Customer reviews

on 25 April 2014
I bought this book just after I had, "The Chimp Paradox". That's a good book, but while it may fit an elite athlete, I didn't think it was altogether me. If you are more run of the mill, like most people, this fills in the holes.
While most people who by this book will be interested in self protection, this book not only covers the psychology involved in that field, but extends it into more everyday life. It's easily understandable and uses examples we can all relate to.
An interesting, useful and relevant book for anyone, whether they are martial artists or not.
on 11 December 2016
I found that book in following Rory's other fantastic books and DVDs in the field of self-protection.
But this great book beats everything. You not only find self-protection material. It's about human behaviour, understanding your life better (why do I function like this?), it's Management literature.
For me Rory's model of human behaviour works much better than most of the management literature I already read.
on 18 April 2017
Fantastic book. Well written and easily explained to the average person.
on 9 May 2014
In my daily job I deal with a lot of confrontations this includes nutters, plastic gangsters, and the odd psychotic now and again, this book is a great read and very helpful, i have a lot of Rory Miller books along with my self defence/ confrontation collection, if you need a book on confrontation and how to understand it better , this is a book for.
on 3 August 2016
I never write reviews...........until today. Excellent book using simple terms and examples to easily put across useful and fascinating subject matter. Clearly written by someone who lives by what they are trying to impart. I partly read "The Chimp Paradox" before this but quickly got bogged down and bored by the style. Mr Millers style makes this easy to read and also easy to put into practice.
on 3 April 2017
I really enjoy the reading of this book. I was so in it that I just read straight through. It is always a pleasure to encounter (through books or otherwise) a martial artist with a brain. There was a palpable sense of traditional martial art tangle with the author's reality .
on 13 July 2015
This is a well written and useful book, at least as good as "Verbal Judo" or "Arresting Communication", and maybe better. It covers communications skills for both social and instrumental violence, and explains why people move towards violence.
on 3 March 2016
A very interesting read, I bought this book after attending a ConCom seminar with Rory Miller. Well worth getting, some of the subjects make you think about things very differently.
on 26 February 2017
A paradigm-shifting read! Not just applicable to 'conflict communication' either, this book is deep.
on 8 October 2016
Just brilliant. No more no less...

Get it. Read it. Eat it :)