Customer reviews

The Cautionary Tales of Mark Oliver Everett
Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 April 2014
A stripped down Mark Everett sometimes just with a keyboard to supplement his vocals, and other times strings or a chamber orchestra. This is probably the most intense personal album that he has released, and I consider it simply beautiful!

The second bonus CD contains 6 studio tracks, all of which are far too good to be on a limited release, especially the amazing Lonesome Lockdown Hurricane. The 6 live tracks contain a great reworking of Fresh Feeling, with the final one being Peter Green's Oh Well. This last track is the only real rocking track on the two discs and follows the original quite closely, but the big surprise (for me) is how this track sits so well along side E's own compositions.

Packaging is similar to the last 3 two disc editions being a fold-out digipak with a booklet (containing the lyrics to the main album).

In summary I would say that this is Eels best album for a while, but please do invest in the double disc edition.
on 14 July 2014
another great album what else do you expect from the eels! Agatha is a beautiful track...
p.s loved the live show of this in oxford, on the other end of the spectrum from the rocky gig last year!
on 28 February 2015
Excellent service, exceptional CD.
on 10 July 2015
When Koool G Murder refers to this album as a “wonderful and life-enhancing experience” on the introduction to the bonus disc, you have to take it with a pinch of salt. The bonus disc itself is full of great, diverse tracks…

But for me, this album suffers from a serious lull around the dirgy, tuneless tracks Gentlemen’s Choice and Dead Reckoning, placed at a “make or break” point on the album. So it was only since stumbling across the gorgeous Lockdown Hurricane while on a general shuffle that I decided to give this one another go. I’m glad I did and have rediscovered some real keepers (Series of Misunderstandings, Kindred Spirit and Mistakes of My Youth) but this should be filed under “Not as Good as The Classic Eels Albums but Okay with Some Gems”. It’s also about context; listen to this on a sunny, late afternoon drive and it might just win you over!

New Eels fans: don’t bother, seek out Beautiful Freak, Electro-Shock Blues, Daisies of The Galaxy, Souljacker, Blinking Lights and Other Revelations or I Am The Messiah (MC Honky). Existing fans: stick with it - although having to let an album grow on you is always a bit of a shame.
on 13 July 2014
Loved this album and was luck to see it performed live, amazing, very emotive
on 6 October 2014
Not his best album.
on 22 July 2014
Some of his stuff is better than others - this one is 'better'
on 13 July 2014
Great new album! E back to his original sound- loving it!
on 4 January 2015
I can't stop listening to Eels music as I know I will always find, after 10 records, some gems buried among Eels standards. This album is good, but nothing really stands out for me. Just more of the same. I would be excited if it were my first Eels record, but it's not. Better than Hombre Lobo, End Times, and Tomorrow Morning, anyway.
Best tracks are Parallels, Lockdown Hurricane, Agatha Chang, and Mistakes of My Youth.
on 11 May 2014
This album is ok but as I suspected in the title it might be one of his more sadish albums, as E can be quite emotional about his past, dont get me wrong I think the guy is a genius, got nearly all his stuff, I dont think I will be going to see him tour this time round as its all seated arenas, when I saw him tour last year with Wonderful glorious he absolutely rocked at rock city Notts, best gig I had been to for years..