on 30 April 2014
An engaging story of love for community, family and friends told with humor and depth. This fictional account of small community life in rural North Carolina rings with a sense of truth and reality. The reader is taken from laughter to tears within a short chapter. The depth of research almost makes it seem historical. Read a chapter and you will be drawn to the warmth of Southern Life in a Quaker Community. There is much to challenge the mind and heart.
on 19 January 2015
A well crafted book which gives insight into small town America and also how the Quaker beliefs affect people's lives. The story has many interesting facets ranging from faith through racist attitudes to family cohesion. A lot going on but written in a empathetic way which draws the reader in. Well worth reading if you enjoy the inter play between people.
on 23 August 2015
I loved this book. I laughed out loud. I cried. I heaved a huge sigh of relief at the end.

I felt totally involved with the story and characters. The deep simple faith of the Quaker family contrasted with the excesses of modern life. But, as was to be shown, we all have our weaknesses . The reconciliation of a horrific error in early life drives the book to an amazing denouement.

The author sympathetically deals with the tensions which still exist in the South, handles the effects of cancer on whole families, delves into the ups and downs of a mixed small town community and gives us characters we shan't forget.
on 18 August 2015
An amazing book. I listened to it on audio and encourage everyone to do similar. Apart from hearing the sound of the South in the voice of the narrator and the characters all portrayed with life and personality true to the book, I enjoyed that it takes so much longer to listen than to read and I savoured every minute. I laughed out loud and I sobbed real tears as the story took me to both extremes. I grew to love the characters. I learned so much and my respect for all facets of the communities represented has grown. I am a UK citizen and some aspects are foreign to me because such extremes have been less here. I shan't expand on this as it could spoil the twists and turns of the story. My ancestors were Quaker so this was of great interest and has left me wanting to know more. Half way through the book I was already recommending it to friends....Well, back to the beginning. It's good enough to listen to all over again!
on 19 August 2015
Liz is a strong yet dependable character. I loved her little mishaps and laughed out loud as she caused Grandma Hoole to remind her of the Quaker way. Heartbreak and guilt are dealt with in such a compassionate way. Loved reading this story.
on 18 December 2015
At the start I felt things to be moving very slowly and had no idea where wee we going in this quiet, multi religious multi racial North Carolina country town. It just got better and with warmth and humour, joy and pain in equal doses it brought the life in Cedar Branch to us. Loved it
on 23 May 2015
An excellent read witty and very moving. Looking forward to the sequel.
on 9 May 2014
I really enjoyed this story I really loved the characters and their interaction. I recommended this book to our Book Group.
on 14 September 2015
This book was certainly different from any novel that I have previously read. It shows the way of thinking that part of the Quaker community followed in parts of America. It's a quite nail biting story when a deeply hidden secret begins to come to light following a search for a bone marrow match and both black and white communities are involved as the story unfolds. I found the book interesting and recommend it
on 2 January 2016
This a rare story joining a gripping suspense with real thoughtful insight in the spirituality of the Quakers and the black community, coming together in their struggle to find resolution to the injustices of their past. It indicates a path for all who genuinely seek for reconciliation and forgiveness, a lesson in Faith for us all.