on 25 April 2015
This is a brief review of the 42" (had the 50" version, which was great but was too big, so it had to go back). Overall this TV is OK, the look of it is fantastic with the thin bezel and clean lines, and the price of £439 is great.

However, there does seem to be an issue with the most important thing - the picture. From having the TV for a while, I have really started to notice how "jerky" the picture is when showing fast moving panning scenes on both standard and high Def transmissions and blu rays.

I have followed advice on setting the picture up and made adjustments to suit but the most important DSP addition for smoothing out the motion, the LED motion Control, is virtually unusable as it greatly reduces the brightness of the screen, making images much too dark to view satisfactorily.

Don't get me wrong - general picture quality is very sharp with HD content and the depth of field is good, with great colour when tweaked properly. It's just that the jerkiness is quite annoying.

If anyone can think of anything in the setup that I'm doing wrong, please add your solutions that smooth out the panning as I really don't want to have to send this one back.

So, in summary a good TV with nice sharp pictures but with just a little fly in the ointment when it comes to smooth motion.
on 16 December 2014
I bought the 42" - this TV is practically in its own class for this size.

+PROS+
Deep Blacks
Amazing image quality, better than all it's rivals at this price range
Thin Metal bezel, beautiful, feels well made
Works flawlessy with my Synology NAS, with Media Server or Plex
Netflix, Amazon Prime Video and BBC iPlayer all very well integrated
Software is smooth and quicker than comparable Samsung
Free Wall Mount (Stand doubles as a wall mount)
Free Soundbar + Subwoofer in my deal
Record TV shows straight to USB
Pause Live TV

-CONS-
When recording live TV or pausing live TV you cannot change channel
The supplied wall bracket cannot be tilted
Not VESA standard wall mount, adapter requires

Conclusion
very pleased with the TV, the image quality really is fantastic.
on 4 November 2015
Great TV - apps work responsive - 3d is passive and works fine - plenty of connection options - only negative is the lack of a Vesa plate fitting which means you have to buy some rather expensive bolts.

Picture on 42" is excellent and built in sound is good for a fact seen.
on 14 May 2015
Purchased this as a deal with soundbar really can not fault Sony as a brand as it is amazing always purchased a Samsung because of deals but fancied a change and because it was on offer with the soundar. The different settings are a real help although had to spend a few minutes agjusting the factory settings to my preference. Excellent colors on screen gives watching programs that real lifeness has loads of features and plenty of apps to keep you entertained.
on 23 September 2014
I bought this TV after doing some research. Best for 2D images with average 3D was the overall opinion. I wasn't interested in the 3D side but I would say it looks better than average to me, but it depends on the film. Some still have that cardboard cut-out look which is not the fault of the tv. Avatar looked great and also Jet Li's Flying swords of Dragon Gate. The only 2 negatives I can add about this product is 1) when my mp3 player is inserted, or my laptop's hdmi, then' TV channels had a bit of interference and sometimes lost signal but only a minor gripe, and 2) Wasn't impressed with the 3D glasses, lenses fall off the frame now and again, which is irritating. Good TV, looks the business.
on 18 January 2015
This tv is fantastic, as a gamer I am Allstate looking a input lag when buying a tv and one is about 8ms tests i have read.picture quality is stunning. It's only problem is the smart tv bit is very slow, which does not bother me as I stream content from another device.
on 18 May 2014
I previously had a Sony plasma TV for many years. It had a fantastic picture and was hesitant whether to go for a Smart Led or stay with plasma again. Unfortunately Sony no longer make plasmas so I spent a couple of months researching all 42" Led TV's out there and despite some reservations I finally decided on this Sony latest 8 series based it's lovely sleek design and picture quality.
Originally £749, It was reduced to £699. However am glad I hesitated initially as Sony currently has a limited promotional offer on this model now to include a good free sound bar worth £100, all for an amazing £599!!
This seemed a bargain deal so took the plunge and I must say how pleased I am with this TV. Just look at the specifications.
It has truly superb picture quality with adjustable modes to suit your viewing preferences, great sound quality sor a slim TV which is improved with the free sound bar and sub woofer. You won't be disappointed...buy it!!.
Sony have certainly upped their game with this model which is comparable with much higher priced opposition. If you can find this deal buy it, you will not be disappointed. Highly recommended
on 3 April 2014
I was beating myself up over getting the 42" of this TV or the supposedly 'better' 50" model.

