on 6 June 2014
I couldn't get on with this author's style. Descriptions and explainations seemed to be inserted throughout the story to make the events make sense as oppose to initially building the characters and atmosphere. Could of been a good story but I gave up after the first 2 chapters.
on 22 September 2014
After reading the glowing reviews on here I was possibly expecting a little too much. I find the stories too biased towards gratuitous violence and the main character's thought processes seemed to solely revolve around unfulfilled sexual frustrations whenever she wasn't beating someone to a pulp. Then again, this is probably aimed at teenagers and both ingredients are therefore correctly measured - I'm just too old for that (though I have greatly enjoyed other "young adult books" recently). High literature this is not - and yet I have actually finished reading it. Probably the greasy-pie-effect: not very refined, not all that good for you, but you can't throw it away half-finished either...
on 26 August 2014
I kind of agree with the 1 star and the 4 star reviews… it’s a very good story, great characters, really flows well. You want to know what happens next – it kind of reminds me of the new X-men movies! However, the writing is AWFUL. I’m not sure if the writer is a teenager or just thinks all teenagers are self-riteous, snarky, moody, selfish, ‘witty’ (read: nasty). That’s probably the best way to describe the main character. The others, even the adults often sound like sulky teenagers trying to get one up on each other too so I’m inclined to think the author believes this is a normal way to communicate.

Anyway, worth a read for free, 100% not buying the next 7 books at £2.99 a pop. Or for any money other than maybe 1p.
on 29 November 2014
What a surprise - I had no idea what these books were about and bought them blind. To my delight, they were gripping!! It sounds a bit lame, a girl with super powers being chased by baddies and more or less forced to join a secret organisation but....a truly engaging and really interesting read! I'm not going to say any more - I don't normally go for this kind of book but I am definitely going to read more because I am hooked - well done Mr Crane!
on 15 May 2014
I thought the premise of the book was interesting but five or six chapters in I realised it was poorly written rubbish. I think probably aimed at a teenage audience, though you can't tell that from the blurb, but even so - I doubt my sons would have bothered with it either. Still, at least it was free!
on 28 April 2015
Boring, fantastical rubbish. I tried continuing reading after the first chapter of the first book to give the story a chance but quickly gave up. If I had bought the actual books instead of the Kindle edition I would have binned them and not even passed them on to any charity which I usually do with books I have finished with.
on 30 March 2014
I read the first in this trilogy months ago and thought it a bit weird but ok. When this trilogy was released I re-read the first to familiarize myself with the story. Still a bit weird but not a bad read once you get into it
on 1 June 2015
Without going into a long narative about The Girl in the Box.. its just a word of make believe. I did read Book one and I can not imagine how ant one can can imagine that this story line is a series..A world of pure make believe . OK if you like this sort of thing ???
VINE VOICEon 10 November 2014
A close friend of mine recently pointed me in the direction of the first three books of the series. She commented `Totally had me captured from the very beginning; enjoyed them so much I've just ordered the final seven in the series.'

I downloaded them onto my Kindle (they're free) and, as I worked my way through them, I found myself wondering whether Robert J Crane was writing something that, he hoped, might be turned into a sequel of either the `X-Men', `Doctor Who' or `Agents of SHIELD' series.

There's one or two interesting ideas in the books but, to me, many of the fantasy elements are heavily overdone. I've no problem with the main character ending up with a nasty character sitting in the corner of her mind and muttering unhelpful suggestions and unpleasant imprecations - it's been done before (Robert Jordan and the 14-volume The Wheel of Time series). But another character with the ability to fly, burst into flames and, when he gets really cross, incinerate entire city blocks - together with large venomous snakes that appear from between someone's shoulder blades plus a good guy who's destined to put the Fire Brigade out of business - stretched my credulity beyond a fairly elastic breaking point.

OK, it would be interesting to find out whether Andromeda - she appears naked at the end of book 3 - is any relation to the Andromeda of Greek mythology, the beautiful daughter of Queen Cassiopeia who, having been chained (also naked) to a rock by the annoyed God Poseidon, is left to the mercy of the monster Cetus. Fortunately she's rescued, just in time, by Perseus - who's just returned from having slain the multi-headed Medusa.

And, since Medusa had venomous snakes instead of hair, there's a clear similarity to one of Mr Crane's more unpleasant characters...

It's an interesting thought - but, sorry, not enough to persuade me to download the remaining books in the series.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 2 August 2014
Sorry, but I personally found the writing style quite frustrating. Almost like a conversation with the reader. Perhaps I'm too old school, but I don't need points to be reiterated to me in a "do you remember what I said?" style. Ultimately, I never finished it, so I'll leave it up to you on whether you value my opinion, but I would say this would appeal to a much younger audience (say 11-16). Maybe that was the target audience, here and I never spotted it in the sub-text.

But it doesn't cost a penny, so heck, you can hardly feel hard done by. Just not my kind of book.