Customer reviews

Format: MP3 Download|Change

on 11 May 2015
Amazing
on 10 March 2011
I got this when it was available as a free download last year. Unfortunately it seems to have got deleted from my hard drive so I will be buying it now.

Why am I buying it?

Because it's quite brilliant, rather lovely, and one of the most capitivating albums I've listened to in recent years. Berry is a talented musician and songwriter, and while there seems to be a tongue-in-cheek quality to some of the lyrics (which channel progressive folk and psychdelic tropes of the 70s) the whole thing is played relatively (and commendably) straight.

I loved it, and am looking forward to owning it (again).
on 11 March 2012
Best known for his role as the lecherous and murderous boss in 'The IT Crowd' and the very under rated yet excellent 'Snuff Box', Matt Berry proves to be a most excellent composer of quite beuatifully crafted songs. Much more melodic and less tongue in cheek than his previous 'Opium' this is real gem. I think that 'Accident At The Harvest Festival' may prove to be one of my favourite songs of all time. Purrrr-chase and you will not be disssss-appppointed!
on 9 March 2011
Wow its finally here and its a beautiful, genius, gentle album. Soft soothing Acid sounds mixed with tender vocals and a whole range of instruments from the gentle to the blistering guitar solos of Andy Vickery, Dave Hamer & Jolyon Meredith. Beautiful Wind Intruments too. And the Distinguished mellow sounds of the voice of Matt Berry.

Inlay "This album was recorded between 2009 and 2010 on Jacobs Island, Shad Thames, London"

Matt Berry : Acoutstic Guitar, Electric Guitar, Ukulele, Bass Guitar, Piano, Electric Piano, Electric Organ, Pipe Organ, Accordion, Melotron, Arp Odyssey Synthesiser, Korg MS20, Synthesiser, Korg MS 2000b Synthesiser/Vocoder, Glockenspiel, Assorted Percussion and Dinner Bell.

Cecilia Fage : Vocal and harmony arrangements, Clarinet, Recorder and Owl Sounds

James Stapleton : Drums and Percussion

What more can I say I love this album, it has an otherworldy quality, yet is easy listening. Genius!
on 11 April 2011
This cd has beautiful instrumental moments all the way through. This is my main reason for enjoying it. How sweet, happy and perfect the sound is.
Also how mixed it is! Moving through different years of musical influence.
All with Matt Berry's great voice hovering through it all.

My first 5 star CD
on 20 July 2012
This album grew on me, and now I adore it. Each song is beautiful. I'm not sure how much of it is meant to be serious, and how much comedy (Matt Berry is one of my favourite comedy actors), and don't care - the album stands alone.
I had no idea what was coming when I ordered this. I had never really heard of Matt Berry before, and from the cover art and the title of the album and some of the tracks I was expecting a slice of modern Folk revival, probably in the same vein as Chris Wood. The album arrived and upon closer inspection the artwork reveals itself to not be what it seems, and the first clues that I was in for something different presented themselves. Then I put in the CD player, and I have to say I was captivated.

My Girlfriend, a lot more in tune with popular culture than I am, instantly said `Oh, that's Matt Berry. He was in the Mighty Boosh'. And all suddenly became clear. This is music from someone with an anarchic, surreal sense of humour. The humour is exceedingly restrained, the music is first and foremost. But knowing about it is crucial to `getting' the music.

The music is excellent. Clearly influenced by the likes of Caravan and the prog folk rock movement of the early seventies. Berry serves up many traditional themes and forms, those old fashioned wistful ballads and celebrations of the rural life, but with a side order of prog rock and a streak of slightly (but not totally) tongue in cheek humour. He's not taking the mick, just giving a nod and a wink to let us know that he can see the funny side. It's a great blend, and what we get is an album of excellent music that uplifts and puts a smile on the face. There is even a decent cameo from Paul McCartney.

An excellent album, one that I really enjoyed and will listen to regularly. 5 stars, and I look forward to more from Matt Berry in the future.
on 30 November 2015
Not at all what I was expecting. It's not a comedy record and seems to be sincere in its intentions.
It's un-self-conscious in a way that many contemporary artists struggle with, i.e. it has no interests in commercialism or following the current trends.
And Matt's singing voice seems very unlike his speaking/acting voice.
A weird - but excellent - throwback to seventies music (although, that's probably unfair).
on 7 April 2011
A beautiful sunny spring day,the ideal conditions to discover Matt Berry's glorious new cd. In one word,Magical!!! Good day sir! ...I said,GOOD DAY SIR!!!
on 16 March 2011
I love this album with all of my heart and soul.
Roosting Time may be the most beautiful song ever recorded.
You will not be disappointed