Customer reviews

The Marriage Game
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 31 October 2014
This was a delightful novel. Very slow in some parts but at the same time, keeping the reader interested because though of course we do know the outcome we still want to know personal stories.

This is not just history, this is a personal love story of a queen who was tragically torn in two. Today she would have been diagnosed with the syndrome and treated accordingly. At that time she kept it a well hidden secret and took it with her to the grave.

Elizabeth I came to the English throne through very turbulent times. She was quite used to intrigue and murder though murder and death warrants would haunt her to the end of her days. Very early on she fell in love with Robin and this love affair would also last her to the end of her days. The tragedy that she would not allow herself to take this affair to its culmination in marriage was her personal tragedy. For Elizabeth England reigned supreme and was her Master. Everything she did including the protracted marriage negotiations (which she had no intention of fulfilling) were done for the benefit of the country.

The Queen enjoyed the flirtations, and the intrigues of court politics involved in the marriage negotiations. What this did to her relationship with Robin whom she supposedly loved was secondary. A woman who seemed very calculating of every move and who wanted the cake and the plate as it were.

The author spins the story of Elizabeth I masterfully. Flaws and all are mercilessly revealed but at the same time the character and strength of Elizabeth are also revealed and how she laid the foundation for good governance in England is apparent.
on 22 July 2016
This is my first Weir book and I'll struggle to read anymore. This was so boring. I skipped pages trying to find some of the interesting history. Basically it's the same two pages - Queen teases Dudley, everyone is appalled, men throughout the world try to win her hand, she is flattered and tries to make Dudley jealous. Yawn. This is one of our greatest monarchs and this is what she's subjected to. Poor old Queenie! I've read other reviews and I may give another Weir book a go as it appears that her good name is most certainly not based on this dull tome!
on 23 September 2014
I usually enjoy books by this author however this novel was so tedious I didn't finish it. It was full of page after page of Elizabeth falling out with Robert then making up. Historical chic lit!
on 21 July 2014
I think I was disappointed in this. It got very repetitive and sometimes the writing style became very peculiar, as if Alison Weir was forgetting herself and slipping back into her non-fiction style, and just listing what had happened chronologically rather than telling a story. Her Elizabeth was a little caricature at times too.

Basically, it was fine, but there are better Elizabeth I bio-novels out there.
on 1 July 2014
I've had this on pre-order for ages and have been hooked from the first page. I really love how Alison Weir writes and wish that she would turn some of her non-fiction books in to stories. I'd certainly be keen to read the fictional version of the Princes in the Tower. Whenever I finish her books it always sees me heading off to one of the places she writes of, in this case Hampton Court here I come!
on 23 August 2014
I`m a big fan of Alison Weir so probably a bit biased on this review. Easy to read like her other novels and she tries to get into Elizabeth`s thoughts. The only thing I found was that I felt as if I was reading the script from the 80s bbc series with Glenda Jackson, it may be because I am so familiar with Elizabeth's story that I felt that way however the story read really well and I liked her take on the relationship between Dudley and Elizabeth.
on 11 July 2014
Not really that different to other books on the same subject, although the miscarriage story was interesting. I can't somehow believe it's true, but who knows? Interesting psychological slant on why Elizabeth became so afraid of marriage and sex in particular. Robert Dudley comes out of it better than usual, which is again a different view to others. I pity both his wives, though, if he really was that in love with Elizabeth. Very well written.
on 20 July 2014
An interesting insight into the lasting relationship of Elizabeth and Robert Dudley. Not a great deal about Burghley and Walsingham who, I believe, played a very significant role in the life of the Queen. No mention of Bess of Hardwick, another big player. Others such a Raleigh and Essex had few mentions.

Worth a read but not much that was not found in many other books on the subject of QE.
David Norman
on 6 August 2014
I was really looking forward to this book. I lost interest not even a third of the way though.Not as good as the other Alison Weir fiction books.
on 11 October 2015
Well written as usual by Alison Weir and is a great tudor book. However for my personal taste, I found the "game" and Elizabeth quite frustrating as it was just the same topic over and over again, pretending to consider marriage etc. No fault on the author as this is only a fictional portrayal of true events, but I found it irritating and probably would not read again