on 21 March 2015
A fantastic plot, many twists and turns, plenty of murders, and I read until my eyes ached. However the finale did disappoint me. It was almost as if the author has run out of ideas, and there eere a lot of unanswered questions. But if you get the book you will enjoy it immensely.
on 12 May 2017
Expert one-liners , clever, funny. An easy read and let us have more of Ben and family. I cannot wait.
on 31 January 2014
Just goes to show what facebook can do, as I was browsing the various book clubs I came across a post from Harry James Krebs asking if people would be interested in doing an ARC review. I jumped at the chance as I love reading and he sent me Vengeance is Mine...after a few technical difficulties ha ha

When I started the book I wasn't sure I was going to like it. I thought the first few pages didn't really grab me and wondered if I should I carry on. As I promised to write a review I thought I had better persevere and damn, I am glad I did! If I'm honest, my only criticism is that the few part of the book could have been interwoven throughout the chapters and would have, in my view, had a better impact on the reader. But then we get pulled into the life lf Ben Tucker and once your in...you don't want to put this book down!

Ben Tucker is a crime author/journalist who becomes involved in a police investigation as a consultant to start off with. The investigation flags up memories from his past and then becomes extremely personal. The characters in this book really come alive. I laughed, I got angry and I even nearly shed a tear (and that is a feat in itself as I am known as The Ice Queen!) Needless to say I got a few stares on my train journeys and even nearly ended up missing my stop as I just didn't want to stop reading!

This was one of those rare books where I actually felt the emotions the characters were going through. I want to talk through each chapter but that would spoil it for everyone else so I'll reluctantly refrain. However, I am certainly a fan of Mr Krebs and was happy to hear that this was not the last opportunity to meet Ben Tucker.

If you enjoy crime thrillers, a snippet of romance, a great twist and believable characters than you will really enjoy this book. So Harry, get writing and publishing those books as I'm not sure I want to wait to catch up with Ben again!
I am already looking forward to more Benjamin Tucker mysteries. I felt really drawn to him and OK there are flaws in his character but that only makes him more likeable. He is haunted by a horrific brutal event in his past, a serial killer is out there and things start to get personal. The author is a great storyteller and manages to build up tension with many twists and turns, I enjoy the short sentences, paragraphs and chapters creating a good pace.

It was an edgy, tingling read, with a few lighter moments. The plot was good and kept me guessing. Scene setting was vivid both in the house and the crime scene. The characters were believable and I enjoyed the read from page one.

Of course I love Oscar the lopsided Daschund and there were a few questions that I am sure will be answered in later books.

Lots of drama, a recommended read.

Barbara Goldie, from the Kindle Book Review
The Kindle Book review received a free copy of this book for an independent, fair and honest review. We are not associated with the author or Amazon.
on 1 October 2014
Vengeance Is Mine by Harry James Krebs is the first book in the Benjamin Tucker Mystery Series,

Seventeen years after his girlfriend was killed and beheaded a serial killer has emerged killing and beheading his victims. Benjamin Tucker is an ex-investigative reporter turned successful crime novel author and an amateur detective. Recently married to a very wealthy woman he has everything he could hope for including kids, a great mother-in-law, a temperamental cook and a lopsided dog.

When gruesome murders start to occur near his home town he offers his services to the police in the hunt to track the killer. A serial killer is beheading his female victims and taking away their heads and Ben has to help discover who the killer is and how he operates.

But what are the killer’s motives and can he protect his family and stay alive when the killer focuses in on him?

Vengeance Is Mine is an excellent, well-written thriller with believable characters and I can honestly say it has to be one of the best books, if not the best, I have read this year. A great mix of characters with a plot that keeps you turning the page wanting more.

From start to finish this is one book that is exciting, absorbing and keeping the reader immersed in the story.

A truly exciting and thrilling crime novel with a dangerous killer, quirky police officers, humour and romance it has a bit of everything to stop you putting the book down. I can’t wait for the next in the series.

If crime thrillers are your thing and you only read one book this year, I highly recommend Vengeance Is Mine, you won’t be disappointed.

Superb.
on 30 April 2014
Vengeance is Mine (Benjamin Tucker, #1) by Harry James Krebs

Benjamin Tucker, a true crime author likes to help authorities solve brutal crimes. Then one(murder) happens close to home, the murders are brutal and viscous. Soon Ben is being stalked by the murderer and he and his family are in danger.

A fast paced, page turning all night read. Some twists and turns that will having you reading late into the night. The plot was fantastic, an original story line. I recommend to those who love a great murder/thriller/suspense.
This book sets up the background for the story in two pages. This is great as so many books take chapters to accomplish that. Ben Tucker’s girlfriend, Christine, was murdered when he was 17 and it haunts him to this day.

