on 5 June 2014
I am reviewing the science fiction novel Ghosts Of Furya by S M Fields which is a very good story which I downloaded from kindle. This e-book is free on kindle at the moment so I think is an essential purchase. It is part of the same series as the films Pitch Black & Chronicles Of Riddick and details the circumstances behind how Riddick went to be sent to the prison colony. Many people have said Vin Diesel who played the part in the films was perfectly cast. The plot in the book is Riddick whose name is later changed to Richard B Riddick is a native on the world of Furya who saves a marine unit from being savaged by a vicious creature about 4 times the size of an elephant and in a world that resembles the Amazonian Rainforests. He then is offered the chance to join them and later kills a fellow marine in self defence. He is accused of raping a minor and murder and of course they make the latter charge stick. The book is only around 90 pages so is quite short but is an interesting story. The author has said she isn't interested in making this a series because much of the rest of the story is told really well in the films. It is currently number 1 on the Amazon Science Fiction Free Book Chart. It's a shame they don't do a series of novels on this series like they have with Star Wars & Star Trek for example but they probably have less to work with. Apparently the author loves online RPG games and played World Of Warcraft for 8 years.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 October 2014
I always measure my satisfaction on books by whether I want to know more when I've finished the last page. No hesitation then in recommending this book which enteretained from start to finish. The grown up Riddick we know is explained extremely well through this origin story and covers both the innate savagery and the occasional empathy of the character. I hope we see more from this author.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 October 2014
This was actually interesting and well written fanfic, which makes a nice change from the usual garbage of fanfic; I like the chronicle of Riddick's early years, and I think it leads well onto the first film, Pitch Black. Occasional grammar issues but the basic fact is it was well written, enjoyable and good character drive.
5 people found this helpful
on 4 August 2016
As far as origin books go this was good and even better as it was free. As I had only known the good until I read this it seemed strange at first but I soon grasped the fact that it all had to start due to a specific event or two. Really hope there are more as I think Riddick is one of the best anti heroes out there.
on 5 August 2015
Without the sprinkling of spelling mistakes, typographic errors and incomprehensible sentences I feel this would have been a good back-story for the early life of Riddick. It does give an insight into the development of his character. A quick once over by a good proof reader and this would have got 4 stars but as it is 3 is as high as it’ll score for me.
on 4 August 2016
So the circumstances of the genesis of Riddick have been fleshed out,we know both his first years,and the process that caused the development of his attitude,so what we need now is the authors take on the fulfilment of his life,perhaps with more depth than the cinema version,heavy on c g i ,more broad brush strokes,no depth,more please!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 June 2014
I enjoyed all the Riddick films, and this short book tells how Riddick came to be and why Furya and its inhabitants were hated by the Necromongers. A little background on Riddick and how he honed his skills, but not how he got his eyes polished, perhaps thats a new book?

Overall, a good read for the film fans.
on 29 September 2015
Really enjoyed the book and was a good background for the Riddick series. Although the films carry the saga on well there is always room for books with satellite stories that are stand alone, just look at the Star Wars books around. So if the author is in any doubt please don't as your market is out here waiting for you to put pen to paper please!
on 3 February 2015
I chose the rating due to my love of the Riddick saga, anything pertaining to this subject is on my radar, my only constraint against giving it five stars is the fact it's just to darn short and needed more of the dark side of Riddick for my tastes,I think I'd like to see more fill ins between now and pitch black, so as far as I'm concerned, author get writing.
on 28 May 2014
This is OK, needs more to fill in the rest of the life story. Feel there would be material for 4-5 further books before 'Pitch Black' Could have post Pitch Black books, before 'Chronicles of Riddick'. This does tie in earth as being in the not to distant future, and Riddick is definitely an Alien, not a human colonist descendant of Furya.