on 28 May 2014
Morning Phase appears to be a continuation of Sea Change, which was a radical departure for Beck. Just to qualify that statement, Beck has done slower, melancholy and introspective music before, but often just as a single song on an album. Morning Phase and Sea Change are both album-length explorations of those styles and themes. Maybe it's because I'm of a similar age as Beck, and that we've both grown together that I find his gear shifting in sound so appealing. Who knows. Either way, Morning Phase — like Sea Change before it — is perfect Sunday morning music.
on 27 June 2015
Just a fantastic piece of modern music. Beautifully crafted and perfectly presented "Morning Phase" is by far Becks greatest collection of songs that transport you into a peaceful and satisfied place. Escape the nightmare that is modern pop music, slap this record on and pour a glass of wine. Evening sorted.
on 20 April 2015
I am not a 'fan' and this was not an instant favourite.
Sure, the gorgeous string arrangements, steel guitar picking and the obvious nods to Nick Drake and Simon and Garfunkel were very welcome. But, the funeral pace of every track made it feel like a relentless downer that failed in its search for dynamics. So, I am surprised to say the least that it has went on to be my most 'played on repeat' album of the last few years. As he says , "just let it go". Give yourself in to its glorious torpor.
on 30 May 2014
I am not a fan of Beck but was intrigued by the reviews on Amazon and comparisons with Nick Drake amongst others. Very impressed and will check out the back catalogue. The opening 4 songs is the strongest opening I have heard in years. Heart is a Drum is a favourite and Say Goodbye is a classic break up song. Shades of CSN and Lauren Canyon in LA with some excellent instrumentation and production.
on 6 June 2015
I have never been a fan of beck's music...But heard this on You Tube and bought it straight away. There are numerous musical influences in there - and so while it feels new and modern, it also has a teasing sense and mood of retro bout it. I do recommend this album wholeheartedly.. :O)
on 18 March 2016
Atmospheric and lovely acoustic performances. I am not sure that Beck has moved on much with this album, but there are a few great tracks on this album. More of the same with the usual high standard of studio production.
on 12 November 2017
classic, everything he does is gold
on 15 January 2018
Beck at his best. My favourite lazy weekend tunes. And has become something I use to chill out my little one since he was a couple of days old :-)
on 15 February 2017
Heard a track on an internet radio station and looked up the album. Really good music from start to finish, very pleased.
on 29 April 2018
Beautiful sound. Beautiful mood...Beautiful album! I love it!