on 13 April 2005
This book made me cry. The idea of sending my own children away to strangers for years is so dreadful that I could hardly read on but though this is a well-researched history book it is written like a thriller (actually the author also writes thrillers) and I couldn't put it down. I though it was brilliant but tragic, and well worth recommending very highly.
on 18 March 2005
Here is a tragic, tear jerking fascinating account of pitiful parents and children who were turned by fate and dreadful times into artificial orphans, with whom in spirit one travels on their journeys and comes to understand how differently people thought in those war years, and what a dreadful legacy they left behind. This book is almost too fair and balanced, but also fully researched and beautifully written, showing a forgotten detail of wartime history. the surviving evacuees and younger generations reading about them are lucky to have such a sensitive, unforgettable memorial.
on 7 June 2014
The reason for reading the book was because both my father and uncle were evacuated to Canada during WWII. They both wrote their own accounts of what happened to them (for family to read), how they felt about the evacuation and their reintroduction to England. Their accounts made me want to find out how it affected others. I feel they were extremely lucky as their mother (my grandmother) was evacuated with them. We even have some cine footage of one of their holidays by a lake while living in Canada. Although my grandmother found it tough, their experience was relatively good.

I found the book quite depressing but it was a very interesting and easy read.
on 10 April 2015
Really easy read of the childhood evacuation to Canada, very useful in my research.