• Customer reviews

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 19 March 2016
In 1952 MCA and Columbia records dropped ‘has been’ Sinatra after a disastrous ‘partnership’ with record producer, Mitch Miller, responsible for such abominations as the excruciating, Mama Will Bark; a ‘duet’ with ‘Dagmar’! Fortunately, for posterity this was just the dark night before the dawn.

When Sinatra joined capitol a serendipitous event occurred that gave rise to two things; one of the most enduring legacies in the whole of popular music and, the beginning of what came to be known as the ‘concept’ album: in the spring of 1953, Sinatra joined forces with Nat King Cole’s musical director, one Nelson Riddle – and the rest is history! Beginning with, Songs for Young Lovers, from 1953 to 1961, Sinatra averaged over two album releases per year, ending with Sinatra Sings of Love and Things. This box set comprises arguably the epitome of even that collection: twelve original albums including many bonus tracks. You’ll find all of those standards that have come to be synonymous with Sinatra even if they’ve been covered countless times by other artists, some of which represent almost sheer perfection in terms of the seamless realization of voice, lyric, arrangement and orchestration.

True bliss!
on 13 October 2015
I was sceptical about this set mainly because of the price.I've got a few of the albums already (Swinging Lovers,Nice & Easy,Come Fly With Me,Swingin Affair) on CD and others on vinyl but I was missing some others.Even though I effectively bought albums I already owned,it gave me a chance to compare the sound of the CD's in this set with the original Capitol releases.They are to my ears better,certainly louder and with a much richer bottom end,the more orchestral Nelson Riddle arrangements greatly benefit from this.There are some odd omissions from the catalogue,Where Are You? & No One Cares for example have been cherry picked and some tracks show up as bonus tracks,whereas Point Of No Return is totally absent.Other bonus tracks come from the This Is Sinatra compilation and various single releases.
The packaging is great,each cd comes housed in a card sleeve,most cd's contain two albums filled to capacity with tracks and a booklet which comes with a overview by Martha Allen and individual sleeve notes.
All this for a little over a tenner? It's a no brainer.
on 24 January 2015
What a wonderful buy the 1954-1961-15 complete albums by Frank Sinatra is. In my opinion these Capitol releases are the very best of Frank Sinatra's whole career. It is very difficult to say which is the most startling aspect of this music, the vocalising, the musicians, or the arrangements - whatever makes the magic of this sublime music makes it so well. I think Frank Sinatra is in my opinion the greatest male Jazz Singer of the 20th century, because how he was able to utilise his voice like a musical instrument (rather like Billie Holliday), which makes Frank Sinatra completely stunning, flawless, and magnificent. These 15 complete albums by Frank Sinatra are well worth buying - the sound is rich and superb, a worthwhile investment if you love good Jazz singing, which I do. 20 out of 10 in my opinion.
on 15 March 2015
Ol' blue eyes the master is remastered to perfection in this 227 track collection. I am not a Sinatra devotee ( I enjoy Brook Benton's voice more than Frank's) but this was bought as a present for my sister in law who is recovering from cancer and the joy of the music and her continued recovery combine to lift the spirits to a peak. The price is incredible value for money and delivery by courier arrived the day after it was ordered - FREE! I am not too easy to satisfy so this is quite exceptional in every way.
3 people found this helpful
on 25 June 2014
I don't buy myself much stuff and up til' this only had a 'best of' Sinatra CD. After watching a Sinatra doc on TV i decided to expand my Sinatra experience with this box set.

And wow is this a fantastic collection! Wonderful songs and excellent quality throughout. So far i've listened to six of the discs and with listening to them again and again it's taking me a while to get through them all!

I think 'Come Dance With Me' was the biggest suprise as i didn't know many of the songs on it. But what a great album! Not a bad track on it!

So glad i got this. It makes my drive to and from work a real pleasure! Looking forward to hearing the rest of this set but i'm taking my time!

This set just shows the incredible talent of Sinatra and how timeless this wonderful music is. Doubt if people will still be listening to Justin Beiber in 50 years time!
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 22 June 2014
This contains most of Sinatra's albums from his best period. If you already have his "Eight Classic ALbums" and "Nine Classic Albums" collections from Real Gone Records, you will find that this collection contains many of the same albums, but this is still worth buying for the eight albums unique to this collection, including my own favourites, "Songs For Swingin' Lovers" and "In The Wee Small Hours". This collection includes a booklet with the original liner notes from each album and the card sleeves for each CD lists each track, with writers and publishing dates. Overall, a good package.
on 7 December 2014
I am strongly biased having been a fan of FS since 1954 and lucky to see him in concert on a couple of occasions. I already had some of these albums on Cassette and vinyl but had never been able to complete the Capitol recordings. This box set gave me the opportunity to complete the set leaving me with a few duplicates. Worth every penny. But then as I said in my opening I am biased.
Having some of his Columbia recordings on Cassette and the complete Reprise studio recordings I am fortunate to have the almost complete collection of the Voice.
on 2 December 2014
A fantastic retrospective collection of Frank Sinatras Capitol Records (and a few Reprise) output. The remastering is fantastic and the orchestration is so lush to hear on my separates system. It's not compressed (as the label states) so is very realistic and dynamic. Whats nice about this set is you get loads of extra tracks on each CD. These extra tracks are all very well recorded and presented and no duff tracks. Worth every penny. I hope they release another set of his Reprise and 60s albums very soon! 11/10
on 24 January 2015
Astonishing value and the sound quality is superb, as other reviewers have said. It's perhaps easy at this juncture to forget exactly how subtle and nuanced an artist Sinatra was at his vocal peak, particularly on ballads, and these discs - particularly if played on decent equipment - really allow that to shine through. Only the Lonely, for example, will absolutely make your hair stand on end (not only the singing but the superb Nelson Riddle arrangements supporting it). For my money I would rather have done without the bonus tracks, i.e. kept the albums pared down to their original songs only, but that's a very minor quibble. Really if you have any interest in popular music you should own and enjoy these. Later vintage Sinatra is fun and entertaining but these are the discs that will be remembered in 100s of years.
on 2 June 2014
all the albums on this i have got on vinal and some on cd but to have 15 of franks best plus booklet all in one box is a bargan that could not be missed .
this was one of the longest wait for the post to bring this but was worth the wait.
4 people found this helpful