Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£9.09

He's good, that Damon Albarn, isn't he? I've known and liked his work for years, but I can't claim to be a real Albarn aficionado so others may have more informed insights into this album. For what it's worth, though, I think this is a very fine album. It has a rather laid-back, often jazzy feel to it, reminding me of some greats of the 70s and 80s. I was reminded of people like Robert Wyatt, Paul Weller, Pink Floyd in Grantchester Meadows mode, even the more mellow side of Lou Reed...you get the idea. It's great stuff, beautifully produced with pretty stripped-down backing but a lovely rich sound.

The songs are a varied and interesting bunch. As you'd expect from Albarn they are melodically and harmonically excellent and have enjoyable and intelligent lyrics. If there is an overall theme it is the dehumanisation of modern life and how we interact with electronics more and each other less. The album's opening line, "We are everyday robots on our phones..." and lines like, "It's hard to be your lover when the TV's on..." strike home well, I think.

I've listened to this album a lot (I was lucky enough to receive an advance copy), and am continuing to do so with great pleasure. It will be part of the soundtrack to many people's summer, I suspect, but there's real meat here and I think it will last a lot longer. I'd recommend it very warmly.
33 Comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 June 2014
Everyday Robots is heavy. It’s an album weighed down by a kind of lovelorn resignation to modern life’s challenges. It’s there from the opening moments… shuffling out of the shadows and gently clunking, twinkling and wheezing towards the lovely conclusion of ‘Heavy Seas of Love’. Damon sings of the stuff that sits wearily on his shoulders.

There’s something of early Boards of Canada’s landmark hymns to nostalgia in the tone and feel of the album. It’s dense with sound. Things click and whirr. Voices echo in and out of time. Yet the whole thing breathes. It’s open and warm and there’s space enough to climb inside to let it all wash over you. Listened to from afar, it might drift a little. The jaunty excursion of Mr Tembo aside, this is a mono-paced mooch of an album. On occasion the songs drift in to one another, woozily lurching from idea to idea.

It’s beautiful, though. Just listen. Melancholy melodies come and go. Unexpected musical twists catch the ear. The whole thing ebbs and flows. Its hands are dug in pockets and eyes are only for the ground, but its bones and heart are full of hope.
on 29 April 2014
This is such a wonderfully crafted album - really hard to pigeon hole. Elements are raw but always soulful, the melodies can almost be off key but just make it more emotive and the harmonies are just fantastic - for me it's up there with his best work. But a special mention has to go to The Heavy Seas - saw them perform it at the 6 Music festival and it was one of the best gigs I've ever been to.
The album is touted as being autobiographical but I'm guessing that the songs resonate with lots of people (although that could just be my age!) - normal life under the microscope. Too many highlights to mention but for me Hollow Ponds brings back the smells and laziness of being a kid during the summer of 76 before having to lose that innocence to reality. Love it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 15 February 2015
As far as I'm concerned, Damon Albarn, the frontman of Blur and Gorillaz is a god in the world of music, and his debut album, released last year has been long overdue and much anticipated. 'Everyday Roberts' did not disappoint me, and I think it's absolutely beautiful, not to mention addictive. I should point out straight away though that the music on here is nothing much like the material of his two big bands, this is almost a completely new sound for him, and a showcase of his abundance talents.

With honest, reflectful lyrics and a variety of instruments and production used, 'Everyday Roberts' is very pleasing on the ear. My personal favourite song is the quirky 'Mr. Tempo', a jolly little track that makes me feel warm each time I hear it and the one I find myself playing on repeat until I realise that it's now the seventh consecutive time, it should have been a big hit. The title track is stunning, like a Radiohead song with a robots theme, and 'Heavy Seas of Love' and 'Lonely Press Play' are equally wonderful slow-burners.

Damon Albarn is such a versatile talent and a very creative guy. If you are looking for a great album, I highly recommend that you buy your copy of 'Everyday Robots' today, and pre-order the upcoming Blur album which is out in April, music with Mr. Albarn really has always been something!

The deluxe edition is available here: Everyday Robots [CD+DVD], and that contains a bonus DVD, featuring the official promotional video of the title track 'Everyday Robots'.
on 31 May 2014
This is just a quick note for anybody considering the vinyl edition. It's very good. The pressing is excellent, being totally quiet and flat. The sound is crisp, open and with a beautiful tonality. The electronic instrumentals that underpin many of the songs sound fabulous and voices come through strong and believable. It also comes with a CD and mp3 download of the album which is very convenient, although if you have a turntable I doubt you will want to listen to the CD which suffers from the usual compression. A good example of how a modern vinyl edition should be made. Well done EMI
on 4 July 2014
I'm not sure what so people have against this album. Yes it is melancholy in places, but it's also incredibly beautiful. It's also incredibly catchy too - I defy anyone not to sing along to the second part of 'You and Me' which IMO is one of his best songs in years!

If you like Blur, the Gorillaz, or indeed any of the other projects Damon has put his name to in recent years, and give this album a genuine chance, you will be rewarded with one of the best albums of the year, and one of Damon's best!
Everyday Robots by Damon Albarn : A restrained, subtle and often subdued collection of songs. It's a beauty.

