on 30 September 2017
I really enjoyed the earlier albums by Elbow but haven't listened to them that much of late. I saw them in concert over the summer and was inspired to buy a more recent album. This is ok but not much more, and for me, not a patch on their best work. Guy Garvey still has that wonderfully rich, gravelly voice, and the band are all accomplished musicians but the album lacks any stand out tracks or anything that is remotely memorable. The emphasis seems to be on the lyrics, which at times over-complicated and seem to be merely accompanied by backing music, rather than combining with an engaging melody to make an integrated or effective song. The songs tend to be very similar and the album as a whole is just a bit dull and monotonous. Elbow are a good band but this isn't their finest hour, try some of their earlier albums which are excellent.
on 12 March 2014
The last album was beautifully enhanced with the Halle Youth Choir in a way that was organic and not at all gimmicky; thoughtful and well composed and subtly produced. Translated well to the live stage too.

This latest album is pointed and enhanced with very original use (in popular music context) of woodwinds and brass - I didn't want to title my review with windy goodness in case it's taken the wrong way :D

The 4 stars rather than 5 is because it has the warm blanket of familiarity of all things Elbow, so it doesn't sound earth shattering musically (although the lyrics are as always astoundingly insightful and often moving) - it does however grow on you with subtle detail of instrumentation and clever accompaniment.

This review will probably be updated with further listening, since Elbow's multilayered sound world changes perception everytime you hear it.
on 12 March 2016
After my son bought me the live album which was a surprise as I've not really shown in an interest in this band. But enjoyed that album. So after sampling a few tracks of this album I decided I would buy it . It certainly does grow on you and a great album for a long car journey. Quite mellow in places . I agree with other comments that this album does creep up on you . I would certainly recommend purchasing this for the price. Even if it was full price I still would buy it. Don't let the knock down price put you off , like it almost did me. Try it.!
on 9 May 2017
Excellent album very chilling and relaxing !! Always a pleasure to listen to in car, home or in the garden.
on 2 May 2016
Played and played till we decided to restrict its use. Haunting melodies and words sung with expressive vocals
on 3 September 2017
Elbow at their best
on 26 July 2017
a1
on 4 July 2017
It is what it is
on 5 September 2017
A real pleaser, the first elbow I purchased.
on 28 February 2015
Great service,not a bad cd,cant complain.