on 11 May 2014
This book is amazing I definitely recommend that you read it if your interests are: mystical creatures, amazing battles, epic characters and evil villains then this is the book for you. But I would say to read the first book (house of secrets three normal kids one hell of a curse) before you read house of secrets battle of the beasts because you won't really understand it that we'll.
YOU HAVE TO READ THIS
I'm extremely pleased. But I would like to have the price down a bit even though it has already gone down 56%.
get this book NOW
on 8 April 2015
Disclaimer: While I aim to be unbiased, I received a copy of this for free to review.

When I’m reading a book, I quite often start to formulate a rough idea of what a book’s rating is going to be when I’m only part of the way into it. The ratings quite often change, but it’s rare for them to change as much as this one did!

See, I didn’t think much of it to start with – sure, there was nothing wrong with the writing, but something just didn’t feel right. And I was worried that it was heading towards a cliche, and nobody likes a cliche.

But then something strange happened – I got drawn in by the characters and began to need to know what happened next. It turns out that this is the second book in the series, and that the publicist who sent me this copy had also popped the first book in the post to me – by the time it had arrived, I’d already finished this one.

Perhaps that’s why it took me a while to get into it, but once I got to know the characters and their adventure really began, I started to lose myself in the story. Loosely speaking, we’re following three young members of the Walker family as they try to make their way back home after being transported inside a strange world comprising of a mixture of several different (fictional) books.

And so our heroes end up in Ancient Rome at the Colosseum, on top of an ice mountain with a weird order of monks who are trying to take down some ice monsters, and in the middle of a heated battle between American airmen and Nazi cyborgs. As you can imagine, it can get pretty heated at times, but the writers have got a flair for the story they’re telling and so it’s a thrill to read, throughout.

Speaking of the writers, there’s a story there, too – Columbus is the director of the first two Harry Potter films and Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief, as well as the writer of The Goonies and Gremlins and the mind behind Home Alone, Mrs Doubtfire and Night at the Museum. Vizzini, meanwhile, sadly passed away in 2013, and was the best-selling author of a number of book for teens.

With that kind of pedigree at the helm, as well as the might of Harper Collins behind it, you can see why this would be a pretty good book. I’m sure it’s not for everyone, but as a piece of YA fantasy fiction, you can’t do much better than this. I mean, I’m 25 and I enjoyed reading it, even if I thought Brendan, the family’s younger brother, was a dick.

Now I just need to catch up on the first book and wait for the sequel to come out. It should be a fun ride!
on 5 February 2015
Bought for my son, this was bed time reading. He found it so good he was limited to how many chapters he could read, otherwise he wouldn't sleep. Great action and adventure, very likeable characters. You can never guess what's going to happen next. You would need to read the first book as reference is made to events.
on 3 November 2014
my 8 year old read this book in one night, she absolutely loved it, after reading the first one she cant get enough of this series, she thought it was amazing and wouldnt stop going on about it. she said its incredibly suspenseful.
on 27 April 2014
My little boy is just eight he has a real love of reading. He had read book one which we rented from the Library and immediately he was so hooked he was totally obsessed and needed desperately to read the next book. Well the Library had not got it yet and when they get it there was a huge list of other children equally wanting the same book. We were due to travel back to our house in France and needed a book to keep him happy so we ordered it !! From the moment he got his hands on it, it was none stop reading and before we reached Dover the book was half read, no talking just head in book totally riveted. After reaching France the journey continued with a very happy and excited little boy in the back of the car, then it happened tears and an unhappy face the comment was "they did not make it long enough!!" can you please get me the next book??!! I was hoping it was going to last the return journey too, I mean it was 507 pages!! Please help me and get the next book organised for the Summer Holidays!!
on 3 April 2014
From start to finish I absolutely CHERISHED every word of this AWSOME book.It has a fabulous twist and a ENORMOUS amount of hummer I would recommend this book to any reader in need of an adventurous novel. Honestly if I could I would give this book a 10/10 but unfortunately I only have up to 5 stars .
My main advice is to BUY THIS BOOK AND TRUST ME IT IS EPIC !!!!!!!!!!

Note to Chris Columbus: PLEASE WRITE ANOTHER BOOK FOR THIS SERIES I AM SO EXITED FOR THE NEXT ONE!! Yay!
on 24 June 2014
I would definitely reccomend this book to people aged 9+. Once I started reading I could not stop because it made me feel like I am in the book. You have to read the first book though because it is the most adventurous and action packed book ever but it is a very long book. Happy reading!
By Alex aged 10
on 2 January 2016
I first read house of secrets in Hong Kong. I had already read my 4 books in Singapore so my mum bought it for me. It took me a while to get into it. I tried several times but I finally got attached. I love reading and this would be in my top twelve for reading. When Battle Of The Beasts came out, I bought it immediately and it was as good as the first. I love Will and Cordelia! This book is really worth reading, and you should buy it!
on 20 April 2014
It has things from witches, Roman fighting arenas to Emprers and all strange things.

I gave this book 5/5 because it was amazing but you have to read the first one first or it can come confusing at the start.
on 6 December 2014
Another great example of an awesome book! Chris Columbus has just created an amazing sequel to the house of secrets, adventure, thrill, unpredictablement (not really a word) and surprise are all in this book. GET IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!