on 1 June 2015
I did a lot of research before I bought this camera which was a replacement for an Ixus which was stolen. I wanted a simple, no fuss camera with a powerful zoom so I could catch wildlife mainly as well as panoramic pictures. The zoom is very important to capture those subjects you can't get close to without frightening them off. I also wanted a camera that wasn't too bulky or heavy because I tend to carry it with me wherever I go. I have used this camera for a few months now in different situations and although I haven't begun to explore its many functions, I am absolutely delighted with the quality of pictures I'm getting. The clarity of pictures on full 30 x optical zoom are fantastic and show amazing detail of birds, butterflies, etc. Similarly I've been impressed with the great picture quality in poor lighting, outside and without flash.
5 people found this helpful
on 5 June 2015
I have reviewed this camera previously but now is the time for a replacement only because I have taken in excess of 65k pics with it & am fearful it might just stop working in mid holiday 2 week cruise in the Caribbean. No internet search has brought up any clues as to how long it will keep going. So after carefully trawling thru endless reviews by many expert photographers I was looking to replace it with something better. They couldn't give me a clear winner...so I now have a second one. It does the job, it is not a counterfeit sold cheaper than last year or two, it lives in my pocket & does what the SX710 HS promised to do but failed miserably. As big a company as Canon is.... what were you thinking? If my decision was not the correct one why is the 710 ‘upgrade’ version on sale @ Amazon cheaper than the original 700? I rest my case m’lud. I so wanted something ‘better’ to service my craving for consistency, reliability, availability and Quality…. I paid extra to get it.
3 people found this helpful
on 13 November 2015
I'm not a photographer by profession or hobby but I like taking pictures occasionally. I previously owned a canon 600D, but it was too bulky to carry everywhere so I decided to invest in a portable digital camera. I've owned this camera for about a year now and it is a very good camera

Pros - 1. You really don't need to do much - If you aren't a photography junkie like me you can use the auto feature and successfully deceive all your friends into thinking you know what you're doing with your camera. This can also be great for a spur of the moment picture.
2. The zoom - The zoom on this camera is unbelievable! I could capture things that are very far away with complete clarity.
3. The flash- I used to shy away from flash on my 600D because it tended to wash out pictures but the flash on this camera is not very harsh and it makes some pictures look better.
4. Suggests when to use flash- The camera tells you when it's appropriate to use flash which has come in handy sometimes.
5. Lots of features- Theres many more interchangeable functions on the camera that I didn't have on my previous camera so it has been fun to play around with. Theres also a nice face tracker feature which can help you focus on one person in a crowd.

I barely have any cons with this camera except!

Cons:- 1. Pictures tend to look grainy sometimes.

I also put up some pictures I've taken with the camera so you can have an idea of how it performs!
review imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on 1 December 2014
Sorry Canon, this is not one of your best. Fantastic zoom, nice handy size, but terrible picture quality. Ok I have some top of the range cameras to compare this with, but I have had much better ixus cameras that are 10 years old. I can only put it down to the massive zoom you have achieved, but I never use the really extended zoom anyway as it is all too shakey.

So if you want nice snaps then this will do it Ok, but if you might ever want a decent photo I think you need to look at Sony...
4 people found this helpful
on 12 July 2015
A well-made decent enough camera. Yes the image quality on 16MP at 4:3 aspect ratio is not as good as other cameras on the market but it does the job. I jumped from a Powershot A610 to this and there really is not that much of a significant difference despite the camera being released 10 years ago. One thing I love though is the quality of 1080p films @ 60fps that you can shoot with this camera. Settings, and functions are all very flexible and customisable. Memory card access speed and operation times are fantastic. Battery life seems okay, be prepared to charge it up fully before you head out if you are spending a whole day of shooting.

The traditional pop-up flash is hilarious, people question why it is was designed like that... honestly? I think it's there for novelty.
I am very pleased with the camera I have to say. It loses a star because the Canon packaging wasn't sealed despite being new and could of easily of been tampered with. Another thing is that the display isn't ground-breaking, I've seen much better quality displays.This one also seems to scratch easily so be careful, also be careful when holding the camera. Also should point out, the traditional view-finder is now gone.

Summary:
Decent camera, does the job. High price compared to the newer model, that seems to exceed it.
on 29 August 2014
(Updated after 2 years of usage)

I bought this camera before a trip to Isle of Skye. Since then I have used it on city trips (Italy) and two exotic trips (Ascension Island and Costa Rica). It's great for it's intended usage: a small light camera with large zoom which can be taken anywhere to take photos of things close and far away, both immobile and moving (for fast moving objects like small insect-eating birds it's often better to shoot a video than to try to snap a photo in the short time the subject is at rest). The image quality is OK even at max. optical zoom (avoid the "digital" zoom though), the image stabilisation clearly works and I got good sharp hand-held photos of animals at 30x zoom. Actually, having such large zoom makes it easier to get autofocus to focus on the photo subject (e.g. a bird), not on the leaves some distance closer to you.

Of course it's not a DSLR. The autofocus is much slower than one would like in many situations, you can't select what you want to focus on as easily. The noise is higher. But as they say, a small compact camera that you have at hand when you see an agouti or coati crossing your path is better than the heavy expensive DSLR that you left in the hotel room!
One person found this helpful
on 6 May 2016
I have been looking for a direct replacement for my aged Panasonic TZ3 for a while and decided to go for this having heard good reports about it. Obviously the images are nowhere near the quality that a CSC, DSLR or even a Premium Compact can produce but with a 30x lens sacrifices have to be made. Although some photos can have a bit of a waxy or plasticy look about them it can also produce wonderful sharp images as well.

LIKES - Metallic robust body
That 30x zoom lens
Compact size handy for carrying around at all times
Handgrip on front of body

DISLIKES - Those waxy looking photos it sometimes produces
on 23 July 2014
Extremely good camera. The flash on the first one supplied was not working and so I returned it on Saturday free via the collect + service. I was amazed when a new camera arrived on the Monday - well done Amazon - very customer focussed.
I should add that the new camera works perfectly.
5 people found this helpful
on 14 March 2015
It states that it has wifi connectivity but have not been able to get it to work on Windows 7 Home version sp3. Seems that you must have higher than the Windows Basic or Windows Home to use the wifi. Have resorted to the old trusted method of taking out the memory card and plugging into reader.
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
3 people found this helpful
on 17 June 2015
What a brilliant little camera, I am not a photographer but wanted a decent point and shoot camera, I had previously had a bridge camera. This is already allowing me to take fantastic pictures and I have the option of take partial or full control of features or allowing the audio to do is work. I am definitely takes better pictures with this. The slow mo video is a great feature to. I would warm about its replacement though. The sx700 is now out but after reading is reviews and the comparisons I opted for the sx700, as it came out a little better. Well wien the money and will last me years I don't doubt.
One person found this helpful