Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.99

on 13 January 2014
Being a big Eric Bogle fan I ordered this CD with maybe to much expectation..
For me this lacks the quality of most of the other CDs I own maybe its me but it sounds rather basic!,
The songs on here also left me quiet bored which is a first for me with Eric the writing seems tired and lacks a lot if I compere with many other songs which Eric has written,alas I have played it once and it sits with the fest of my collection but wont get played as much as the others do
Hope there will be another CD sooner than later
on 30 May 2013
Eric is one of the best singer/songwriters of the last twenty or thirty years, and on A Toss Of The Coin he gives us seven new songs, with two songs from John Munro, which John expertly sings as well, along with a fabulous version of In Flanders Fields. This album is a must for Eric Bogle fans, and, if you are not a fan, probably a decent place to start. There is nothing on this album to match No Man's Land or The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, but, after saying that, there is not a bad track on here either.
on 13 July 2013
I first saw Eric in Edinburgh in 1988 and saw him every time he came to Scotland after that until he stopped touring 2 years ago. A wonderful songwriter and performer and with "A Toss of the Coin" he shows he's lost none of his songwriting abilities. Backed by John Munro and some wonderful musicians this CD is another Bogle masterpiece.
on 7 June 2014
I had intended buying this CD many months before I actually did.

I read others reviews before buying and, had I taken any notice of those, would probably have passed on this one. I am really glad that I still went head with the purchase as it is an excellent album. Maybe it isn't exactly what Eric and John have done over past recordings - there seems a heavier (though not heavy) leaning towards country/country and western style on some tracks that might be unexpected. However, listen to the words - these are very important to their song writing craft - then allow them to fit into context with the music and I am sure most listeners, fans or not, will find an album of well crafted material.

I was tempted to write and track-by-track review but thought that would just be my viewpoint which can be simply cast aside. Instead the best way to appreciate the quality and enjoyment is just listen to it. My view of which tracks are the best change almost day by day after listening to all of them. The only really thing I can add is that no matter what is the best there is no 'worst'. Just my opinion of course on an excellent collection of music.
on 4 June 2013
Excellent, like all his work. His songs have depth and the quality of the musical instruments that accompany him is second to none.
on 24 November 2013
Probably not Eric's album best but it has a few great songs anyway. I'd recommend it to any Bogle fan
on 24 January 2014
Eric Bogle never disappoints and this latest c.d. Is no exception. Maybe a bit more laid back and thoughtful than some others but the lyrics remain outstanding.
on 20 June 2014
Superb album once again from Eric Bogle, well supported as usual by John Munro, if you like folk music from the heart this is for you, hope there is another album coming soon
on 11 December 2013
A long awaited CD but not quite as punchy as his previous works. I'm still a fan though! Keep going.
on 8 October 2013
The Peebles boy always hits the spot and is a credit to the scots. He always has wonderful CD's but probably not frequent enough