Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 28 June 2016
EBL AAA 1100mAh Ni-MH 1200 Cycle Rechargeable Batteries with Storage Cases(pack of 16)

I purchased these rechargeable AAA batteries primarily for use in small torches / head torches which are used frequently - a fairly high drain application for which rechargeable batteries are well suited.

I have a charger which can do a full charge -> discharge -> charge cycle to determine the capacity of a battery, so I tend to use this on all new batteries to determine their actual capacities and spot any duds. My past experience tells me that all manufacturers lie about the capacity of their batteries (some quite outrageously) and in this case EBL are no exception.

However, EBL are very close indeed. All 16 batteries held over 1000mAh - I think the lowest I saw was around 1025, and the highest 1087, with most being in the 1040 - 1060 range. Definitely some of the best I've seen in terms of matching their stated capacity (I was hoping for anything above about 950).

I haven't had them long enough to comment on their durability, although 1200 charge and discharge cycles sounds wildly optimistic - I shall be very pleased to get half of that. I'll post an update in the future if they fall short of this and my rating will change accordingly, but so far they're looking good.

One word of caution. I also purchased 8 of their AA siblings for a similar purpose - torches and lanterns. One of my torches, an LED Lenser, won't accept the EBL AA batteries - they're simply too big. I haven't encountered this problem with the AAA batteries so far, but thought it worth a mention. Please click 'Yes' below if you found this review helpful.
44 Comments| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 12 October 2014
I originally posted a review for this charger in August 2014. The first unit I had shorted out after only a handful of uses and the company that sold me it sent an immediate replacement. I have been using this replacement charger since then and have probably used it no more than a dozen times and once again it has blown. I was attempting to charge four AAA rechargeable duracells that are only on their fourth recharge. Both units shorted out in the same way, i.e. I placed the batteries in the charger as two pairs, turned it on at the wall socket, this was follwed by a crackling sound and a smell of burning. I would strongly advise any owners of this unit to not leave it unattended.
44 Comments| 112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Great value ready to go aaa batteries come precharged, and unlike some rechargeables these hold the charge very well when sitting unused. Some rechargeable batteries lose charge quickly over time if not used soon after charging, not these! They come with four plastic storage boxes, so i can have spare sets charged up ready and waiting safely stored in the drawer. These batteries cost a bit initially, but will pay for themselves and some over time & also reduce waste helping the environment. My only very minor gripe was the anti tamper sticker on the boxes was hard to open, but I suppose is a good sign they are legit and brand new. I really recommend these. If you find this review helpful please click on the helpful button, thanks.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 2 July 2016
I have tested the AA and AAA batteries using two different battery testers made by third parties. This review applies to both the AAA as well as AA batteries. I have bought both types now MANY times and have lots of them. These are really good batteries!!

I decided to try EBL batteries after reading the amazon reviews on a variety of battery brands (the good reviews, the bad reviews, the lot). I basically discovered them here.

Nearly everyone who buys and tests EBL seems to be very happy. I am too. They are not cheap batteries to buy, come in clear hard plastic cases which snap shut, and securely hold 4 AA batteries per case. Ive had a year to put them through their paces and the EBL batteries I first bought are still going strong.

I fully drained both sets of batteries (Ive done this test countless dozens of times) and charged them fully, measured the amount of charge they took. Ive found that both the AA and AAA batteries both take a little more power/charge than the figures claimed. Excellent! They outperform the rechargeable Energiser, Duracell and obviously all the cheaper rechargeable batteries I have tested in years gone by.

And Im finding that after time goes by, whilst performance has been reduced, they are nearly all STILL outperforming the claimed capacity of a new battery despite now not being new (Ive updated this review many times), which is at the very high/good/positive end of the scale anyway. They are utterly superb in that sense.

It is normal for all rechargeable batteries to lose a small percentage of their total capacity every month, if in regular use. All batteries perform less and less well, over time. In the longevity department, these perform incredibly well. I am not saying there is not a better battery out there, but to date, these are the best batteries I have had the pleasure of finding, buying and using.

In other words, if you are new to battery tech and just need help choosing something decent and reliable, if you can afford these, grab them without hesitation.

PHOTOS: The energisers have finished charging (but continue to trickle charge at 10 mAh, now that they are full. So ignore the “Charging” status, the charge cycle (at 200 mAh) is complete, but the charge indicator remains on until the batteries are taken out, at just 10mAh.

THE CHARGER IN THE PHOTOS
The charger shown in the photos I also bought at full price from Amazon. Best charger I have ever owned (I have lots). It charges batteries at 4 speeds (you select which, from 200, 500, 700 and 1000 mA/h) and also has settings to test batteries, remove the memory effect, and also a fourth mode to recondition old knackered batteries improving them a fair bit, to a degree.

