on 21 July 2017
on 18 May 2017
Typical Wishbone Ash with great twin guitars
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 April 2014
I usually find that albums that don't necessarily appeal to me greatly on the first couple of plays stand a better chance of growing on me and eventually stay with me as a great album that I'll never tire of listening to. I have found that this is one of those albums - and it's still growing on me. Stand-out tracks at present are 'Take It Back', 'Blue Horizon' and 'All There Is To Say' - with more to come, I'm sure. Perhaps there is more of a folk/country influence on this album than others by Wishbone Ash lately, but that suits me fine when combined with the classic rock, twin-guitars style that the band is renowned for.
I'm looking forward to the autumn UK tour to see which tracks have been chosen to play live. Whichever they are, they will sound better now that I am very familiar with the studio album. I must now get back to listening to the album again!
on 28 March 2014
After the disappointment of Elegant Stealth I wasn't in any rush to get Blue Horizon. I succumbed and was immediately impressed with the standard of the songs. Elegant Stealth wasn't a bad album, just uninspiring. This one is far superior and would get 5 stars if the guitars wailed a bit longer! Just like the Allmans, I prefer Ash live with their 15 minute pluse renditions, but as studio albums go, this is pretty damned good!
After several plays, it became obvious to me that Way Down South was the standout track. I would go as far as to say it's the best number Ash have written since their classic 70's albums. The guitar solo at the end is gorgeously sublime, and sends shivers down my back. ASH ARE BACK!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 May 2014
.. well thats how it felt,it took so long for the disc to reach me,was it worth the wait,definitely,its a great album,the first thing that catches the eye is the quite striking cover on the digi pak.

The music well unlike say Magnum's fist pumping rock on their recent release,this is more laid back,like an old pair of comfy slippers,an easy fit just sit back and let the music wash over you.

Having spent the last few albums stating that they are as far removed from ARGUS as you can get,then its with much irony that opening track 'Take It Back' immediately reminds me of that disc.

The likes of 'Deep Blues/Way Down South & Mary Jane,keep a smile on my face and my foot tapping,excellent stuff.

Favourite tracks - the title track's laid back class and the folky feel of album closer 'All there is to Say'.

There are some great individual performances on here,yes its laid back and the 'rock' days are long gone but its still worth purchasing for some genuine class music.
on 5 April 2014
For me, this is the best Wishbone CD in quite a few years. Elegant Stealth was good but Blue Horizon totally blows that away. For me there isn't a bad track on the album and I'm constantly impressed by the great musicianship displayed throughout. Favourite tracks are Take It Back, Deep Blues, Way Down South, Tally Ho and American Century. There's a great depth to the playing and each time I play this album I hear something new. My overall favourite track is way Down South - which has a very catchy first section and an amazing second section starting after 4 minutes. If I'm in the car, the sound level gets cranked right up for the second half of totally brilliant soaring guitar work and driving bass. Magnificent.
11 Comment| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 May 2014
This has to be the best ash album since there's the rub. It's all here! Great riffs, extended solos in several tracks some with twin guitars. Never the greatest vocals but not at all bad.

Elegant stealth was in and back out of the car within days but this is still there several weeks later. If you like wishbone ash you should like this. Looking forward to seeing them live and hope they play a few of these songs.
on 1 April 2014
So yet another album from W.A. For a fan of the band to give this very good album 1 star is bewildering to say the least. Can't really give it 5 stars as it isn't as good as Argus. However it is their best album for some time & a great guitar rock/folk/prog album. The tunes are better than Elegant Stealth & the opening track 'Take It Back' is a truly memorable song. If you like guitars & you aren't bothered about liking cool & trendy bands then this album is for you.
on 13 November 2014
This is one of WA's better albums (and I have them all), and best since the wonderful "Bona Fide" back in 2000. The "Deep Blues" track alone should be (I hope) an omnipresent fixture in their live set.
on 5 May 2014
This is a great disc. I was lucky enough heard them play some of the tracks in the making at the afternoon session of Ashcon 2013, they do not disappoint on disc either. Blue Horizon is a real stormer. I look forward to seeing and hearing them extend some of these live on stage later this year. Keep on rockin!