Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 June 2014
And so to album number 4 which, bearing in mind the quality of the previous 3 albums, is decidedly, almost, average whiffing a little of just getting an album out there before people begin to forget White Trash Millionaire etc!
It's well recorded but there's just nothing to stand out and smack you between the eyeballs - and before you all clatter me with the "you haven't listened to it mate" - it's been on in the car constantly for a week now and there is just nothing that makes me want to hit the repeat button to hear a hook, a guitar break or (heaven forbid) an anthem! Even the quieter numbers just do not generate warmth or anything inviting. Maybe it really is a case of me just expecting too much from these Kentucky rockers but really, when they have promised so much in their previous releases, to come up with nothing fresh is more than just a little disappointing, it's downright criminal.
Fortunately, by holding back on purchase, I have procured this album for a lot less than it started out at, but nonetheless, I am still several pounds poorer and no music richer..... !
Punters - you have been warned
on 8 August 2017
Great album
on 24 March 2017
A great album. A must for any Black Stone Cherry fan. Great to listen to whilst driving!
on 28 March 2017
Great product, price and delivery. Excellent service all round A+++++
on 14 June 2016
Great band, fantastic live
on 16 July 2014
Great album, up to their usual standards.
on 11 May 2014
Finally, BSC's fourth has arrived and I was praying it was going to be better than the slightly disappointing 'Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea' - even though it contained some gems. Magic Mountain is twice as good as the third album; I was completely blown away by the monstrous first single 'Me And Mary Jane' which is definitely a contender for the best BSC song ever. Its catchy tune, great riffs, amazing vocals and mad drumming make it one of the best on the new album.

Best Tracks:

'Holding On...To Letting Go' - A great opener to the album. This song uses the Black Sabbath technique of swung quavers in a heavy rock song which is very effective and the screeching guitar solo is awesome.

'Peace Pipe' - Pure gold and an addictive chorus that you can't get out your head. The brilliant guitar work continues throughout the whole song with a strong bass line and, as in every track, the drumming will amaze you.

'Me And Mary Jane' - Genius

'Blow My mind' - This song contains the best riffs BSC has ever come up with along with a rocking verse and chorus.

'Sometimes' - The second and last ballad on the album and what a cracker! An outstanding vocal performance alongside pleasant acoustic guitar and passionate lyrics really gives this song some emotion.

'Dance Girl' - It has everything: a funky intro, electric sound effects and a classic duel guitar solo.

'Hollywood In Kentucky' - Just wow. This is exactly how Hollywood would be in Kentucky! It has a surpising yet tremendous ending that you have to listen to.

'Remember Me' - The longest track the Kentucky rockers have done; just over 6 minutes. It opens with a creepy electronic sound that pops up again in various points in the song. Unbeliable drumming and a killer guitar solo.

All of the other songs are still incredible apart from 'Never Surrender' which is too bonkers for me and Chris Robertson screams most of it.

Overall, 'Magic Mountain' is the finest BSC album for a while with consistantly quality tracks and beastly riffs and solos that Tony Iommi would be proud of! Also, you can't really hear the bass in previous albums, however here, John Lawhon is throbbing away like Geezer Butler. John Fred Young, what can I say, the best rock drummer around. Chris Robertson's growly rock n' roll voice is still going strong and the guitar playing from him and Ben Wells is excellent especially when both of them do a duel guitar solo. I would reccommend 'Magic Mountain' to any fan of rock and you won't be disappointed, add to basket now!! :)
on 28 August 2014
As a Black Stone Cherry fan I just don't have the heart to give them less than 3 stars.

That might not make sense and I agree it is a strange thing to say, let me explain. I have been a big BSC fan since I took a chance on their first album. I couldn't wait for their second album Folklore and superstition and it didn't disappoint. It is my favourite album by them and one of my favourites in my collection. The 'difficult' third album then, or maybe not so difficult for BSC. Another great album although maybe straying from the raw southern rock feel that they had originally....

Now to Magic Mountain. I'm afraid I just can't get into it. I wanted to like it but it just doesn't work for me. I'm not sure why, they seem to have lost their original sound in this album and the songs seem a bit disjointed to me.
on 11 June 2017
ok
I'm fairly new to the BSC world but this is great,a quite superb album,all the usual references are there that people have mentioned thru the reviews of their various releases,Sabbath/Zeppelin power and riffs,a touch of Southern rock and if i may,to my ears,i hear little nods to Masters of Reality circa the 'Blue Garden' disc.

There isnt really any weak moments here,most of the tracks have a groove of their own but combine catchy sing along choruses,such as 'Holding on to letting go' and 'Bad luck to hard love' while the excellent 'Peace Pipe' has a refrain with a commercial sheen that still rocks , the sort of level Bon Jovi could have reached had he got some dirt under his finger nails.

The rest stunning classic rock with the likes of single 'Me and Mary Jane' and 'Hollywood in Kentucky' holding the candle for Southern rock. Best track,a close call but the Title track gets me every time..

A 5 star release,easily,if this doesnt take them to the top,nothing will