Customer reviews

Un-natural Selection
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.98

on 8 April 2014
A murder mystery with an unusual slant, tackling a topical issue which might feasibly become a 21st century problem.
The characters were well drawn and believable, and there was a lot of description concerning the history, geography and natural semi-rural environment of the area, which might appeal to natural history buffs.
It is quite a long and slow paced novel, but when the action happened, it was menacing, exciting, and in places quite gripping!
I would recommend to those looking for a good mystery/suspense novel, who have an interest in wildlife and the countryside, and concerns for the potential dangers of encouraging any form of domestication of wild animals!
on 11 April 2014
This book covers a very interesting topic and poses some intriguing questions that I found myself considering long after I had finished reading it. It is a well constructed first novel that takes time to flesh out the characters and describe their environment. The moments of suspense and menace build nicely and I found myself totally immersed in the narrative at these points.
The author clearly has a good knowledge of zoology and botany, and these themes are cleverly woven into the prose, enhancing the descriptive passages.
I am intrigued as to what subject matter the author will choose for the next novel.
on 31 March 2014
This book was a very pleasant surprise. I won't give the plot away but it kept me guessing until the end. I particularly liked Tony's sheer determination to get to the bottom of all the 'goings on', using his knowledge and past experiences and I enjoyed trying to imagine the well described semi rural environment. Plenty of mystery and suspense until the final chapter. This book will appeal to anyone who likes a good mystery and also to wildlife lovers and anyone who appreciates the countryside. It's certainly a bit different to all the other books on the shelf. I'll be reading it again very soon.
on 4 June 2014
Spoilt by poor writing and punctuation. I bought the book because I walk my dog in Poor Common. The writer obviously knows this area very well. I did enjoy reading about places I know very well.
on 4 April 2014
An intriguing mystery about something potentially horrifying in an everyday setting. Makes you think twice about going into the garden in the dark| Some interesting facts and descriptions about the native wildlife are included, which adds to the narrative. A good read if you want something different.
on 18 May 2014
I enjoyed this story very much, particularly as it suggests something sinister that seems entirely possible and I can't think why it hasn't been thought of it before. I also liked it because it is set in the town of Ferndown near where I live. Accurate descriptions made it easy for me to visualise many of the places because they really exist. This made it all the more chilling. Though it was a slow read, the author managed to keep my interest to the end, despite some scenes that let the book down because they weren't realistic. I also found the story muddling in places because the viewpoint switches around a lot, including narration by the author, which I felt took away some of the tension. Research needs to be more thorough, particularly the August bank holiday date, which annoyed me. I did, however, like the characters and many of the scenes and it made me view the wild animals that roam through my garden at night in a slightly different way. This novel would make a good TV serial. First though, it needs a few tweaks. Well done James for such an interesting story.
on 22 July 2015
I love a good mystery and this is certainly that. The characters were really well developed and enjoyed the descriptions of the countryside and wildlife. The book addresses some interesting questions and really makes you think. Recommended reading!
on 9 January 2016
Very enjoyable book even recognised a few places he wrote about. Brought a copy for my sister who also enjoyed it. Keeps you guessing who the culprit is.