I had read lots of comments over on AV Forums regarding the differences between the 42" model and the 50" model even though both share the same model number.
400hhz/800hhz.... motionflow vs led motionflow... ?

I can tell you now that this TV has delivered on many counts. No problems with the above regarding stutter, picture absolutely lovely to my eyes.
Plays all video formats from an external HDD plus the video output from my XBox One, PS4 look divine :-)

Stand is really solid, build quality excellent.

Got this for £706 plus postage from Amazon but prices seem to fluctuate daily?

Bottom line, if you haven't got room for the 50" model, then get this - you won't be disappointed.
66 comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 July 2014
Tv review

Just received the 42 inch version. Set it up last night.. A few initial impressions.. Starting with the negative:

1. In case it's not clear this TV has a single tuner. Which means if your planning on using the built in free view and the PVR (record tv to USB stick function)...You cannot change channels while recording!...***UPDATE* I logged a ticket with Sony support who confirmed today 29/07/14 that the firmware upgrade PKG 2.193EUA only upgrades single to dual tuners on 4k TV's???? THERE IS NO DUAL TUNER OR PLANS TO SUPPORT THIS FUNCTION FOR THIS TV*****

2. The USB stick you use to record your tv shows will be reformatted so it's only readable by the TV..So you won't be able to transfer the files to another device.

3. I installed Servio on PC as I was too lazy to configure DLNA and the Bravia would not recognise the folders in the directory unless I removed any non alpha/numeric characters. Same for the 2nd fat32 formatted USB stick I had to use after the Tv reformatted the first one I used for PVR..So keep that in mind!

Ok so the positives!

1. Picture and sound quality ( with the free sound bar ) are fantastic for the price! Really very happy! Good build quality and set up was a breeze.

2. Tv's smart UI is fluid and you've got a decent selection of apps.. I assume the missing 4od and itv catchup will appear after Samsung's exclusive deal expires in August. iPlayer works flawlessly in HD. Netflix has a dedicated remote button.. So if your into House of Cards ,Orange is the new Black and Hemlock Grove.. Winning!.. :) It's all about content.. I would like to see a 'Now Tv' app added so I can go legit for Game of Thrones, Walking Dead , Madmen and Penny dreadful.

3. Passive 3D was great!.. We tried Avatar as it came out top in an Empire poll for passive 3d flicks to try.. Lots of fun. Glasses are a lot more comfortable than you get at the cinema...Kids and the young at heart will get a lot out of it!

I'm going to try wall mounting it at the end of the month,so I'll update this after to advise how straight forward that is with the included wall bracket!
99 comments| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 August 2014
This is our second choice TV after the Samsung UE40H6700. The Samsung TV is preferable in several ways (we do like the Smart Hub feature) but we could not live with the dreadful lip sync issues, apparent even with a replacement unit and much help from Samsung ( the speed of their support is very good).
In our view this Sony is a more attractive TV; the picture quality very acceptable, if not quite as good and the sound is marginally better although both really need external speakers of some sort. We have had no problems with set up, or start up and loading times.Web access is straightforward (look for the 'www' App) and the range of Apps is good. The built in WiFi is adequate but could be better. Our main issue is the difficulty in linking with our PC, a task which was very easy with the Samsung but we have yet to accomplish with the Sony (the speed of Sony support is very poor).
It's difficult to imagine that anyone would be disappointed with this TV, despite apparently not having all of the latest technology, and we are very satisfied with our purchase. Amazon has also given us excellent service.