on 8 October 2016
I first heard 'The War on Drugs 'Slave Ambient' album through Amazon Prime and was so impressed how good it sounded. Then I began to look into what else they had done and came across their latest album 'Lost in the Dream'. I was utterly blown away. This is simply a beautiful collection of tracks that I've not felt so good about since hearing U2's The 'Joshua Tree'. There are no comparions to U2 here though. Think Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, Bruce Springsteen and Dire Straits and you'll be on the right track.

Slave Ambient was good, but this is so much more. Their first album does nothing for me - an Indie mess if you want my honest opinion, But 'Lost in the Dream' is just so much more. It's what a good band matures in to - it keeps me coming back for more. Best album I have heard in years.
6 people found this helpful
on 13 December 2017
Stumbled across the group by accident but what an album !
Each track is amazing, meaningful lyrics and superb musicianship.
They can kick up a party storm or drop the tempo down a notch for the ballad songs.

One of the best groups I have heard in a long time.
They remind me of U2 when they used to be relevant and had something to say.
Long before Bono got too rich and became the biggest hypocrite around. Principles are easy when your hungry.
Asking everyone to give $$ but giving nothing himself.

The title track "Under The Pressure" is infections and I can't stop playing it.

Brought all the last 3 albums on the strength of this one, and the latest one is a knock out as well
on 11 February 2018
It's OK. In fact the sound is very good and hooks you from the outset in, for want of a better description, a "wall of sound" kind of way. That's not a very good comparison but the best I can come up with. Suffice to say it's a very full and warm sound - that I'm quite partial to actually. However, the lyrics are so far down in the mix that it's hard to sometimes understand what's being sung. And there are no real killer tunes either - they all morph into one pleasant, but not outstanding, sound. I want to like this much more than I actually do but, if I'm being truthful and objective, I can only give 3 stars. Perhaps I'd give 3.5 but I can't and it's definitely not a 4 star-er.
on 13 February 2018
The only way to stop Under the Pressure running round in my head, was to buy the album ti play whenever, so I did and haven't regretted it, though I still don't like, yet, track three.
Under the Pressure has a long outro, but then, so has track five Disappearing, but this is a very hypnotic track and while you're kept waiting for the yeah yeah yeah yeah, the spasmodic "crash" appears to nudge you along a bit more into this atmospheric outro.
The album is full of rock hard drumming and fluid guitars and of course, the throaty vocals of Adam and I will certainly buy their next album, possibly a few days after this one, as I'm now a TWOD fan and I'll soon get to love track three...some time!
VINE VOICEon 19 May 2015
Having come to War on Drugs through Slave Ambient and thoroughly enjoyed that I was anxious to try the next album.
Now for some quirk initially I was not as impressed; I’m putting that down to having a touch of ‘flu at the time, because these days it’s played at least once a day.

Whether it’s the fast paced uplift of Red Eyes or the haunting reflection of Lost in A Dream, this album has no filler track. There is much texture and melody within each, the music melding something of the old American laments of the 19th Century moving through the thoughtful folk and folk-rock of the 1960s and onto the challenge of Indy/Alternative of these days.

Much has been said about this already, this is only by own small contribution of affirmation for what has the qualities of being one of the top albums of 2015.

When I am ever in a sour or short-fuse mood (not uncommon), this album is played and I feel a whole lot better afterwards.
on 7 June 2018
As a huge fan of TWoD, I wanted this vinyl just to have, whether it sounded good or not - as such, I'm unabashedly a fan of the music aspect of this record. Instead, my review score speaks for the quality of the vinyl itself.

As a band with several layers of sound and various instruments playing at any given moment, the sound of TWoD could easily have become a muddy soup of noises - thankfully, this is not the case on this record.
The vocals are crisp and easy to pick out (when they are intended to do so - Granduciel's vocals are often deliberately submerged beneath the bands other members), and the instrumentation is beautifully mixed. I swear, several times on this vinyl certain sounds have surprised me, having not been able to pick them out on Spotify alone.

An excellent quality vinyl with fantastic content.
on 19 June 2016
I hear the influences of many other musicians on this - including Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen and Cold Play. Overall this is an excellent album which gives an original take on the music of the 1960s to the 1990s. I listened to it virtually non-stop for two weeks. One of the best things I've heard in a while. Strongly recommended.
on 8 October 2014
This is my first cd by T.W.O.D and what a great album, i love it. Brainier musical minds than mine when i read the reviews said how T.W.O.D were a cross between Petty, Dylan and Springsteen, and that is most definitely true. This has been in my car cd player since the day it arrived, a brilliant album and a must for anyone, especially those who enjoy any of the mentioned artists, you wont be sorry!!
One person found this helpful
on 8 October 2014
Best music of 2014, loved "Slave Ambient" then watched out for this, great Americana music with touches of Springsteen and Dylan, I also hear Bob Seegar, another reviewer mentions the competition between W.O.D and Kurt Vile, although "Walking on a Pretty Daze" was a great follow up to "Smoke Ring....." I think this finishes of the competition, this just surpasses anything released this year. Great guitar music. *****
on 16 May 2015
I found this very likeable and playable rock ...sounds like so many people ....the guys voice is great and nice harmonies on guitar too !
Some really great driving trax here , some might say a bit samey samey or repetitive ...but they said that about REM , Coldplay ,Pink Floyd etc etc its rock and all been done before . There isn't much new rock around the clock ! DJEJ