on 26 August 2017
Whether you're a screenwriter or novelist, this incredibly useful book offers a wealth of practical advice on story concept, plot structure, character development and an in-depth section on scene writing. Through analysis of the most commercially successful films, Hauge examines the specific techniques for writing great action, on-the-nose dialogue, compelling and credible characters that illustrate how to elicit a positive emotional response from an audience/reader in order to create a story that will sell. The final section on marketing and pitching a story concept gives a fascinating insight into the film industry in general, but was of less relevance to me as a novelist. I will definitely be keeping this book on my reference shelf for future use. Can highly recommend.
on 17 September 2017
A great book for all writers out there. What I like most about it is that they never shy away from the cold, hard truth - you just need to write. It's full of great advice and guidance for aspiring authors, but none of it will be of any use to you unless you get your butt in the chair and write. You need to tackle your writing business with two 'hats' - a creative one when it's time to write the damn book and the business one when its time to promote and market it. This book gives you great tips for both of these. Now stop reading this review and go get on with your writing! Shoo!
on 14 June 2017
As a first time self publishing writer I really liked this book. My first book was already written by the time I got to this and maybe if I'd read this first it would have helped a lot. The idea of serialising one's novel into a set of novellas and all the marketing ideas that went with that were enlightening and new to me. I aim to re-read this before getting too seriously into my next effort. Recommended.

Can I plug my own novel? Hope you don't mind if I do. Please take a look:
Apocalypse Sundae
on 17 May 2017
Motivational, informative, essential.

Was recommended this by a friend as I intend to convert my mothballed first novel draft into something publishable.

This has materially changed the way I plan to do that in at least 9 ways I can think of off the top of my head. Trying to do achieve my dream without having read this would have amounted to a whole lot of pissing on the wind. Thanks for preserving the dryness of my legs.

Thanks guys, and thanks to (bestselling author and indie publisher) David Bussell for the recommendation.
on 20 March 2014
As a fan of the Self-Publishing Podcast, I knew this book was likely to be chock-full of advice for anyone who wants to write and is considering self-publishing their work. But, I have to admit, even I wasn't ready for just how honest that advice would be. It's great to hear Johnny, Sean and through them, Dave, explain that there is no quick fix when it comes to writing for a living. You have to put the hours in. You have to do the work. You have to write - and write a lot. Trust me - not all 'how I did it' books lay down that truth (I'm looking at you, JL...) Highly recommended.
on 12 June 2017
This is excellent. The basic message is put the work in, but be smart about how you do it. There was so much I wasn't aware of that they made so blindingly obvious it has given me renewed faith in the process and armed me with the knowledge I need to be efficient. This is for the creatives who need to develop their business mind, but also helps with storytelling and points out some of the dumb mistakes we all make.
on 19 September 2017
Brilliant! Explained everything I needed to know and made me excited to get writing!
on 27 September 2017
Just what a" Writer" needs Its a Great help , thank you.
on 8 May 2014
I have written several non fiction books but I have been an aspiring fiction author for over 30 years, I've even started writing books and binned them after 40,000 words or so as the task just seemed too daunting. After reading this book I really got fired up to write again and am already up to 10,000 words on my first serialized fiction novel.

What made the difference?

For one, the guys Johnny B Truant, Sean Platt and David Wright all write serialized novels i.e. They write a six or nine book series of books, each one self contained, so they're really novellas. They also write full length novels, but to me writing serialized novels just made so much sense and gave me that feeling of 'I can do this' instead of thinking 'Jeez, 120,000 words is just too much'.

The section on story beats really made it for me though. Again it was like an 'a-ha' moment and really pushed the book I'm writing forward. It sounds like a really simple idea but truly it is a really powerful idea.

They also go into the marketing of your book which every author should know about, but they do it in such a way that it's genuine heart marketing: reaching your fans in a genuine and honest way.

The business of writing is also covered which is just great.

I said this was one of four resources you need, here are all four:

1. This book
2. Stephen King's 'On Writing' book - I have read this 5 times over the last few years.
3. Scrivener (Amazing must have tool for all writers)
4. The Self Publishing Podcast (A video and audio podcast by the guys who wrote this book. It is funny, smart and just bloody amazing with some fantastic information for indie authors)

If you're into writing and willing to put in the work required this book and the resources above will definitely get you there.
on 2 August 2016
Thank you for writing this fantastic guide! As a non-fiction writer, I had my doubts about this book in the first few pages but I'm glad I continued reading as it truly contains some great information!