VINE VOICEon 7 January 2015
This is my favourite album of 2014, narrowly beating out The Foo Fighters' 'Sonic Highways'. Every album Annie makes is better than the last and the influence of David Byrne (with whom she made an album a couple of years ago) is clear in the inventively jagged rhythms and he artfully skewed guitar riffs. But what makes the album work and also makes it infinitely re-listenable is the fact that she is making music her own way, unafraid to be arty and pretentious. "Digital Witness" and "Prince Johnny" are, for me, the highlights, but make no mistake, this is the album of a major artists at the top of her game.
One person found this helpful
on 8 July 2014
I bought this a little while back, and I've waited until I've played it a few times before trying to review it. As others have mentioned, at times you can hear a David Byrne/ Talking Heads influence - nothing wrong with that. More surprisingly, there are also pieces that reminded me of Annie Lennox and Eurythmics (nothing wrong with that, either), so there's a slight 80s feel about the album which I wasn't expecting. Altogether, it's a good listen, particularly Prince Johnny and Digital Witness, but I thought the album would have been better if a few of the tracks had been pruned - Psychopath and Severed Crossed Fingers for example. I know you can skip tracks you don't like, but I like to listen to an album as a complete entity, and sometimes less is more (pardon the cliche). Whilst I'm whingeing, there didn't seem to be much of her much vaunted guitar work. But overall, a good little album, with some brilliant lyrics.
on 26 June 2014
I'm new to St Vincent, only knowing what I hear on 6music and have picked up on YouTube. But I wanted this album on the basis of Digital Witness, ands then I heard Prince Johnny and was totally blown away. This album does not disappoint - the rest of it is just as hypnotic, pulsating, ethereal-yet-dirrrty as her singles. Annie manages to inject a funk to her music that underlines the more sparse, art student vibe. I know she collaborated with David Byrne in the past, and at times I can detect a Talking Heads style in the rhythm and guitar riffs. Gets better with every listen.
3 people found this helpful
on 24 May 2015
Prince Johnny and I Prefer Your Love are dreary and awful but I don't even mind as every other track is incredible. I pre-ordered this and I still love every song - apart from the rubbish two. I could listen to the rest on repeat and I often do

I don't think there are songs on her other albums that I actively dislike in the same way but I'd still call this her best album overall despite them. That's how good the good songs are
on 12 March 2016
This is St Vincent's fourth studio album released in 2014. With a mixture of Electro pop and indie rock there is a good range of songs on this album. The sound is not mainstream however it will likely appeal to those who do not like the usual top 40 repetitive disco sounds. Definitely a unique sound.
on 3 February 2018
Good enough to get! Fair price... lots of "Bowie" into this..its easy hear he was her idol and by that inspiration on this.
on 23 November 2017
Terrific
One person found this helpful
on 13 May 2015
So, normally I hear a song and if I like it and don't know the artist, then I look them up. I've NEVER bought an album based purely on reviews without having heard them. Until this. I kept seeing the album on the "Best of the year" lists, so popped onto youtube and became very intrigued. It's a superb album. Catchy yet really quirky, with some of the most evocative images created through the sounds and lyrics. No idea if it was the best of the year, I haven't heard enough albums released to make such a statement, but it's been the best album I personally bought, ands it's been on constant rotation in the months since I first got it.
on 4 February 2017
Its got some decent tracks on it and it is an artist album. Had some really good reviews when it came out, worth adding to the collection.
on 6 July 2014
It's a bit hit and miss. She is a good vocalist - reminds me of Lene Lovich - but sometimes the musical background is empty.. ok, perhaps its meant to sound minimalist. Digital witness is great.