Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.99

on 25 July 2014
Nowadays I think it's quite rare to have such a huge pop star how can actually play instruments and produce his own music. Pharrell played every instrument and was executive producer for his second solo studio album, and as always he delivers his brilliant brand of sophisticated and different pop. Though a lot of people would buy this album for the two massive singles 'Marilyn Monroe' and 'Happy' it is riddled with juicy pop tunes with an edge that reminds me of the N*E*R*D days. 'Marilyn Monroe' is one of the fav's on this album and it works brilliantly as the opener, combining sweet strings with a heavy and funky drum and bass back up. Then before 'Happy' kicks in on the fifth track there is 'The Hunter' the most N*E*R*D song on the album dripping with sexuality and achingly slow paced to enhance the seductive vocals. As the album progresses the production varies even more with songs like 'Lost Queen' with it's African tribal beats and a classically arranged R&B ballad 'Know Who You Are' featuring Alicia Keys. But the song that I feel is the most impressive, alongside 'Marilyn Monroe' is 'Gust Of Wind. It's trippy chorus ripe with auto-tune gives the atmosphere that the song needs and like 'Marilyn Monroe' it is laced with lovely strings.
Yes it is pop, yes it is the album with the most over played song on the radio but it is also Pharrell, one of the most inventive pop stars of the past 5 years. The pop music community always needs someone like this.

Essential Tracks:
Marilyn Monroe
Brand New
The Hunter
Happy
Gust Of Wing
on 5 March 2014
All songs are great, Cant be any happier!!! My favourite tracks are Happy, Gush and It Girl

Five out of Five.
on 5 March 2014
This album wasn't an instant success on the ears for me,the best albums in my collection weren't immediately great, but after a couple more listens it sounds better and better. I was also afraid that this album would be so commercially produced but its quite the opposite. The first few tracks are fairly reminiscent of his N.E.R.D. days and the use of a funky bass in the album is superb.

Hunter is a massive tune, from a very solid album.
on 5 March 2014
Great album, really enjoying it. If you're a Pharrell fan, you won't be disappointed. Favourite tracks at the moment are Gush, Hunter and It Girl. Don't think the album is as good as the 'In My Mind' album which is a MUST buy, but you won't be disappointed with this.

Not happy with Amazon for it's pricing however. I bought this on the 3rd March for £7.49 digital download. Within 24 hours of that it's been reduced to £4.99. I'll be buying my music elsewhere next time, given that Amazon haven't responded to my request of a refund for the difference in price. Shame.
66 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 March 2014
I've been a huge Pharrell-Neptunes-Nerd fan since the very first Nerd CD. I've had the pleasure of catching Nerd live twice and both times they ROCKED IT!!. Unlike his first solo project, GIRL took a few rotations to really grasp the quality of all of the tracks. I'm there now, the thing that I've always loved about Pharrell's music is that it is unique! He has hit again. And, oh-yeah, I've loved ''Happy'' from the first time I heard it. Now, I can play it to death.
on 3 March 2016
I am so disappointed in this album.
I was truly looking forward to hearing it after reading and hearing such great things about Pharrell. 'Happy' is obviously the standout track, but the others, I'm not impressed. At points I felt like I was unwittingly listening to Justin Timberlake not Pharrell Williams. The tracks are samey to listen to, and I got bored.
I was expecting something completely else from this album and it didn't deliver for me.
on 5 March 2014
Just when I thought Pharrells chart-domineering era was over, he goes and released this gem. Honestly, I thought 'Happy' was going to be the best song on the album and there wouldn't be a point releasing a full-length LP.

Every song here has the potential to be a hit single.. And at £8.99, it's a bargain really!
on 1 December 2015
I boght this album on a chance after hearing "Happy". The first track, "Marilyn Monroe", and ot course, "Happy" are great songs but, the rest of the music just goes on about Pharrells sex drive. It could have been an original album, he needed to try harder and stop thinking about his goolies.
on 20 June 2014
having heard 'Happy' on the airwaves for several weeks and on social media sites
I thought it's probably about time that I invested in some of Pharrells' output...
Being older than your average targeted group, I remember many of the musicians and their music
whom have influenced his creations. Sadly, his work, whilst entertaining and of it's time, are not a
patch on the originals.
I could name half a dozen without hesitation but, suggest listeners explore the late 60's early to mid 70's
soul and funk musicians to find out exactly where this emanated from.
'Happy' is the standout track and probably will be his signature tune for years to come, the others
are interesting 'unfinished' experiments.
on 10 March 2014
Enjoying GIRL, love Happy. Come Get It Bae reminds me of a Prince track, while Gust Of Wind does the same for me, re Jamiroquai...bare in mind, they're my very personal views only and I am no music expert! Think I'll be getting my Prince and Jamiroquai tracks out to have a blast from the past for a session or two. Played GIRL several times and liking all the tracks.