception, that were not there previously. This book is about a level of mathematics that, shamefully, is not taught in our educational system. So much for our so-called "progressive' modern culture, that the real pearls have been disregarded in favour of something that has had all knowledge, life and magic stripped away. All spiritual qualities, in fact. What does mathematics and geometry mean to anybody today, other than for the most common-place pedestrian purposes? I did not know, prior to this book, that the Greek "mathema" signifies "learning in general" and was the root of the Old English "mathein", "to be aware" and the Old German "munthen", meaning "to awaken". Today the word "maths" has, for most people, constricted its scope to emphasise mundane measurement and mere manipulation of quantities.
The only, and I mean only, quibble I have with the book, is that it is printed on paper of a quality that does not do justice to the content. This is a shame, but perhaps it's only applicable to the HarperCollins paperback publication that I bought. According to an inner page giving the ISBN details, there was a hard cover version published in 1994, also HarperCollins, and I would assume that that would be printed on better stock. But don't let this put you off. If you have any interest whatsoever in numbers, mathematics, higher knowledge, or any curiosity whatsoever about why the world is designed the way it is, buy this book. It contains the entire universe!
on 6 January 2013
This book is a treasure, the information is deep, extensive and very high caliber. The only negative aspect to the book is the paperback edition is printed on newsprint, very disappointing by the low quality of the paper it is printed on, but the content is such high quality that I am keeping this book as it is just full of amazing information.
on 30 August 2002
The title is grandiose, the book's layout makes you travel sick when you read it, Michael's brain is clearly on over drive. I loved every line, enjoyed every quote, was intrigued by all the images. It helped me unify many thoughts I had in this field. He has presented sacred geometry in a non-pretentious and easy-to-understand way. He will stimulate you to look further in the subject and you will surely start to see the world in a different way. Why can I not find any other books by this man?