He is a true crime writer and recently married to a wealthy woman, Maggie. Ben’s daughter, Amanda Jane lives with Ben’s ex-wife. Julie is Maggie’s daughter and lives with them as does Nora, Maggie’s mom. Of course, we can’t forget Roberta, the housekeeper. Reading about her wonderful meals makes me hungry and wishing I had a Roberta in my life. And then there is the loveable Oscar, a dachshund who is a little lopsided and tends to fall into the pool.

A second headless corpse has been found by the police and Ben is called in to help. It brings back the memories of Christine’s murder. This makes Ben all that much more eager to solve the crimes and makes Maggie unhappy as it brings unwanted publicity to her business.

Lt. Netter is on the case. He and Ben have a good relationship so Ben is allowed to take his own pictures of the crime scenes and has access to the information the police have on the crimes.

Once the suspect has a face and name, the story gets really interesting. But before I say too much and give the whole story away, I will say this book was hard to put down and I found myself reading when I should have been doing other things.

The crime has been solved but there are a couple of questions that remain unanswered which lends itself well for a second book. These characters are well written and they could be people you and I might know. I hope the author plans on a series with these characters.
on 20 June 2014
If you are the type of reader who is very impatient, the beginning of this book might make you question your decision to read it. I was the same way, but you really will want to stick it out. Within a few pages, the excitement begins and then it pretty much doesn't stop until the very end.

Ben Tucker is a great hero. He reminds me a bit of a Jesse Stone/Stone Barrington cross. He is intelligent, quirky and haunted by a past that makes him seek justice. I like characters that have a reason for their actions and a foundation to spring from. This book does that and does it well.

This is part suspense thriller and part murder mystery. There are portions that get a bit procedural, especially when dealing with the bodies, so if you have a weak stomach, you have been warned.

The action scenes in this book are thrilling and intense and leave you rapidly rushing to the next page to find out what happens next. If you have anything else to do the day you pick this book up, you should call to cancel your appointments.

In the end, I thought this book was better than a lot of the other mysteries out there, including the ones with big names on the front cover. I definitely recommend it if you want excitement.

This review is based on a complimentary copy from the author. All opinions are my own.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 20 September 2014
‘Vengeance is Mine’ written by Harry James Krebs is start of obviously successful ‘Benjamin Tucker Mystery’ series that is introducing troubled though still likable main protagonist.

The main character named Ben Tucker is a crime author and journalist who will become consultant in a police investigation due to the irrational drive to seek justice for victims of extreme violence. During the investigation, many things from his past will surface as the reader slowly puts together s mosaic of life of the main character that started with a horrific event in his past that haunts him since then.

When a serial killer will begin assaulting women, Ben will provide his help but everything will get personal when the villain will turn attention to Ben's beloved ones…

The main qualities of Krebs novel are certainly believable characters and action that takes place on his pages. With Ben Tucker character, the author managed to introduce protagonist that despite his flaws will quickly become favored by reader.

‘Vengeance is Mine’ is one of those books that fans of thrillers usually read in one breath, unable to leave it because of all the excitement and upheavals that are happening on its pages, with occasional humor and romance motives.

Therefore if you are looking for a new crime novel, and potentially successful new series that features great twist and turns and provides a bit of romance and humor, ‘Vengeance is Mine’ by Harry James Krebs can be fully recommended.
on 17 June 2015
This is a book that most definitely fits in the adult category due to its language and the some of the description of the crime scenes, it is a mesmerizing tale of Benjamin Tucker, crime author and amateur detective who is swept up in the investigation of a serial killer who decapitates his female victims.

I loved the characters in Ben’s family. They brought humour and lightness to this otherwise dark story of murder. Of course, this blended family wasn’t totally realistic though, because what blended family could get along so well and not have any issues to work out? I enjoyed the fantasy of it however.

Though this was a serious book with a serious topic Krebs was able to inject it with humour and wit through the personalities of his characters. He’ll have you drooling over the fabulous dishes Roberta cooks up. My favourite character of all was Oscar, Ben lopsided dachshund who had difficulty steering himself and easily ended up requiring rescuing from the pool.

The mystery of who this killer was and why he was so fascinated with Ben Tucker was so filled with twists and turns it was a true roller coaster ride. And the ride was fast! I didn’t want to put this book down because I wanted answers, and I wanted them now!

If you enjoy the mystery/thriller/crime genres, I’m pretty sure you’ll enjoy Vengeance is Mine. This was a very entertaining and thrilling book to read. I rated it 4 out of 5 due to the amount of profanity.

Thank you to the author for providing a copy of the book in exchange for a fair and honest review. A positive opinion was not required. All thoughts are my own.

To see my complete review, visit Shelf Full of Books http://kathrynsshelffullofbooks.blogspot.com/2015/06/book-review-vengeance-is-mine-by-harry.html