on 28 August 2014
As a Black Stone Cherry fan I just don't have the heart to give them less than 3 stars.

That might not make sense and I agree it is a strange thing to say, let me explain. I have been a big BSC fan since I took a chance on their first album. I couldn't wait for their second album Folklore and superstition and it didn't disappoint. It is my favourite album by them and one of my favourites in my collection. The 'difficult' third album then, or maybe not so difficult for BSC. Another great album although maybe straying from the raw southern rock feel that they had originally....

Now to Magic Mountain. I'm afraid I just can't get into it. I wanted to like it but it just doesn't work for me. I'm not sure why, they seem to have lost their original sound in this album and the songs seem a bit disjointed to me.
8 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 11 May 2014
Finally, BSC's fourth has arrived and I was praying it was going to be better than the slightly disappointing 'Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea' - even though it contained some gems. Magic Mountain is twice as good as the third album; I was completely blown away by the monstrous first single 'Me And Mary Jane' which is definitely a contender for the best BSC song ever. Its catchy tune, great riffs, amazing vocals and mad drumming make it one of the best on the new album.

Best Tracks:

'Holding On...To Letting Go' - A great opener to the album. This song uses the Black Sabbath technique of swung quavers in a heavy rock song which is very effective and the screeching guitar solo is awesome.

'Peace Pipe' - Pure gold and an addictive chorus that you can't get out your head. The brilliant guitar work continues throughout the whole song with a strong bass line and, as in every track, the drumming will amaze you.

'Me And Mary Jane' - Genius

'Blow My mind' - This song contains the best riffs BSC has ever come up with along with a rocking verse and chorus.

'Sometimes' - The second and last ballad on the album and what a cracker! An outstanding vocal performance alongside pleasant acoustic guitar and passionate lyrics really gives this song some emotion.

'Dance Girl' - It has everything: a funky intro, electric sound effects and a classic duel guitar solo.

'Hollywood In Kentucky' - Just wow. This is exactly how Hollywood would be in Kentucky! It has a surpising yet tremendous ending that you have to listen to.

'Remember Me' - The longest track the Kentucky rockers have done; just over 6 minutes. It opens with a creepy electronic sound that pops up again in various points in the song. Unbeliable drumming and a killer guitar solo.

All of the other songs are still incredible apart from 'Never Surrender' which is too bonkers for me and Chris Robertson screams most of it.

Overall, 'Magic Mountain' is the finest BSC album for a while with consistantly quality tracks and beastly riffs and solos that Tony Iommi would be proud of! Also, you can't really hear the bass in previous albums, however here, John Lawhon is throbbing away like Geezer Butler. John Fred Young, what can I say, the best rock drummer around. Chris Robertson's growly rock n' roll voice is still going strong and the guitar playing from him and Ben Wells is excellent especially when both of them do a duel guitar solo. I would reccommend 'Magic Mountain' to any fan of rock and you won't be disappointed, add to basket now!! :)
9 people found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 17 June 2014
And so to album number 4 which, bearing in mind the quality of the previous 3 albums, is decidedly, almost, average whiffing a little of just getting an album out there before people begin to forget White Trash Millionaire etc!
It's well recorded but there's just nothing to stand out and smack you between the eyeballs - and before you all clatter me with the "you haven't listened to it mate" - it's been on in the car constantly for a week now and there is just nothing that makes me want to hit the repeat button to hear a hook, a guitar break or (heaven forbid) an anthem! Even the quieter numbers just do not generate warmth or anything inviting. Maybe it really is a case of me just expecting too much from these Kentucky rockers but really, when they have promised so much in their previous releases, to come up with nothing fresh is more than just a little disappointing, it's downright criminal.
Fortunately, by holding back on purchase, I have procured this album for a lot less than it started out at, but nonetheless, I am still several pounds poorer and no music richer..... !
Punters - you have been warned
2 people found this helpful
on 12 May 2014
I was very reserved about buying this after BSC's 2011 effort. Despite having a couple of good tracks, BTDATDBS had me worried that the band might have been irreparably commercialised by Roadrunner in the same way as Nickelback.

With Magic Mountain, the band has gone back to seriously heavy modern riffage combined with all the classic rock trimmings and that's exactly what really turned me on to them in the first place. The first track's switch to half time in the verse was breathtaking the first time I heard it.

At times I feel they might have made their songs a little gimmicky with the drugs references- it makes the band sound a bit like teenagers who've just tried weed for the first time. With that said, 'Peace Pipe' is probably my favourite track from the album.

Not as many soppy ballads in this one, but by far the most disappointing track is 'Hollywood in Kentucky' which is just cringe-worthy with Chris affecting a more pronounced southern accent ('corn bread and buddhurr') that he would never normally use. It's a bit of a blemish on an otherwise commendable album. I'm very happy I gave them the benefit of the doubt!
One person found this helpful
on 24 May 2014
Having read some of the interviews the band did in support of this album really made me listen to the lyrics of this album and it really made it stand out. It speaks of the musical journey undertaken by Chris Robertson and it carries you along to. This is what makes music truly great - a personal musical journey that the listerner relates to and completes the journey coming out of the darkness with the band. Superb.
on 9 June 2014
I first became aware of BSC with their Folklore and Superstition album, which I loved. Since then they have continued to impress me with their lyrical content and powerful riffs. Magic Mountain is another step forward for the band, showing their increasing confidence and maturity . It is a varied album with much to offer ,from all out rocking tracks like the title track to the humour of If Hollywood was in Kentucky. BSC do not disappoint and the character of the band grows with each album.
on 15 December 2014
Not quite as good as the unbeleivably superb "Between the Devil and The Deep Blue Sea" but a half decent album anyway. Seen this band live 3 times now and whilst they are excellent on reciord, they are awesome live performers and give a great show.
One person found this helpful
on 16 February 2018
I wanted to listen and get into another band for a long while BSC hit the spot
on 27 July 2016
An awesome album from an amazing band! My favourite songs are: Me and Mary Jane, Magic Mountain, Remeber Me and Runaway is my top song!
VINE VOICEon 11 May 2014
I only got this CD 6 days ago and already I am hooked. There is plenty of good old Kentucky Rock on this album along with some heavier stuff and a couple of melodic songs. This CD has not left my car CD player since it arrived, it's a must for any BSC fan.