I have listened to it every day since procurement a week ago and the tunes are setting up home inside my skull. Why, I just went for a long-distance run over the hills of South London and the mournful chorus of "Selfish Giant" looped in my head for the entire workout (complete with fluttering flute). A day or so ago I was grocery shopping and the gorgeous piano trickles of "Hostiles" were providing a sedate soundtrack to my vegetable selections.

When walking my nephew through the park, the sun emerged from behind a cloud and the uplifting gospel chorus of "Mr Tembo" was immediately poured in to my mind tank. (The ukelele on "Tembo" is also worthy of note as it is wonderfully cheerful.)

"Heavy Seas Of Love" possibly grabs the EARWORMERY GOLD MEDAL. God damn that painfully catchy gospel chorus!! I should sue Mr Albarn for disallowing any coherent thoughts in my brain over this past week.

Mr Albarn, to put it VERY simply, is extremely good at writing songs. Songs that haunt the listener long after listening.

"Everyday Robots" is Damon at the top of his game, doing what he does....and doing it well.
on 1 May 2014
Everyday Robots has to be one of the most eagerly anticipated albums of 2014, with good reason. Having long been removed from his role as Brit-pop pin-up, Damon Albarn has developed over the years into a well-respected, diverse and multi-cultural musician. His lo-fi, trip-hop influenced animated band Gorillaz released three critically and commercially successful albums. His list of collaborators of his career reads like a music geeks dream: Tony Allen, Flea, Toumani Diabaté, Afel Bocoum, Snoop Dogg, Bobby Womack, De La Soul, Little Dragon, Lou reed, Mark E Smith amongst the many heavyweights he has collaborated with. The expectations for Everyday Robots were lofty.

The creaky eponymous opener to the album is a restrained, melancholic track that sets the tone for the entire album, with the exception of the delightfully happy Mr. Tambo. 'Everyday Robots' (the song), perhaps recalls Blur's 2012 single 'Under the Westway' a touch too much - the chord progression is virtually identical, even down to the way the progression is played. It's quite a shame that 'Under the Westway', 'Sunset Coming On' (off Mali Music) and 'Stop the Dams' (off D-Sides - Gorillaz) have already been released: they would be absolutely perfect on this album. 'Everyday Robots' is a restrained, melancholic track that sets the tone for the entire album, with the exception of the delightfully happy Mr. Tambo. Not unlike London itself, the entire album seems to have been recorded under an overcast sky, with short breaks of sunshine breaking through in Mr. Tambo and Heavy Seas of Love. Albarn doesn't push the 'Britishness' of his music as much as early 90's Blur or his Dr. Dee soundtrack album, making the explicit references to Argyle Street in 'The Selfish Giant' somewhat tracks somewhat off-putting in comparison to the rest of the tracks. Another personal preference issue I have with the album is the usage of sound clips in several of the album's songs. While it is used to great effect in 'Everyday Robots' and 'Mr. Tembo', I personally find that they detract from others, in particular 'Photographs (You Are Taking Now)', where the sheer repetitiveness of the sound clip starts to grate. One wonders if the songs would have been better served if the thematic constant of technology and isolation were less blatant in the lyrics. Almost the entire album is down-tempo, with nods to African-Jazz pioneer Ali Farka Touré, Fatoumata Diawara and Omara Portuondo in the finger-style guitar arrangements, instrument choices and at times the constructions of the songs. Despite being slow-paced, the album never seems to drag, and 'Lonely Press Play', 'Heavy Seas of Love', 'Mr. Tambo', and 'Hollow Pond' are my favourite cuts from the album.

Veteran Damon Albarn listeners should know what they're in for with 'Everyday Robots' - the melodies and harmonies are well constructed, with his increasingly minimalist arrangements accentuating his unique voice. Gospel singers, at times almost imperceptible synth/string sections, African and Asian rhythms and instruments, subdued trip-hop drum machines, ruminative lyrics, melancholic yet ultimately uplifting songwriting: it's all here, and 'Everyday Robots' feels like a compendium of Damon's vibrant career. This album is perfect for the more reflective, melancholia-tinged listening, where Damons' introverted and observant lyrics meld with the lilting melodies and accompaniments, and the whole package is tied together with his road-weary baritone to present a perfect early morning album.
on 27 June 2014
By the time I decided to purchase this record (ON VYNIL!) I already knew, through listening to the songs in Spotify, that this was an instant classic. To my ears, it is already the record of the year, and I am sure I will continue to listen to it in the future. No surprise there. Well done, Damon, you're one of the big guys.
I would give this ítem 5 stars, but the stupid music industry did it again, showing new signs of its dinosauric tendency to suicide.
Why split the songs in two LPs, when in the old days a record this long fitted well in a single disc? It's a drag having to flip sides every three songs!
But the most annoying fact came when I tried to claim the MP3 files from the record company's website: the answer was that my code was no longer valid -though the card that came with the record claimed otherwise. And I tried several times. What a waste of time, and of consumer's trust.
Believe me, this is not a cheap thing to buy from Argentina.
If you act as efficiently as the Spanish Empire, don't complain about the pirates.
on 5 July 2014
I'm not a big Blur fan but I appreciate good music and it takes a little persuasion for me to purchase albums these days.
I found this a great honest album and I like the stripped back aspect of it.