I really like the EBL batteries, I now come back to them as my number 1 go-to battery.
Im going to buy some Eneloop batteries to test as well, which I have not bought/tried yet, but have read good things about.

I did a tonne of reading before buying, the same with the charger. Incidentally, if you are after a charger, search for the one in the photos. It’ll tell you exactly what condition all of your batteries are in after each charge, including voltage, mAh, charge time, etc. The charger will also charge 1 battery by itself, or 2, or 3 or 4, so you don't have to charge in pairs. Really nice little charger.

DID YOU KNOW, it costs less than 2p to fully charge 3 high capacity AAA batteries, going by current UK electricity prices.
review image review image
22 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
New Update, Dec 2016: Still going strong after two and a half years in continuous use. Still very happy with it.

Update, Dec 2015: This has been in use almost every day for well over a year and a half now and it's still really good. It's been a great product and my review below still applies.

This is a very good battery charger. It was sent to me for review and I am impressed - it is a big improvement on the charger I have been using for some years.

The unit seems very well made: it is light but robust and well ventilated so it doesn't overheat. It takes 8 batteries in all, which must be charged in matching pairs but you can charge pairs of AA and AAA at the same time. It is pretty quick because it charges at a slightly higher voltage than many chargers. It depends on the capacity of the batteries, of course, but I found charging time roughly between 3 and 5 hours.

The unit has 4 coloured LEDs - one for each pair of batteries - which change gradually from red to orange to green as the batteries charge. When they are fully charged the unit switches to trickle charge which keeps the batteries fully charged without harming them by over-charging. It has all the safety features you would expect in a decent-quality unit.

I use a lot of AA and AA batteries, and I really like this charger. It gets used most days and just does the job simply and without any fuss. It's well made and very reasonably priced, and I can recommend it.
77 Comments| 87 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 October 2016
This item is completely unfit for purpose. It only gets very warm but does not charge batteries at all. Left 4 x AA's on charge for 24hrs, charge lights said it was charging but no impact on the batteries. Put in my other charger and batteries charged normally in about 4 hrs. Unfortunately the item I purchased a 'warehouse deal' that had only 30 day return and didn't get to use the device until the 30 days had elapsed. Beware Amazon Warehouse deals they appear to be just recycling faulty Poorgoods.
on 22 November 2016
The unit has a reassuringly solid look and feel compared with many low-end electronic products in today's market and, after limited use, seems to do the job well enough. Charging takes some time (think hours for well-used batteries) but that's not a major problem for a process unlikely to be an emergency.

My only issue is with the instruction leaflet coming up short in one important respect. It does say that "the charger could charge 2/4/6/8 [batteries at a time]" but does not make it clear that this is a requirement, not a bonus. The fact is that batteries must be charged in (up to four) pairs, and it would be helpful if this was made clear in the leaflet rather than relying on the Amazon content. If only one battery is inserted per LED, the LED will show green (indicating fully-charged) irrespective of the battery's actual charge.
on 9 October 2015
didn't work, made some very dodgy buzzing noises, threw it straight in the bin.
couldn't be bothered to chase a replacement. I bought a duracell one instead, more money but much better build quality and peace of mind
on 21 December 2015
In spite of what others state in the reviews, this charger comes complete with 8 800mAh AAA Ni-MH Rechargeable Batteries
I usually use Eneloops for my cameras/flashes/led lenser etc, these seem on a par with those so far, however, only time will tell if they last as long.
Charger is performing as stated and is good value for the price charged.
EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Batteries have started failing after a few uses. 4 have gone into re-cycling, the rest in non urgent appliances. They also do NOT hold their charge when stored, (in house, in draw, in case) Charger is fine and in regular use. Stars reduced accordingly, and gone back to Eneloops as they have never failed me after several years of use!
on 17 January 2016
Great product (EBL AA 2800mAh), a little expensive but you get what you pay for. If you want a quality long lasting and high performance battery then these are the ones to go for. They feel very well made (somewhat lighter feeling than other brands) and unlike other brands the actual size is spot on, some other brands the case is a slightly fat and they don't fit properly, no problems with these ones.

They take quite a while to charge but that should be expected due to the higher capacity. When not in use they hold their charge well and when in use they perform really well. Only time will tell how well they will age, but so far I think they will do extremely well and better than other brands.

They come with nice little storage cases which will help you keep then arranged in batches so if you charge them in groups at the same time then you'll keep them in tip top condition and they should last a long time.

Worth the extra money.