Customer reviews

Kingdoms of the Dead: Chemical Rot
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.29

on 6 April 2014
Well here it is the latest release from Ian Woodhead, Kingdoms of the Dead, and like a lot his previous books it's a zombie related story, but with a twist. The main characters are Kenny, his sister Diane, Joseph, Rossini, Tony and the twins Mortimer and Daniel, however due to the use of parallel words it does seem like a lot more.

We start off meeting Kenny who lives on a world full of zombies where the populace need daily doses of medication to stave off the virus that will eventually turn them into a zombie.
Kenny's world is turned upside down after an encounter with Rossini and the discovery of the afore mentioned parallel worlds.

The story as a whole flowed along quite nicely once you were introduced to the various characters and how they fitted into things, however there were some parts which got slightly confusing when the characters were crossing over between worlds and meeting their counterparts, but this actually works in the books favour because it means you need to concentrate on what you’re reading and not just flick through the pages, it makes you think about what's happening and the direction it’s leading the story.

Would I recommend it? Yes I would because it's not just a pure horror story and it doesn’t overdo the gore factor, but there's also an element of sci-fi in there as well to keep most people happy as well.
on 22 March 2014
I highly recommend this to all horror and sci-fi fans its anew twist on the zombie genre which keeps you engrossed I really like the writing style, the book is a real page turner can't wait for book 2 :-)
on 17 June 2014
Another post apocalyptic book that I really enjoyed reading. Another author that I was unfamiliar with but whose work I shall be checking out in the future.
on 8 June 2014
this was much the same as Olympus rises and yes again I did not find the story very interesting reading
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
This is the story of a ruined world. Doomed to destruction by a plague that refuses to let the dead die. Even when they do finally die, the bodies don't rot down, leading to more infection and so the cycle goes on. It is up to two young men who seem to be immune to save their race. Can they do it or is there another solution?

This was something very different from the usual zombie fayre. Combining elements of sci-fi, horror and a sprinkling of Running Man, it made for a very enjoyable and unique read. There was always something going on and the pace was relentless. At first it was quite hard to work out what was going on but as the story progressed and I had sorted out who was who and what went where there was no stopping me. I loved the characters, even the bad guys. Bring on the next Ian, I can't wait to find out where this is going!

I received a complimentary copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.