on 11 July 2015
I enjoyed this, but he missed Repton (King Penda), Ashby dela Zouch (spa), and Old Sawley (meeting of Derwent, Trent and Erewash) in the download I received. I'm minded to write my own views of The Midlands now ;)
on 7 March 2017
ok
on 12 April 2014
Good book but concentrates on the East Midlands rather than the West Midlands which has the 'Capital of the Midlands'....Birmingham as the author Robert Shore hails from Mansfield.......With a foot in both camps being born in Birmingham and therefore a Brummie and an Alumnus of Nottingham University this tome is well worth a read for all you Midlanders out there who are sick to death of having London and 'Our Friends in the North' shoving down our throats
on 1 July 2014
I bought this to learn more about Leicester having just read some brilliantly funny tales in the book the 7.52 to london bridge. I always thought the Midlands was only famous for crossroads Benny and miss Diane.
on 9 June 2014
A quirky little book which makes you keep saying "well I never knew that". Every location should have a book like this written about it.
on 8 April 2014
enjoyable read, but very much centred on the east midlands, understandable as author hails from mansfield.
there's a lot more to the west midlands than ossie osbourne, frank skinner and lenny henry (all comedy characters! )do i detect a trend here?
perhaps an opening for an aspiring writer to cover this area.

ps. if there was an equivalent to robin hood in the west midlands i'm sure he would have robbed both rich and poor of that area, then moved south!
on 7 June 2014
Although the book contained some interesting points I always felt that it had been written in a rush and lacked "body "
on 6 September 2014
This book was recommended by Amazon based on previous purchases. It was a free book, so I thought I would take a chance. It is ok but nothing special. It seems to be designed to get people to read Robert Shore's other book, which this book has a taster chapter of. He writes well and I'll certainly consider reading his other book but this book was more a list of things from the Midlands and I enjoyed the taster chapter more than the main book.
on 15 February 2015
Possibly, the only reason I brought this was because it was free. Its OK, but there are certainly better things that have come out of the Midlands that didn't make it in to the book.

Could be made better if this was a series with other titles giving 50 great things to come out of other areas of the UK.

Like my review title says, this is more a ready once and throw away book. Much like most of the free ebooks on here!
on 24 April 2014
It's nice to see this book lauding the (many) overlooked achievements of our region, but there are a few significant things missing...

1) Jaguar
2) Land Rover
3) Cadbury's
4) JCB

Although Spitfires get a mention, the factory at Castle Bromwich doesn't.

Apart from that it's an enjoyable little book which imparts some well-deserved pride to all Midlanders!