Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop now

on 6 July 2015
69 five star reviews so far - though a lot of them of the "Great! Must buy more books by this author" variety - so what am I missing?
Certainly not the hackneyed plot, cardboard characters, unlikely situations, complete lack of suspense, and dialogue so contrived and wooden that it's hard to tell if it's a 12 year old boy or his grandmother speaking. A stiff, smug and patronising sleuth (he's a sexual magnet for all the women in the castle, apparently) who recounts everything in such dogged detail that it reads like a police statement, is just the cherry on the cake. I skimmed through to the end to find out whodunnit, and found that I didn't care.
Two stars because it was free, and I've read worse, I suppose: it's unpretentious, and very clear and thorough. If you were looking for an undemanding, old-fashioned country house murder mystery to pass the time on the daily commute or whatever then it might do, but I thought it was extremely dull.
on 27 April 2014
What a surprise, I wasn't sure what to expect from this book as I don't usually choose stories like this. It was quite a revelation, loved the main character, it was funny and engaging in parts, will look for more by this author.
on 25 September 2014
I don't write many reviews, but this woefully bad book has 4 stars and I don't want anyone else to be misled by that.
It reads like a story written by a 7 year old with all the grasp of plot and character that a child of that age would demonstrate.
The two main characters are so annoying that I wanted them both to die.
This book was free and I STILL feel cheated.
on 2 October 2014
I did not enjoy this book at all. I skipped the first chapter altogether as it rambled on so much. It started to get better, but sadly got worse so skipped more and more bits. I only then finished it to find out what happened but wish I hadn't bothered. I got fed up of Eve having a shower all the time, that's all she ever did! Adam was annoying, he was acting too heroic all the time. The 12 year old boy acted more like he was 40. The police didn't appear to be even slightly concerned that there was a killer on the loose and dead bodies lying about.The withheld information nearing the end was just annoying and frustrating, it was obviously done to hold the suspense until the very end, but it really was just tedious. There were too many characters to keep track of and it was a really wishy washy ending.
on 30 August 2014
I have downloaded dozens of free books from Amazon to my kindle of the last few months, and most reflect the price. This however was an unexpected gem among the majority. I feel really lucky to have discovered this in the 'free books' section unexpectedly. Basically an Edwardian style murder mystery in a mansion (actually a castle in this case) book, but updated to the late 1990s. No later I suspect in order the preclude mobile phones from interfering with the (deliberately) cliched 'telephone lines down' plot requirement.
Not only a well crafted update on an old standard, but the characters are all very well written.
on 19 March 2015
Promised well from the blurb, but I found it difficult to get into, and a bit of a plod to get through to the end. It uses a "house cut off and murders committed" scenario. I found the dialogue rather stilted, and the style rather formal. The many references to the hero and heroine in several "will they/won't they" situations seemed to be dealt with in a fairly juvenile way in my opinion. There were a couple of bits where a witness said something to the protagonist and we were not told what it was, only that it provided the key to the mystery - I found that a bit pointless, or at least handled strangely. Why not just tell us what was said and let us work on the clue for ourselves? Did finish it but it became a bit of a slog.
on 29 May 2014
I have read all of this authors books and usually cannot put them down,however this one in my opinion was harder work.I do love the Mike Nash series and hope he returns to them soon.
on 27 March 2014
Thoroughly enjoyed this book. Have read all his other books. The only criticism is the proof reader missed some typos. Kept you guessing right to the end.
on 8 October 2014
I had high hopes for this book after reading some of the reviews, but personally I found it really frustrating. I like to try to solve the mystery too, but to do that, I need information. I dislike it when the book says something like 'So-and-so told him what she had seen and this made him realise who it could have been'. If I'm not told what So-and-so saw, how can I solve anything? I ended up skipping pages because I was fed up of Adam's aches and pains and general moaning, but still wanted to know whodunit. It was not a conclusion I could have forseen.
on 11 April 2014
Enjoyed every moment. Great characters, More twists than a corkscrew. Well-written, with no unnecessary padding and only the odd typo, and with nicely flowing syntax. What more do you want? As a proof-reader and editor, I can tell you I am not easily pleased, and consign so many books to the "dustbin", unfinished, because of bad writing and blatant errors. I rarely write reviews, because there are just so many books on Kindle that I couldn't review without being offensive - and I was too well brung up for that! Good stuff, Bill..