on 14 April 2017
great story, good plot, folding space, instant space travel, good guys bad guys, very fast paced would recommend to any military sci fi fans,
on 7 February 2015
Excellent read! Cant wait for the next one....
on 25 September 2015
Great storyline and well written. It is more a saga than the normal character based stories. There a lot of characters involved in this one and you don't get too deeply involved in any of them. The unravelling tale of a developing defence force is brilliant. There are few plot holes and is real page turner. Finished this book and started book 2 immediately after.
on 31 August 2015
This is an excellent debut novel from PP Corcoran. The author creates an imaginative and engrossing universe populated by a number of fascinating alien civilisations. The reader shares the experience of the protagonists as the story develops. I was gripped by plot, reading page after page as the multiple POV characters sought to solve the mysteries of the ancient 'Saiph', and as the newly formed galactic alliance faces the dangerous threat posed by the nefarious 'Others'. The detailed descriptions of technology and weaponry should surely satisfy even the most hard-core fan of military SciFi. I look forward to reading the next novel in the series.
on 16 October 2015
A near-future Earth is under threat by xenocidal aliens. We need allies and advances in military technology. Most of all, we need heroes, and not just those on the battlefield. PP Corcoran delivers all that and more in this pitch-perfect drama. It's very readable. Don't expect to be able to put this down easily once you've started reading.
on 27 April 2014
This book is a great start to what looks like a promising career as a SciFi novelist. The characters and story line draw you in easily and leave you wanting more. Wasn't really sure I would like this genre but the writing style appeals to novices as well as die hard SciFi fans. Looking forward to the next book by PP Corcoran
on 29 May 2015
I think this is a lot more intelligent that the cover would suggest, i.e. it looks like it might be another mindless military gungho alien shoot em up. It has more depth than that, the characters grow steadily stronger over the course and I like the fact that some are expendable. Aliens, yeah what do they look like? Hmmm I know this is very difficult so I am not knocking the Author. This is the only problem I have with it, as there are more than one race and there needs to be a distinction between them, the author has to come up with something credible but your imagination might get stretched a little. There are some events that are truly monumental and surprisingly are skimmed over, hang on I am complaining again. Forget that, the book is great military scifi without being predictable, a very good plot, solid characters that are developing and an easy read. I shall be getting the next book, which says it all really. Good job.
on 24 June 2016
Pros:
* competently written
* fast paced and interesting
* Likeable characters

Cons:
suspension of dis-belief failures:-
* why do LASERS sometimes only travel at NEARLY the speed of light?
* I like the idea that a common threat causes a lot of humans to work together for survival and the common good; but I stumble over the idea that there is only ONE corrupt self-serving politician.
* when a good-guys spaceship detects the arrival of an enemy 5 light-hours distant it quickly hides behind the nearby planet. BUT the enemy spaceship physically arrived 5 hours ago; so it will already have been able to see light arriving from the goodies ship for 5 hours before the goodies even begin to move. (why this bothered me, when I could accept nearly instantaneous FTL, I can't explain)
on 14 February 2015
For the first book in a series this was quite fast paced, lots of potential to turn into a great series. I am looking forward to the next one. Anyone who likes books by John rings will enjoy this.
on 24 August 2015
Have only partially read this book so far. What I have read so far I have generally liked and it fits my preferred genera of science fiction. However I would like to point out to whoever did the proof editing that they have left what is obviously corrections next to crossed out text and that maybe the wrong copy has been published. The book may rate a better rating by the time I have finished but the blaring mistake of what is obviously a proof copy is at the moment detracting from the reading to the point where I decided to post this early review of a book I have not finished.