• Cold

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 17 August 2003
I am a pushover for a well written lesbian romance..and this story not only "tugged at my broken heart strings" reminded me that LOVE can be patient and at the same time very SEXY!! I had a difficult time putting this book down once I started reading.There were several times I cried while I was reading it. I felt like I could really feel what the characters were feeling. In fact, .
Keep up the good work Alison Carpenter
Hope to see more from you Very Soon
on 21 February 2003
'Cold' is one of those rare finds in lesbian fiction, a novel with smart dialogue, enough heart to make you truly care about the characters, AND a solid, interesting plot.
Jo is content to enjoy her family's wealth, frequent trysts, and her rather meaningless existence. Until she meets Rocky, that is, a young woman who chose a life of poverty and danger on the harsh streets of London in an attempt to outrun her painful past. When these two very different lives collide, each woman is changed forever.
The story draws the reader in early and keeps your interest throughout. In short, you'll be tempted to try and read through this tale in one sitting, just so you don't have to put it down. The relationship that erupts between the leads is fragile and romantic and eventually becomes the backbone of this wonderful debut novel. Even pacing and a deft handling of the sometimes gritty subject matter give the story solid legs.
Don't miss this one. It's well worth the purchase.
on 6 March 2005
A beautiful story that I read in one sitting. A definite recommendation of a touching tale that will leave you feeling warm. It will re-affirm your faith in love, should you need it.
With no expectations it certainly pleasantly surprised me. I would love to read more from the author.
on 29 June 2014
When Joanna Holbrook-Sutherland, (Jo) sees a photograph of a homeless woman in her mother's London gallery, she has no idea how much her life is about to change, forever. There is something about the photograph that is drawing Jo to find the woman who she's been seeing in her dreams.

Jo is a playgirl. She has lots of women she doesn't care about and lots of casual sex too. So, when Jo sets out with determination to find the nameless woman, her friends and family are shocked by her single-mindedness.

Piece by piece, Jo puts together the snippets of information she has and finds herself in Whitechapel and at last in front of Rocky.

Twenty year old Rocky has been living rough on the streets of London, barely surviving for the past five years. She is laden down with deep, dark haunting secrets. Jo knows the road ahead will be hard, but is determined to save Rocky from the past which is haunting her and her bleak, dangerous life on the streets. She has to find a way to get Rocky to open up and to trust her.

Jo engulfs Rocky in a secure blanket filled with all the love she has to give. But will Jo's love be enough?

I first read this story online years ago and have read it several times since. I loved it then, just as much as I love it now. This is a story that gripped me from the first page right through to it's climatic ending. I was so pleased to see this re-published as I feel this is one story that new readers to lesfic deserve to have the pleasure of reading.

This is an unusual story, one which many may say, `right, like that would ever happen'. Well, it may or may not happen, who knows? It's not beyond the realms of possibility. But, this is fiction after all and a story that has been thoughtfully crafted and is for me a must re-read every couple of years.

These characters are well written, fully developed and multi-faceted. There is a good cast of secondary characters to enhance and progress the story along. The plot was very well thought out and put together with lots of twists and turns throughout. There were a few typos, but nothing that pulled me out of the story. It's a page turner right the way through. It is in my re-read folder for it's usual annual read.
on 11 November 2014
Completely different, this book takes you on a heart warming journey. The characters in this book are brilliant and vivid, I really felt like I was a part of the story watching all the events unfold. I found it very hard to put the book down. This is definitely worth purchasing, I suggest hiding away for a few days to dedicate yourself to this, because once you have read the first few lines, I promise you will be hooked. Well done Alison Carpenter, I loved it!
on 14 September 2014
Just seemed so rushed, there was no time for anticipation or for the reader to join in the thinking of the story. I liked the idea of the story but the character development was lacking and left me feeling unconvinced. I didn't feel like i knew or even cared that much about them. Disappointed as this could have been so good, if not so rushed.
on 19 April 2014
This was story of grief,anger,fear,sexual abuse,vagrants,money,hope,love,peace and two old souls reuniting, So much and how Alison Carpenter put it together was excellent.
What a great read definitely recommend you give it a try.
Why 4+ stars instead of 5+ due to the odd mistakes here and there. This doesn't ruin a great story and definitely say give it a chance.
on 26 May 2014
Enjoyable fast paced narrative with well shaped characters. Am left with some impressions that almost have the intensity of memories which is always a sign of a powerful read.
on 9 April 2014
This was an amazing story. The characters were really well written and I found myself totally immersed in the story line and plot. I am usually quite a slow reader picking up books for the odd half hour read. This book was so exciting I finished it in 2 days. Definitely worth a read.
on 4 April 2014
I thoroughly enjoyed this book; I liked the character development and went from despising to loving one of the leads and read it none stop - which is why I've hit the sack early as I'm short on sleep from last night - your fault Alison.
Thanks for the story, loved it x