Customer reviews

I very much doubt this story was written by the now famous Joe Hill son of Stephen King. Be careful. I downloaded the story without checking the author however; I read it, took less than half an hour including a short break to make coffee, so I'm giving a fair review.

The plot twists itself around a cliched but popular theme; there's a monster in the lake. This particular monster is discovered in a most unusual manner by two youngsters, Gail and Joel, on the shores of Lake Champlain near to their homes.

Children being children they think they've discovered a 'dead dinosaur' (maybe they have but I'm not telling you) and what follows is a dialogue driven account of what's happening in their hearts and minds during this highly unusual situation.

There's some good scene setting. The atmospheric views of the lake are well done and I enjoyed the building tension as the two children, and their 'monster', become enshrouded by a a thick, wet mist against the shores of that deeply, dark lake but this isn't a horror.

The final scenes are, in my opinion, the better written but the story is too short, there's too much padding and the the plot's cut too close. There's no room for the author to engage with his themes.

As a stand alone short story I'm not greatly impressed. As a story to take on holiday and read to older children I think it's just about OK. I'm obviously disappointed but would have to admit there are a few decent snippets here and there.
on 7 September 2014
Its a short story and it doesnt cost very much... but I didnt like it very much. Kind of like the worst of Stephen King (go figure,..) just too self consciously "every man" in its tone, filled with a kind of contempt and bitterness that (for me and maybe just for me) seeps into even a simple short story like this and makes it feel kind of uncomfortable.